The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

Quite honestly, I do not believe we will do anything by the deadline. We may try something in August after waivers but it is my opinion that we really do not have any viable trading chips other than Bundy and Machado and we cannot afford to mortgage what future we have by trading those two. I wish I felt differently but the prior GM management left the entire organization in a shambles regarding minor league depth. That and PA not wanting to spend money on scouts, International players, and FAs. Maybe some day.....

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it terrible ?

Its Basically Headley for Matusz & Hoes and Street for JJ & Strop

So you under pay for Headley and overpay a little for Street. Street is a more accomplished closer with a better track record. Again explain how its terrible.

2 good relief pitchers for 1 is a terrible move on any level. Just because 1 guy has accumulated more saves doesn't make him any better.

I wonder if the fascination with Street wouldn't have occurred if JJ hasn't been shaky the last few times.

Holy crap what a terrible trade. I'm glad you're not in charge.

Yeah, I think that the Orioles could get a nice young third baseman if they decided to deal JJ and Strop. Those two would give a team a nice 8th and 9th inning option to go along with what they had prior to a deal. I do not think these deal makes much sense becuase you weaken your strength to slightly better your offense and defense? Now, I would give up JJ and Matusz for Street and Headley. This team just has too many holes to address during a single trade deadline.

2 good relief pitchers for 1 is a terrible move on any level. Just because 1 guy has accumulated more saves doesn't make him any better.

I wonder if the fascination with Street wouldn't have occurred if JJ hasn't been shaky the last few times.

It is Strop and Johnson for Street and Headley we are talking about here, right? Not Strop and JJ for Street which would be just plain stupid. There are rumors that the Mariners are pushing hard for Brandon Belt, if so, I would think that he could make sense for the O's as somethign of a long term solution at a position of weakness.

Quite honestly, I do not believe we will do anything by the deadline. We may try something in August after waivers but it is my opinion that we really do not have any viable trading chips other than Bundy and Machado and we cannot afford to mortgage what future we have by trading those two. I wish I felt differently but the prior GM management left the entire organization in a shambles regarding minor league depth. That and PA not wanting to spend money on scouts, International players, and FAs. Maybe some day.....

This is simply not true ... All of the 4 pitchers from the cavalry have value to a rebuilding team. We have Machado, Bundy, Bundy, Schoop, Hoes , S Johnson, M Bridewell, M Wright (Probably best FB in the organization)thats not D Bundy, Esposito, Delmonico, Schrader , Rudeger.

Yeah, I think that the Orioles could get a nice young third baseman if they decided to deal JJ and Strop. Those two would give a team a nice 8th and 9th inning option to go along with what they had prior to a deal. I do not think these deal makes much sense becuase you weaken your strength to slightly better your offense and defense? Now, I would give up JJ and Matusz for Street and Headley. This team just has too many holes to address during a single trade deadline.

1st Headley blows away anything we've tried at 3B this season. Slightly is just not accurate.

The trade is basically Matusz, Strop, and Hoes for Headley & JJ for Street ...Its a fair deal and thats why WO doesnt like it.

The difference is your getting Headley for Matusz & Hoes (which without the reliever part just wouldnt happen). I dont care about JJ's struggle that last few games...He's been excellent ...But Street would certainly be a adequate replacement for JJ. Lindstrom could pitch the 8th and once Pomeranz is ready he could well in late 1 inning situations IMO.

Im not sure that Headley couldnt be close with the bat if he got out of San Diego. He may not hit 30 bombs ...But he may hit 20-25.

Yep. He's a very productive player outside of Petco. If you project his numbers away from Petco into 100 games, he'd have 20 2B 18hr 54 RBI .272AVG .372 OBP .484 SLG .856 OPS ... That's not even taking into account that he has to face better pitching in the NL and that his team has scored the 3rd least runs in the majors.

He's also young, cheap, and he'd be the only switch hitter on our team that can hit from both sides of the plate. Even if the goal isn't to contend this year (not saying it isn't/shouldn't) he can still help the team contend for years. The way I see it, our outfield is pretty much set for years. Reimold, Jones, Markakis. If Reimold can't stay healthy then we can just sign somebody else. So my point is that I'd be willing to deal Avery or Hoes as a main piece. Then Matusz/Britton/Arrieta/Comp pick as the other main piece. If they want a bit more, give it to them. Headley IMO is worth it. Quality>Quantity.

