We have to hit Jeter tomorrow if we get a good lead.

Gurgi

Who is advocating "real harm"? A retaliatory plunking is not considered a crime =====some of you would cry because we killed a lot of gypsy moths for cripe's sake.

When one poster said that "only a sick jerk would advocate purposely hurting another player", more than one poster responded saying "consider me a sick jerk then".

Here are some other choice quotes from this thread:

"We all would love nothing more than to see jeter, arod, or tbag hit a pop up to 3rd off their wrists, taking them out for the rest of the year."

"I really really really hope one of their key players (like Granderson, Cano, or Teixeira) tears an ACL while running the bases tomorrow"

"I hope all those elbow issues CC has been having recently culminate in a ligament tear that requires Tommy John. The sooner the better."

"If Teixeira tears an ACL tomorrow while running the bases I don't want any one of our guys going out there to help him out nor shed a tear for his sorry rear end."

And the point that needs to be made here is that this is nothing about 'the way the game is played', or anything like that. This is a frigging game of sports. In the grand scheme of things, it is completely insignificant in comparison to people's health and wellbeing. Wanting to seriously hurt another person because of it is absolutely sickening.

And rationalizing that it is right because others have done it before is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care what the Yankees would do tomorrow. I want my team to be men of integrity and play the game the right way without having to resort to injuring people on purpose.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gonna keep asking until someone answers. Does anyone really want them plunking another one of our players and running the risk of sending someone else to the DL?

Take your pick. Reynolds? Jones? Wieters? Who can we run the risk of sparing if we hit one of theirs tomorrow?

I agree. No plunking (just wish for one of their's to get hurt, Teixeira might be heading in that direction).

I say, we beat them tomorrow handidly and chant "not our rival" like Duke did to Maryland a few years ago.

I'm gonna keep asking until someone answers. Does anyone really want them plunking another one of our players and running the risk of sending someone else to the DL?

No but defend your turf maybe Buck knew why Gregg is still here???????

You think Sabathia intentionally hit Markakis on an 0-2 count. Okay, what is his thinking there. Just hit him for the heck of it? Doesn't like Markakis? Scare the other Oriole hitters into not getting too comfortable at the plate? I mean explain Sabathia's thinking there for intentionally hitting Markakis. I don't see it.

Exactly. Why put him on base in a tight game with the top of our order coming up after him?

Nope, it was definitely intentional. Let's not let good baseball reasoning get in the way of emotion. :rolleyes:

I guess some people are good at taking crap. Congrats. Your are wonderful at taking it.

Yes I was wonderful at taking crap, but you've shown me the light! Now I'm going to live by WWTYD! I'll take no more crap! I may end up in jail because I respond to people who inadvertently cause me harm by physically assaulting them, but there will be no more crap taking!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this. You're a paragon.

You think Sabathia intentionally hit Markakis on an 0-2 count. Okay, what is his thinking there. Just hit him for the heck of it? Doesn't like Markakis? Scare the other Oriole hitters into not getting too comfortable at the plate? I mean explain Sabathia's thinking there for intentionally hitting Markakis. I don't see it.

To make it look unintentional? Even if it wasn't intentional, the fact that he tried to get a strike call and didn't care about the well being of Markakis is enough to justify it.

No but defend your turf maybe Buck knew why Gregg is still here???????

Defend what turf? This isn't the Sharks and the Jets, dude. These are multi-millionaire athletes playing a sport with playoff implications on the line.

Again, who would you want to sacrifice tomorrow if they hit one of ours and send someone else to the DL? Who can we afford to lose? I bet they'd love to drill Reynolds. Jones? Wieters? Davis? JJ?

To make it look unintentional? Even if it wasn't intentional, the fact that he tried to get a strike call and didn't care about the well being of Markakis is enough to justify it.

He's competitive. You think he cares about Nick's well being? Would you care if Saunders hit Tex and wanted a strike called? Would care if Saunders inquired about Tex's well being? Of course not, it goes both ways.

Defend what turf? This isn't the Sharks and the Jets, dude. These are multi-millionaire athletes playing a sport with playoff implications on the line.

Again, who would you want to sacrifice tomorrow if they hit one of ours and send someone else to the DL? Who can we afford to lose? I bet they'd love to drill Reynolds. Jones? Wieters? Davis? JJ?

It's a waste of time MM. There's no logic here.

You are now backtracking on your multiple comments about wishing / intending bodily harm on people.

I'm not backtracking on anything.

The fact that you think not throwing pitches at someone in retaliation is indicative of NOT LIVING shows everything that anyone needs to know about you.

Throwing at someone's head is a ***** move. But you do have to retaliate.

This is baseball, not life.

Well when Nick Markakis comes home from his baseball and goes back to his life every day at 10:30 this week his thumb is still going to be broken.

These guys go home at night to their families and unless they are very screwed up in the head, they know what's really important (family, friends, community) in life.

Sometimes those things need to be defended.

It's not "defending your territory".

That is literally exactly what it is.

You are blowing this WAY out of proportion to its actual importance. Just like you're over the top comments about injuring people.

Throw an arm around your bully and say "hey bucko; friends, family, community, isn't that what's important here?" and let me know how that goes.

He's competitive. You think he cares about Nick's well being? Would you care if Saunders hit Tex and wanted a strike called? Would care if Saunders inquired about Tex's well being? Of course not, it goes both ways.

If I were pitching and I hit someone on accident my first thought wouldn't be to make sure I got a strike.

If the game is in hand, one way or another, rail them. Rail them hard, and multiple times. Maybe as part of the younger generation, I have less regard for being polite or sportsmanship, but I do firmly believe in backing up your players and that life is a two way street. You f with us, intentionally or not, it's comin back to you.

Close game, go for the win. Late innings and the game is a few runs apart, go for Any of their elbows/hands/knees/etc.

I'm almost 70---why are you trying to get credit for this mentality??/ The expected result is to drill a major cog in the fnnn ribs.

I think every true O’s fan would probably wish that it was their thumb and not Nick’s that got broken. That being said, his injury could have been far worse, cause let’s face it- although baseball isn’t generally a contact sport, each batter does take a risk with their lives when they step up to the plate!

Play the game the Oriole way, nothing less- to seek retaliation IS NOT the Oriole way! Win or loss, the O’s will have an even greater challenge ahead of them now, and I’m confident they’ll play as profession athletes; the way they’ve played all year. Anyone wishing that a Yankee gets hit by a pitch to satisfy some sort of revenge is wrong in their judgment.

LET’S GO O’s!!!!!!!

You think Sabathia intentionally hit Markakis on an 0-2 count. Okay, what is his thinking there. Just hit him for the heck of it? Doesn't like Markakis? Scare the other Oriole hitters into not getting too comfortable at the plate? I mean explain Sabathia's thinking there for intentionally hitting Markakis. I don't see it. Or do you want to take it a step further and claim that Sabathia's intention was to hurt Markakis and make him miss time?

I think he did it because he's a fat asshole

I guess it takes one to know one, Barnaby! Haw haw!
. Maybe he was pissed about losing the lead. The broken thumb was just a bonus. It's not like intentional HBP outside of retaliation are unknown in the sport.

I realize I have a flimsy argument because I'm making a lot of assumptions about whatever's in Sabathia's head. Fine by me. I realize **** happens sometimes but it just didn't seem like **** happens to me that time.

Archived