Seattle P-I Speculates: Jones-Morrow-Clement?

Scribo

I'd prefer to trade Hernandez, and keep Clement.

How do you resolve the Weiters/Clement situation? Platoon? Eventual trade? Position switch?

I'd love to have them share the position and DH when the other one is catching. How big of a competitive advantage would it be to have a possible star-level catcher in the lineup 162 days a year? How much wear and tear would it save on both of them? Almost every other team in baseball punts a lineup spot in 40, 50, or more games a year with a Bako-type as their #2.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd prefer to trade Hernandez, and keep Clement.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but I think I would like to have both. Though admittedly I don't know too much about Clement other than he is well regarded. Is there somewhere else he can play?

I wouldn't mind hanging onto Ramon because I think he could still bounce back from last year and has experience catching our very young and relatively inexperienced staff. I also say this because I don't think there's really a market for Ramon.

The M's will not include both Morrow and Clement in a deal. They won't include both outfielders either. We're waiting on them to add a 4th piece

Jones

Morrow/Clement

Sherrill

?????

No trade is close as of this morning.

We don't need Morrow or Balentien. Clement is good enough. If they add Tillman or Butler, I'd pull the trigger. If we would take Sexson back maybe we could convince them to spice up that package a little more...

How do you resolve the Weiters/Clement situation? Platoon? Eventual trade? Position switch?

I'd love to have them share the position and DH when the other one is catching. How big of a competitive advantage would it be to have a possible star-level catcher in the lineup 162 days a year? How much wear and tear would it save on both of them? Almost every other team in baseball punts a lineup spot in 40, 50, or more games a year with a Bako-type as their #2.

The only problem with this is that the Orioles would probably then elect to carry a third catcher and leave themselves with no bench.

The M's will not include both Morrow and Clement in a deal. They won't include both outfielders either. We're waiting on them to add a 4th piece

Jones

Morrow/Clement

Sherrill

?????

How about Truinfel as player #4?:002_sbiggrin:

What I'd do is play Clement this year. If he produces in the majors, then his value has skyrocketed and you can trade him. Or you could trade Wieters. Either way would work.

Jones

Morrow/Clement

Sherrill

?????

Do you feel optimistic at all? Hearing the names being offered (i.e., Jones, Morrow/Clement, etc.) certainly brings a smile to my face.

I agree I like the idea of keeping both of them, but if I trade one it's Hernandez. I'd hold onto Clement until Wieters is ready.

Remember when we considered signing Javy and Pudge? Remember when we signed Hernandez and already had Javy? They've considered the idea of two strong catchers before, however they have never got two strong catchers.

The only problem with this is that the Orioles would probably then elect to carry a third catcher and leave themselves with no bench.

That's what I fear. Although I hope that the paralyzing fear of losing the DH for an at bat or two a couple times a month was a Perlozzo thing, and not a permanent feature of the organization.

Archived