The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

It can't be so unfathomable, or JJ Hardy probably wouldn't have asked for trade protection, or at least a gentleman's agreement, after signing his extension last year.

Not that I'm suggesting I agree with the idea that the Pads extended Street in order to trade him.

I recall the Sux signed Arroyo and then traded him.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would the O's trade Strop and JJ? That leaves a huge hole in the 8th inning... And Strop is really the only power pitcher in the pen at the moment. I'd think they'd want to keep him.

And are you pulling this stuff out of your ass, or do you really think they'd trade JJ and Strop? Because I'd love to have Headley and Street but it'd hurt to lose both Strop and JJ.

Really uncalled for quite frankly.... Section18 is a good poster and has been around here a long time.

do you really think they'd trade JJ and Strop? Because I'd love to have Headley and Street but it'd hurt to lose both Strop and JJ.

In order to get Headley & in this case Street the Orioles are going to have to give something up...Likely something that they really dont want to part with, and certainly a player the fans wont be happy about. If the main parting players were JJ & Strop for these two I'd be happy with the deal. I wont like seeing them go ...But I think we'd have a better team with these two. And you could insert Lindstrom (A former closer) or Pomeranz into the 8th inning who looked really solid earlier this season. Both throw pretty hard by the way!

Peter Gammons just said on MLB Network that the Padres just didn't get an adequate offer from any team and have decided to keep Headley until the winter and listen to offers again then. Of course with about 2 days until the deadline anything can happen but I think the Padres are 99% set on keeping Headley and crushing the hopes of many of us O's fan. Time to move on

Peter Gammons just said on MLB Network that the Padres just didn't get an adequate offer from any team and have decided to keep Headley until the winter and listen to offers again then. Of course with about 2 days until the deadline anything can happen but I think the Padres are 99% set on keeping Headley and crushing the hopes of many of us O's fan. Time to move on

Dont be so convinced .... Reports are leaked to the media frequently this time of year. They mean nothing. The Padres have a player they want to call up and slot at 3B.

No adequate offer, huh? I would think leverage is more in the Padres favor now than it will be over the winter. They need to put down the crack pipe and get a deal done with somebody.

I don't know what the Padres are expecting. They are likely to get more now when teams are desperate . Its not like Headley is putting up MVP caliber numbers. He's a nice player but not an elite player. The Padres tried to hold teams hostage in a weak 3b market, and teams are calling their bluffs. Im kinda glad that seems to be biting the Pads in the you know what.

I don't know what the Padres are expecting. They are likely to get more now when teams are desperate . Its not like Headley is putting up MVP caliber numbers. He's a nice player but not an elite player. The Padres tried to hold teams hostage in a weak 3b market, and teams are calling their bluffs. Im kinda glad that seems to be biting the Pads in the you know what.

Wow a good post :eek: I will throw you a little ...Keep it coming!

Really uncalled for quite frankly.... Section18 is a good poster and has been around here a long time.

In order to get Headley & in this case Street the Orioles are going to have to give something up...Likely something that they really dont want to part with, and certainly a player the fans wont be happy about. If the main parting players were JJ & Strop for these two I'd be happy with the deal. I wont like seeing them go ...But I think we'd have a better team with these two. And you could insert Lindstrom (A former closer) or Pomeranz into the 8th inning who looked really solid earlier this season. Both throw pretty hard by the way!

Yeah, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant has he heard anything or is he speculating. Probably came off differently than I meant it to.

And tbh, I've been a die hard O's fan for a while, but I don't know much about trade value etc... (much more knowledgeable in hockey in that regard) so I just thought it was kind of interesting, and out of left field, to see JJ and Strop's names in a trade proposal, since they're arguably our 2 best relief pitchers.

Wow a good post :eek: I will throw you a little ...Keep it coming!

I've decided to step back from the ledge a bit and look at things from a different perspective ;). If we don't get Headley now id look into David Wright in the offseason. He's not as good with the glove but he'd be a bigger upgrade offensively while not killing you in the field.

Yeah, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant has he heard anything or is he speculating. Probably came off differently than I meant it to.

And tbh, I've been a die hard O's fan for a while, but I don't know much about trade value etc... (much more knowledgeable in hockey in that regard) so I just thought it was kind of interesting, and out of left field, to see JJ and Strop's names in a trade proposal, since they're arguably our 2 best relief pitchers.

Fair enough ... Sec18 isnt a insider and that I know of none post info here anymore. Im not even sure the guys that did are tied into this front office. That said I think we will feel some pain when a deal that is made. If not it would be a extremely one sided deal. No way you get Headley in that kind of deal.

I think a fair deal for Headley is choice of 1 of cavalry , Hoes, and the comp pick. If I needed to ship JJ & Strop for Street to get it done I do it in a heart beat. So Headley & Street for Matusz, JJ, Strop, & Hoes would be a fair trade. If I needed to swap Schoop for Hoes I'd still do it.

I recall the Sux signed Arroyo and then traded him.

I think that's the only example folks have come up with (it's on the prior page).

As for JJ - I'm sure he was concerned, but I'm not sure a "gentleman's agreement" says much. There's always a possibility that a player will be traded, but I doubt he was concerned about a sign-and-trade, just that he would be traded sometime in his first year. That's not what we're talking about with Huston Street.

I think a fair deal for Headley is choice of 1 of cavalry , Hoes, and the comp pick. If I needed to ship JJ & Strop for Street to get it done I do it in a heart beat. So Headley & Street for Matusz, JJ, Strop, & Hoes would be a fair trade. If I needed to swap Schoop for Hoes I'd still do it.

Holy crap what a terrible trade. I'm glad you're not in charge.

And honestly, I think the Pads are just trying to see if anyone will step up and overpay . The talking heads on espn and the mlb network said the Marlins are 95% sure they are keeping JJ. Yet they are also reporting now up to 15 teams had scouts to watch JJ. The Marlins must be telling teams he's available.

I've decided to step back from the ledge a bit and look at things from a different perspective ;). If we don't get Headley now id look into David Wright in the offseason. He's not as good with the glove but he'd be a bigger upgrade offensively while not killing you in the field.

Im not sure that Headley couldnt be close with the bat if he got out of San Diego. He may not hit 30 bombs ...But he may hit 20-25.

Holy crap what a terrible trade. I'm glad you're not in charge.

How is it terrible ?

Its Basically Headley for Matusz & Hoes and Street for JJ & Strop

So you under pay for Headley and overpay a little for Street. Street is a more accomplished closer with a better track record. Again explain how its terrible.

Archived