Guthrie available as a salary dump (Guthrie traded to KC)

wildcard

Bring him back. No question. Who are we to be snobs about who joins the starting rotation of this team? Our rotation is swiss cheese right now and there's a player who can be had for next to nothing and has a history of success (or something like it) with the Orioles. This is a no brainer. Get on the phone.

This is really the point. If he is truly an almost no cost option, I say welcome back.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would also be a good PR move. If the team is just "maintaining" in a few weeks, it couldnt hurt to have Guts back. The casual fan would love the move.

Even as someone who watched almost every one of Guts' starts in 2011 on MLB.TV (and one of them in person, too), I still love the idea of this move. He's a very nice guy, and when he's not giving up 3-run homers at Coors Field, he's a class act. That, and we know full well what we're getting.

To think. Last year Guts was our "ace". This year he'd be a #5 or long man. I dare say our standards have improved, but even so, Guts would be most welcome by the fans. If only they can overcome their aversion to him in the clubhouse.

Do you really think this is all DD would do?

I am not worried that this is not all he will do, but what he does will be too late (not that it will matter since we are probably not a play-off team anyway), but I do wish something would happen soon to help our cause....if it is going to happen at all. I know the extreme number of teams still in the hunt is killing the big trades right now, but that worries me as well, this chips may start to fall when it is really, really too late....

I really hope they bring him back. I'm sure he'll be fine. His numbers are fine, aside from the doubling of his HR/9. That's gotta be a Coors field thing.

HR/IP

@Coors: 14/41.67 = a homer every 3 innings

Away: 7/49 = a homer every 7 innings

Last year, in 208 IP (nice!), Guthrie gave up 26 home runs (14 @OPACY) = one every 8 innings.

So, yes, it is a Coors thing!

Its funny how Guthrie was holding out for more in arbitration then quickly agreed to Colorado's price. Makes me think he wanted out of Baltimore about as bad as Buck wanted him out.

However if it is only going to cost us money I say go get him for the stretch run. He is going to be very very motivated to do well. Because he needs to get paid next year and a great last two months might save his season.

Its funny how Guthrie was holding out for more in arbitration then quickly agreed to Colorado's price. Makes me think he wanted out of Baltimore about as bad as Buck wanted him out.

However if it is only going to cost us money I say go get him for the stretch run. He is going to be very very motivated to do well. Because he needs to get paid next year and a great last two months might save his season.

Right. He's going to help himself greatly if he can pull it together for whoever he gets picked up by, may as well be us.

This would be a very good move. Guthrie seems like one of the most visible "good guys" in baseball right now so if Buck has some undefined problem with him, I think he should get over it. I've never heard a negative word about him. However, the Rockies might be almost too humiliated to send him back to us. It would be pretty brutal PR for them.

Archived