We have to hit Jeter tomorrow if we get a good lead.

Gurgi

The media has a vested interest in sensationalizing everything, so the embellishment of stories like you suggest seems very likely to me. The past is almost always romanticized to a lesser or greater degree, especially with our heroes and nemesis. Logical people recognize this and take many of those stories as apocryphal, even as we enjoy them through a certain willing suspension of disbelief.

But I'd be willing to bet several of my remaining dollars that Drysdale would be horrified to think that his legacy was being used by people as ammunition in support of an argument for intentionally injuring other team's players. I'm sure Roy could weigh in on this as unlike people throwing around Drysdale's name, Roy probably met the man and spoke with him on numerous occasions, and could tell us just how much of a dangerous menace to society he really was.

Never saw Drysdale pitch in a live game, but I recall him referred to as being in a special category that would throw at batters heads to intimidate them. Not sure how true that legend is or not. If he did do it, I'm not sure he'd have gone around bragging about it. IMO nobody really does that much anymore and throwing up near the head is frowned upon more than it was back in the late 60's early 70's from my recollection. Things were just different back then. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Clemens would hit guys to intimidate them but I don't recall him throwing at guys heads. I recall Clemens making remarks about guys needing advil if they crowd the plate on him. Seems mild and fair to me quite frankly. I'm not sure why guys like Jeter and Jose Bautista aren't hit more often quite frankly.

After reviewing the CC pitch to Nick yesterday, I don't think it was on purpose. That said, sometimes you have to send a message. Believe me, if the shoe were on the other foot, Girardi would be doing it to us. That doesn't mean injuring somebody but it might mean planting a ball in somebody's backside. Personally, I don't think it's needed in this situation, but I might be a little more aggressive than usual pitching inside today.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the press isn't talking about it because no one actually playing in last nights game actually thinks it was intentional and thus there's no real controversy?

I haven't seen Nick or Buck or anybody call out CC about the pitch which is what you'd expect, especially in the heat of a playoff race, if they thought it was anything but an accident.

In fact, here's what Adam Jones had to say about it: "It's part of the game," Jones said. "People have injuries late in the year. It's extremely unfortunate. It sucks, but it's sports. It's professional sports. It's how things happen sometimes".

I don't think anyone would ever accuse Adam Jones of being a shy, retiring wall flower. If he thought it was intentional I believe he would have had some harsh words for CC and the Yankess.

Exactly. There is no story here, let's move on.

The story that we should be talking about is the O's have a game against the Yankees today to take sole possession of first place on September 9th. This is potentially the most exciting game O's fans have had to look forward to in 15 years.

Never saw Drysdale pitch in a live game, but I recall him referred to as being in a special category that would throw at batters heads to intimidate them. Not sure how true that legend is or not. If he did do it, I'm not sure he'd have gone around bragging about it. IMO nobody really does that much anymore and throwing up near the head is frowned upon more than it was back in the late 60's early 70's from my recollection. Things were just different back then. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Clemens would hit guys to intimidate them but I don't recall him throwing at guys heads. I recall Clemens making remarks about guys needing advil if they crowd the plate on him. Seems mild and fair to me quite frankly. I'm not sure why guys like Jeter and Jose Bautista aren't hit more often quite frankly.

After reviewing the CC pitch to Nick yesterday, I don't think it was on purpose. That said, sometimes you have to send a message. Believe me, if the shoe were on the other foot, Girardi would be doing it to us. That doesn't mean injuring somebody but it might mean planting a ball in somebody's backside. Personally, I don't think it's needed in this situation, but I might be a little more aggressive than usual pitching inside today.

Sending a message doesn't equal throwing at every hitter on the opposing roster until you achieve one or more season ending injuries, which is what several of the knuckleheads in this thread were proposing. If the opposing team intentionally hits one of your guys on purpose, I'm fine with retaliation as long as its symmetrical. But the idea that CC, under the orders of Girardi was intentionally trying to hurt Nick last night it just a load of crap.

Drysdale pitched in the 60's. I don't remember him. I do think the old stories are greatly embellished. Just look at the guys currently on TV and listen to how macho they talk about pitching as recently as the 90's and 2000's. Heck, I watched Oriole baseball since the glory years and I don't remember Jim Palmer or McNally or Mussina INTIMIDATING hitters. Sure, they all pitched inside because that's what you have to do. Palmer is a HOF. I'm sure he'll tell you how he had to own the inside of the plate by coming inside but my memories of Palmer are of him never hitting anyone or knocking anyone down. I'm sure he did it's just that it must have been very seldom. All this talk about pitchers doing this and that and sounding so tough is mostly for entertainment purposes. Drysdale's generation thinks Seaver and Palmer's generation was soft. Seaver and Palmer's generation think today's generation is soft. And in 15 years, you'll hear Justin Verlander talking about how pitchers are afraid to pitch inside and don't do it enough.

Not really embellished at all. The beanball wars between the Dodgers and Giants in the 40's and 50's led Branch Rickey to ask his players to use plastic batting helmets while with the Dodgers and make their use mandatory while with the Pirates. I can remember numerous incidents in every year since.

2. I hope we do it anyway, in D bag Tex's calf muscle 100 mph and end his season.

I got chewed out on here last night for hoping he pulls his calf running the bases today. I wasn't even saying we should throw at him, just that should an injury occur, it couldn't happen to a more worthy individual.

Buck said it best..Most people don't care about your problems, and are happy you go em.

That said, I don't want any Yankees intentionally hurt. But if Arods hamstring tears due to years of steroids use, or Robinson Cano gets that smirk know knocked off his face by an unintentional brush back pitched that missed, I won't shed any tears. **** happens.

Agreed. And I'm certain that Guts never hit anyone with the goal of doing them lasting injury. He's pitching the game to win, sometimes that means throwing inside and accidents happen (just like what happened to Nick last nite). These guys are confusing pitching inside with using pitches as a threat of bodily harm in order to cause fear in the batter. Drysdale and Gibson (and Seaver and Palmer and hundreds of other guys) would throw message pitches from time to time to get guys off the plate.

But they weren't some kind of romanticized outlaw putting fear into opposing hitters through the threat of injury like this guy seems to be suggesting.

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." Source: Don Drysdale

The replay I saw on the postgame seemed to me more than simply asking whether the ball was foul. CC was demonstrating and gesturing with his hands in quite a display, which would be ok perhaps if Nick was not right there writhing in pain. I guess whether CC makes any effort after the game to express concern about Nick would ameliorate it some, if that occurs.

You may recall Jeter doing that on a pitch that hit the knob of the bat, not him, and got a free base that way. It sounded like ball on wood.

You may recall Jeter doing that on a pitch that hit the knob of the bat, not him, and got a free base that way. It sounded like ball on wood.

Yes, unfortunately bones breaking can sound that way sometimes. I am OK with however Buck handles it, because he would have a lot more info about Sabathia's reaction than any of us. I pray for Nick's quick healing, that the Os beat the Yanks, that whoever fills in for Nick plays out of their mind and I will support Buck's judgement in all things Oriole. I wish all the Yankee hitters good health and many 0 for 16 slumps the rest of the way.

Archived