I consider Jones to be the goat of this game

Frobby

Not that anyone may want it, but here's my 2 cents on the Jeter "triple" that AJ misplayed.

Do I think AJ took a bad route to the ball? Absolutely. Do I think AJ was "gliding" to catch the ball? No way.

Go back and look at the replay. That ball was in on Jeter's hands and was fisted to the outfield. Coming off the bat, I thought for sure Hardy/Flaherty make that play with AJ coming in on the ball as backup.

I never thought that ball would carry that far into the outfield. I think the "gliding" that AJ did is a result of the ball just carrying, carrying, carrying in that wind.

One more thing -- I certainly hope the O's locker room is not casting blame like the Hangout is doing right now. Lots of "blame" to go around for last night's game. Brush it off, and let's go get those MFYs tonight!!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame Jones I blame his damn superman cape. When he leaves it in his locker he's a great player. When he wears it in a game he's constanly tripping over it. Surprised Buck hasn't burned it yet. As to the hitting, it's not the lack of results that bugs me. It's hard to get a hit against playoff level pitching. It's the collectively poor AB.The MFY didn't hit any better vs MiggiII, but they made him throw more pitches. We gave Karoda a 5 P inning when he was on the verge of coming out. Imagine how much better our offense would be with a healthy Nick and BRob.

Baseball is a game of streaks. Those streaks occur whether it's a playoff game or a world series game or the regular season. I think too many guys on this board are taking a football mentality to baseball. I don't believe a bad streak in a baseball playoff series has any great meaning. I don't believe that we should glean something negative about Jones or Weiters because they have gone cold in the playoffs. Great teams find a way to win playoff games when there best players are cold. Unfortunately for us, all of our best players are cold at the same time. This isn't a new phenomenon for the O's, it happened after the first Markakis injury when we got down to 3 games over .500.

What I learn from this is that our offense needs another stud. I believe Jones and Weiters and Davis and Reynolds are nice offensive players. They have real value but they aren't great offensive players. To get over the hump, I think we need another great offensive player.

As for Jone's defensive play, he made a bad read and compounded it by misjudging the ball's depth a second time. I think it was a difficult play that should have been made. I don't believe his gliding to the ball was an attempt to be cool. I believe his gliding to the ball was a misjudgment of the depth. It's a physical mistake and physical mistakes happen.

Finally, the bubble sends the wrong message and I think it's about time he outgrows it.

IF they have another bad streak of seasons, it will have absolutely ZERO to do with Raul Ibanez.

I mean, there's being down after a loss, and then there is a post like this one. Suddenly because of two swings of a bat - in a game that didn't even end a series!!! - we are out of the playoffs until 2027. WTF.

Look, maybe I'll be objective about this in a few days (or if we win this series). But honestly, how can anyone have any kind of confidence for tonight? The Devil just played a fiddling contest against Johnny and this time actually won his soul.

Not that anyone may want it, but here's my 2 cents on the Jeter "triple" that AJ misplayed.

Do I think AJ took a bad route to the ball? Absolutely. Do I think AJ was "gliding" to catch the ball? No way.

Go back and look at the replay. That ball was in on Jeter's hands and was fisted to the outfield. Coming off the bat, I thought for sure Hardy/Flaherty make that play with AJ coming in on the ball as backup.

I never thought that ball would carry that far into the outfield. I think the "gliding" that AJ did is a result of the ball just carrying, carrying, carrying in that wind.

One more thing -- I certainly hope the O's locker room is not casting blame like the Hangout is doing right now. Lots of "blame" to go around for last night's game. Brush it off, and let's go get those MFYs tonight!!

That's exactly how I read it, too. And every replay I see I read it the same. That ball, off the bat, looked like a routine fly. Now, the only thing I blame Adam for is playing that park too shallow. With the wind last night, feel he should have been deeper, and play in on things instead of running back. But at the same time, the more he kept running, the more I was like "no way." Because I can't believe that ball carried that far, at all.

If someone could make Adam Jones play the "outfield" instead of the "infield" maybe we would have won wednesday's game. Another ball over his head.

Are you talking what a normal person would call the infield or what umpire Sam Holbrook would call the infield? If you share Holbrook's interpretation, then I guess Jones was pretty deep :rolleyes:

Archived