Guthrie available as a salary dump (Guthrie traded to KC)

wildcard

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Royals gave up a guy they were ready to DFA for a guy who still has a sub 4 ERA on the NL road. He's still a

good athlete who can and will pitch better.

The Orioles obviously dont have"room" for Guthrie or they have a problem with him.

I think the Royals pulled off a coup.

Or the Rockies didn't want to embarrass themselves by trading him back for pennies on the dollar.

I am not interested in any two month rentals.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

Source: #Rockies starter Jeremy Guthrie traded to #Royals for Jonathan Sanchez.

Junk for Junk trade. Guthrie maybe more of "sure thing" (whatever that means for him at this point) while Sanchez has had the awesome stuff

Granted both have sucked

I wish Guts the best! I liked him when he was here. Good guy, kept his chin up during some tough O's years. I don't know why everyone is down on him. He was a scrapped former 1st Round Pick, who we took a chance on and he was pretty successful considering the teams on which he played. Not saying the guy is a Star, but just saying that he put in some good time with the O's and he did a lot for the community during his time here.

My joke comment would be, "Does the altitude make it TREMENDOUSLY easier to throw strikes?" Jokes aside, Sanchez has decent Coors numbers in the past at least. I would still look at the slow but consistent drop in fastball velocity and usage with some alarm.

The Royals are 13 games under .500. This will cost them about $1 mm in additional salary. It definitely is an upgrade for them, but it doesn't serve much strategic purpose that I can see.
Maybe they are thinking that if he pitches well in 2-3 starts, they can flip him as part of a bigger package. Or maybe it's a relatively cheap acquisition to help them win some more games this season. It's not a "going for it" move, but maybe if he pitches decently, some more fans show up to the games. It looks like they're averaging their highest attendance since Kauffman opened, though I don't know if that's just because attendance is higher in the first half of the season in general or not.

The Royals are 13 games under .500. This will cost them about $1 mm in additional salary. It definitely is an upgrade for them, but it doesn't serve much strategic purpose that I can see.

Probably just someone to eat some innings and potentially trade at the deadline if he pitches well for a few weeks.

Let's be realistic. Guthrie was never an above-average pitcher. Average at best.

So the seasons in which he pitched above average don't count? 2007 and 2008 he certainly performed above average, and 2010 was pretty decent, too. He might be average to below-average now, but to say he "was never an above-average pitcher" is a bit silly. For at least two seasons, he was above-average.

Archived