What a Clutch, Veteran play by Machado

Jagwar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thrilled they got the out but it looked to me like he didn't fake the throw as much as decided to eat the ball mid throw because he wasn't going to get the runner (which was the right thing to do there). Then when he checked the runner JJ was already in place. In my mind the list of impressive thing in descending order on that play were:

1) Hardy actually covering third.

2) Manny deciding to eat the ball instead of trying to get the batter at 1st.

3) The actual toss and out at 3rd.

I was thrilled they got the out but it looked to me like he didn't fake the throw as much as decided to eat the ball mid throw because he wasn't going to get the runner (which was the right thing to do there). Then when he checked the runner JJ was already in place. In my mind the list of impressive thing in descending order on that play were:

1) Hardy actually covering third.

2) Manny deciding to eat the ball instead of trying to get the batter at 1st.

3) The actual toss and out at 3rd.

Replay from the other angle made it clear that he faked the throw. He didn't just pocket it.

I'm pretty sure that if Reynolds or Betemit were playing 3B on that play

1. They probably don't even get to the ball that quickly

2. But if they did, they try to make the spectacular throw, and the ball ends up down the RF line giving the lead to the Rays.

It was an early game in 1996 and Robbie Alomar was having a great start to the season. A ball was hit into right field with a runner on and he got the relay throw and threw behind the runner at third base who had rounded the bag to think about going home to get the out. That was the first play I thought of when I saw that.

The great ones have the instincts. Here is a guy who basically never played third until he got here and look at what he has done.

Archived