What a Clutch, Veteran play by Machado

Jagwar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great call by Gary Thorne on this play, by they way. http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24727839&topic_id=11493214&c_id=bal

"Slow ground ball -- Manny Machado, barehanded -- don't throw it away -- DON'T THROW IT AT ALL! What a great play to Hardy! And Wieters will put the tag on him! 20 years old and knew exactly what to do -- a shortstop converted to a third baseman at the major league level makes the biggest defensive play of his career and keeps this ballgame tied at 2-2!"

And Joe Angel, also on the video clip:

"What a phenomenal play by Manny Machado! An UNBELIEVABLE play by Manny Machado. Fred, that is a veteran play by a raw rookie! Unbelievable play by Manny Machado."

Yes, there have been a few times when the shaving cream pie bit has worried me. I think of a corneal eye abrasion and being out for a week. It is like how guys used to jump up in the air and land on home plate for years on walk offs until the guy fractured his ankle doing it and now you never see that anymore. I would not be surprised that at some point, somebody is going to get this type of injury with the pie in the face bit and I think it needs to stop before it happens.

I see these "shaving cream pie" worry posts from time to time. Has anyone ever been injured by this? Ever?

I see these "shaving cream pie" worry posts from time to time. Has anyone ever been injured by this? Ever?

Not that I've heard, but until it does happen...

Plus, you could tell that hurt Machado, and he even quipped "it doesn't get any better." And he meant how it feels to get that stuff in your eyes.

Not that I've heard, but until it does happen...

Plus, you could tell that hurt Machado, and he even quipped "it doesn't get any better." And he meant how it feels to get that stuff in your eyes.

Players need to start wearing goggles to their post-game on-field interviews. ;)

Exactly. Heads up play by Hardy and Machado but obviously Machado had the play in mind or he never would have turned and looked to 3rd so quickly. Unless he has eyes in the back of his head, he was only assuming that Hardy would/might be there. Also, if he had no intent on getting the runner at 3rd there would have been no reason for the fake throw. He just would have held onto the ball without the fake. Come on Roy!

Machado was asked about it in his on-field interview and he made it pretty clear that he faked the throw and whirled on purpose. I think GoldGlov21 had it right:

That play was Machado's instincts meeting Hardy's baseball IQ.

]Players need to start wearing goggles to their post-game on-field interviews. ;)[/b]

With Gregg now off the team there is likely a few pair left behind in the clubhouse !!:laughlol:

Great play by Manny and Hardy. Not overhyped, just truly enjoyed. (Not directed towards your Frobby)

Exactly. Heads up play by Hardy and Machado but obviously Machado had the play in mind or he never would have turned and looked to 3rd so quickly. Unless he has eyes in the back of his head, he was only assuming that Hardy would/might be there. Also, if he had no intent on getting the runner at 3rd there would have been no reason for the fake throw. He just would have held onto the ball without the fake. Come on Roy!

Hardy has to back up MM on the slow roller and cover third there. That part should be pretty standard. Not to take away from Machado's play, but as a ss himself he pretty much knows that Hardy is supposed to be at third base.

I think this is a bit overhyped. He faked a throw and fooled the guy. I don't think it's that amazing.

Of course it's amazing! We're Oriole fans who just witnessed a game-saving play by a future star. Live a little! Enjoy the moment!

Players need to start wearing goggles to their post-game on-field interviews. ;)

I've just turned in my resignation at work so I can go start a company that produces cornea-friendly shaving cream substitute.

Great call by Gary Thorne on this play, by they way. http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24727839&topic_id=11493214&c_id=bal

"Slow ground ball -- Manny Machado, barehanded -- don't throw it away -- DON'T THROW IT AT ALL! What a great play to Hardy! And Wieters will put the tag on him! 20 years old and knew exactly what to do -- a shortstop converted to a third baseman at the major league level makes the biggest defensive play of his career and keeps this ballgame tied at 2-2!"

And Joe Angel, also on the video clip:

"What a phenomenal play by Manny Machado! An UNBELIEVABLE play by Manny Machado. Fred, that is a veteran play by a raw rookie! Unbelievable play by Manny Machado."

I was watching on ESPN, but my thoughts were the same as Thorne's. A week or two ago, Manny probably would have made the throw, and as he cocked his arm last night I could him unleashing a heave into RF (as he did against the Yankees). It's not just his instincts, which are impressive. He's on an unbelievable trajectory in learning how to pay 3B, and it seems to climb every game. For me there was amazement that he and Hardy had made such a great play combined with relief that Manny had learned not to make the wrong play.

Archived