1st Headley blows away anything we've tried at 3B this season. Slightly is just not accurate.

The trade is basically Matusz, Strop, and Hoes for Headley & JJ for Street ...Its a fair deal and thats why WO doesnt like it.

I don't like the deal because I do not want both Strop and JJ in the deal. YThe deal can still be made fair without giving up both those guys. JJ for Street doesn't make the Orioles better. I am fine with Matusz, Hoes and Johnson/Strop for Headley. Why can't that be the deal without landing Street?

Thanks for the support earier JohnnyK27. If you recall last night someone posted the Orioles reportedly are discussing Rafael Betancourt with the Rockies. If the teams willing to trade (The Marlins, Padres and Phillies) are dumping salaries Strop and JJ would be attractive to them.

July 29, 2012 Source: RotoWire

News: Betancourt has generated interest from the Orioles, Yankees and Athletics on the trade market, the Denver Post reports. [+]

Betancourt makes $4 mill per year and Street just signed for $7 mill per year. They would be 2 expensive pieces to add to the pen but both are excellent relievers. The NYY are also in on Betancourt as mentioneed above. Would you rather have Betancourt as your set up guy and closer when Street's not available and Street as our closer or Strop and JJ? Forget their salary. I'll take Betancourt and Street. Both have pitched in the American League. Betancourt had excellent numbers with Cleveland from 2003 - 2009. Street pitched with Oakland from 2005-2008 and has a career ERA of 2.97. Betancourt has a career ERA of 3.17.

If it takes including Strop and JJ to get Headley and/or Josh Johnson I would do it as long as I know I can land Street and Betancourt. It's been mentioned off and on the last few weeks the Orioles were looking for relief help.

Yep. He's a very productive player outside of Petco. If you project his numbers away from Petco into 100 games, he'd have 20 2B 18hr 54 RBI .272AVG .372 OBP .484 SLG .856 OPS ... That's not even taking into account that he has to face better pitching in the NL and that his team has scored the 3rd least runs in the majors.

He's also young, cheap, and he'd be the only switch hitter on our team that can hit from both sides of the plate. Even if the goal isn't to contend this year (not saying it isn't/shouldn't) he can still help the team contend for years. The way I see it, our outfield is pretty much set for years. Reimold, Jones, Markakis. If Reimold can't stay healthy then we can just sign somebody else. So my point is that I'd be willing to deal Avery or Hoes as a main piece. Then Matusz/Britton/Arrieta/Comp pick as the other main piece. If they want a bit more, give it to them. Headley IMO is worth it. Quality>Quantity.

I doubt Avery or Hoes is enough to be the main guy. I think a deal with either as the main player you'd have to pay 3 or 4 player/pick deal./

I don't like the deal because I do not want both Strop and JJ in the deal. YThe deal can still be made fair without giving up both those guys. JJ for Street doesn't make the Orioles better. I am fine with Matusz, Hoes and Johnson/Strop for Headley. Why can't that be the deal without landing Street?

Are you saying it would make them worse? Just asking

I'm not saying it cant ...Just going off the proposed. Im just saying I wouldnt let it stop me.

I doubt Avery or Hoes is enough to be the main guy. I think a deal with either as the main player you'd have to pay 3 or 4 player/pick deal./

I forgot to add Schoop in there too. I'd do Schoop + Hoes/Avery + Matusz or Schoop/Hoes/Avery + Britton/Arrieta/Comp pick though.

Actually, i could care less what they give for Headley as long as its not Bundy or Machado. Any other prospects/young players are unproven and could easily bust as we've seen with so many young O's before. Headley's also somewhat young but he's already a proven quality 3B, which happens to be a position of need. And I think he will be traded, but the Padres are just trying to get as much as possible for him, which they can't be blamed for...

Headley betters the Orioles at third, but the deal would weaken the pen and take away a very cheap closer in the waiting in addition to the best closer in the AL this season. I want Headley and I would have no issue giving up some combination of Avery, Hoes, Matusz, Tillman, Strop, Johnson for Street and Headley, but I would rather the deal be:

Avery

Hoes

Matusz/Tillman

Strop/Johnson

The Rockies could get Johnson and flip he for a haul of young prospects. IMO, this is what the Orioles should be doing right now.

Archived