Orioles plan to select the contract of INF Manny Machado

Greg

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

More Duq: "I think Manny improves our team. Manny should be a plus defender wherever we play him. He's a five-tool player."

I kind of wish DD didn't BS like that, Manny isn't slow but he's not a 5 tool guy.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If true, either supremely stupid or brilliant. There is no in-between.

So much for the not-riushing-prospects plan. I guess we can look forward to Dylan Bundy being called up in September! :D

It's niether stupid, nor brilliant, just necessary. This is the only move the O's can do. They want another middle infielder type since Flaherty went on the DL, and their only choice on the 40-man is Ryan Adams who is barely hitting his weight. Not much else to choose from at AAA, so it's either Schoop or Machado at Bowie. I'd have preferred Schoop since Machado's defense isn't so good. I doubt Manny will fill in at second base, so the O's must be calling him up because he's the only decent bat among their AAA and AA infielders right now, and that may make more of an impact than an extra good glove. Doesn't matter what the reason was, Manny won't have to worry about his coffee getting cold before going back down.

sfosfan

Welcome to the Dan Duquette era. The best time to bring up your young guys is when a team is going good. He can come and fit in and not be asked to save the world. Essentially no pressure but to fit in. Duq was notorious for these moves in Boston.
Smart man, that DD.

Currently trailing and fighting for our first playoff spot in 14 years = "no pressure"? Huh.

I'm pretty excited and now thinking about going to the game tomorrow night... but my head tells me this is probably a mistake. One good week is great but we're going to jump a 19 year old from just-holding-his-own in AA to the majors? Not to mention the potential lost FA year...

Those of you who want to see the Orioles take risks for a playoff spot this season are getting your prayers answered, for sure.

Pretty exciting.

He's hitting .444 with an OPS of 1.401 over his last 10 games, so maybe we're not rushing him as much as he's forcing his way up.

A good 10 game run is a good start, but not enough to have earned his way up here. Not yet anyways. Who else should they call up to replace Flaherty? If looking for middle infielders, the cupboard is pretty bare.

sfosfan

Archived