When Will Double Digit Strikeouts in A Game Stop?

section18

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to look at an individual player and say his overall performance is poor because he K's too much, that is fine. When you say that a player or players are hurting the team because of K's and irrespective of performance (which is often done) then you are wrong. From a statistical standpoint, K's are largely insignificant. In the end it's about performance and not K's

The idea of K's being bad - just as a singular event - could probably be made in isolation, if you wanted to get really weird about it. A "K" is bad, in the pure sense, because it means the batter does not get on base. But if you broaden the context to include *any* meaningful game situations - a runner on first, and not hitting into a DP, the batter's production over time, etc. - then you can't categorically say K's are bad. It's all about understanding K's in the context of a game, and a batter's individual approach to hitting, IMO.

I love this topic, because there is so much room for intelligent argument on both sides.

The idea of K's being bad - just as a singular event - could probably be made in isolation, if you wanted to get really weird about it. A "K" is bad, in the pure sense, because it means the batter does not get on base. But if you broaden the context to include *any* meaningful game situations - a runner on first, and not hitting into a DP, the batter's production over time, etc. - then you can't categorically say K's are bad. It's all about understanding K's in the context of a game, and a batter's individual approach to hitting, IMO.

I love this topic, because there is so much room for intelligent argument on both sides.

I don't know. it seems pretty straight forward. Yes, you can isolate AB's and particular situations (or particular players) when they are plusses and minuses. We know which situations are plusses, which are minuses and which one's are neutral. On aggregate K's are statistically insignificant. I'm not sure how much further room for debate there is. The overall data is pretty convincing. El Gordo brings up a good point (which has been mentioned before) that high K guys often generate high PPA's and that has to be considered a plus.

When we get rid of Reynolds. He's a waste of space. It's sad that when he gets up with runners on base, you know it'll be 3 whiffs.

You know, there's this awesome new thing called "the Internet" that allows to actually look things up instead of making blatantly inaccurate statements. Reynolds is actually a better hitter with runners on base than he is with the bases empty. And he's one of the Orioles' best hitters with runners in scoring position, with an .850 OPS.

Reynolds isn't having a good year, but let's not act like he's a guaranteed out or a strikeout machine with runners on. Getting the facts straight is never a bad thing.

Price dominated us today, but he only struck out 5, and 2 of them were questionable at that (Adam Jones and Taylor Teagarden.)

Teagarden actually had 2 (potentially) game-winning hits today. In the first inning, when he was robbed of a 2-RBI double, and the game winning double that he actually got.

I don't know. it seems pretty straight forward. Yes, you can isolate AB's and particular situations (or particular players) when they are plusses and minuses. We know which situations are plusses, which are minuses and which one's are neutral. On aggregate K's are statistically insignificant. I'm not sure how much further room for debate there is. The overall data is pretty convincing. El Gordo brings up a good point (which has been mentioned before) that high K guys often generate high PPA's and that has to be considered a plus.

You just made my point for me. :)

They just showed a chart on TV showing the Orioles as having the second most 10+ strikeout games (38). The Nationals lead with 39.

Wow - so K's and winning do correlate! With walk and OBP leader Reynolds, however, I'm actually happy for him when he makes contact even when it's an inning ending GIDP. I just get excited when he finally makes contact. :hearts:

Archived