Guthrie available as a salary dump (Guthrie traded to KC)

wildcard

From the Royals perspective, this was an absolute steal and on a lot of levels far deeper than just aquiring one troubled SP for another. I believe one to one alone Guthrie will be better than Sanchez has been, but the Royals got a player for someone they were going to DFA and eventually outright.

Guthrie may or may not be mediocre for them, but let's face it, they aren't planning on making a pennant run. Guthrie will eat innings and keep KC from maintaining the revolving door from Omaha and placing him in the rotation with Chen, Hochevar, Mendoza and currently Smith will ease some of the load on an already taxed pen.

Guthrie brings experience and knowledge and from what I understand is very intelligent; I think he will be a great help to the upcoming Salvador Perez who was extended early in the year and the Royals believe is a Superstar Catcher in the making. Hopefully he can also provide some veteran insight for Hosmer and Moustakis who at times have struggled for consistency. This is a youthful team that needs some leadership; Jason Kendall was signed to a minor league deal more as a player coach to help Tim Montgomery who has tons of potential, is a big strong LHP but has not been able to put it all together. Add to that your young 1B, maybe the best young SS in the game, a young 3B and Catcher, and outfield that will have Gordon and soon Will Myers in addition to Cain or Dyson and you have the youngest team in baseball. No idea whether Giovatella ever gets a shot - he seems to be on the outs with the organization despite his strong bat in AAA, but if he does at 2B your whole lineup is 28 and under (Getz is only 28 as well and Francoeur, 28 is up for trade to open a spot for Myers)

With the addition of Guthrie, the team now has 3, yes 3, solid veteran players over 30 - Chen, Guthrie, Betancourt (Note Brayan Pena also 30, but has always been a backup). I love what they did and still expect them to make some moves - Broxton, Francoeur and perhaps some prospects to get more help for the rotation - Duffy and Paulino are out until next year some time.

For what it's worth, just some thoughts from here in KC!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ERA+ of 96 this year. Guthrie hasn't changed they have just gotten the good Guthrie recently. It could strike midnight at any time.

Yeah, he's basically always been an average-ish pitcher, with an above-average ability to eat innings. Well, I guess he had a couple of years with the O's where his results were also above average, but it always seemed like the O's could never score when he pitched.

Uh, aren't you at all able to recognize when a comment is tongue in cheek?
Not when it's from weams I have no idea what he is trying to say most of the time. Maybe if I was in the old boys' club I would but I have never been a fan of old boys' clubs. As a charter member maybe you could interpret.

Not when it's from weams I have no idea what he is trying to say most of the time. Maybe if I was in the old boys' club I would but I have never been a fan of old boys' clubs. As a charter member maybe you could interpret.

You're one of the oldest boys here. But there is no old boys club here that I know of. I doubt many posters, young, old, male or female, thought weams' post was anything other than a joke. But I shouldn't have teased you about it, so I apologize. Next time I'll just say I believe he was joking.

Archived