Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

The box score may read like Matt got pounded, however, the feedback that I have received does not indicate that he got pounded. Here is the line that I received...Three broken bat squib base hits...2 infield hits on slow rollers...One legit base hit and one walk... This indicates that Matt took the same approach that he was succesful with during his last outting against the same team. Pound the lower inner half of the zone... This time they were able to fight some of the pitches off and get a lucky bounce or two... There was no indication that the opposing team was getting any real good wood on the ball...

I heard that Matt's velocity remained about the same as his previous two outtings. Matt was hitting his spots and his change up and slider were both effective...

As long as his velocity remained the same and he was locating his pitches well, I am not too worried about an odd inning here and there... I seriously doubt that the organization see his performance as a negative...If anything, it is probably more a positive...

Which is exactly why people should never get too happy or sad over one outing when just looking at numbers. Stats only tell us a portion of what we need to know.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Rodriguez ahead of Delmonico?

I had EdRod ahead of Delmonico before the season started too. A few reasons to still have him there:

1. Health. Delmonico seems to be having a lot of injury issues.

2. Position: If Delmonico can't stick at 3B, he loses a lot of value.

3. Some people prefer a mid 90's throwing LHP (who is 20 and at A+) over a potential power hitting 1B.

I had EdRod ahead of Delmonico before the season started too. A few reasons to still have him there:

3. Some people prefer a mid 90's throwing LHP (who is 20 and at A+) over a potential power hitting 1B.

It's a close call, but Delmonico's health issues concern me.

This is all reasonable.

I don't think Hobgood belongs too near the top 10, at this point, though. I'd probably put Zach Davies in the 10th spot (same age and level as Rodriguez, but fewer Ks). Also, Tim Berry is making a case for himself, and Devin Jones is pitching OK at a higher level than he belongs. Also, upside guys like Marin, Davis, Bernadina, even Ohlman, have cases to be made to be above Hobgood.

Also, it's too early in the season for this. :P

Tony is right, you need to get a look in person. The velocity reports are incredibly encouraging, which is to say that it seemed as though all hope had been lost for him before this season, but we need some scouting reports on the movement of his pitches, location, control/command, etc.

The results seem to suggest the movement is good in a small sample. I'm really encouraged and want to catch him in person myself sometime soon.

Seems like his results started going downhill at the exact time that he had the sudden jump in velocity.

Isn't it pretty common for guys to sort of run out of gas pretty early during the first year back from shoulder surgery? I think it is. I think we need to see more, but have tempered expectations for the rest of this year. If he stays healthy the rest of the season next season is the big test for him IMO. At least he has shown flashes that show he has First round talent. This is something even those that hated the pick have to finally admit. He might have been picked early but he was clearly a first round pick even if the O's passed on him.

Isn't it pretty common for guys to sort of run out of gas pretty early during the first year back from shoulder surgery? I think it is. I think we need to see more, but have tempered expectations for the rest of this year. If he stays healthy the rest of the season next season is the big test for him IMO. At least he has shown flashes that show he has First round talent. This is something even those that hated the pick have to finally admit. He might have been picked early but he was clearly a first round pick even if the O's passed on him.

Will be disappointing if he runs out of gas after 30 odd innings.

Sometimes I think Esposito is an even worse pick. At least Hobgood has an excuse: injury. And at least he's showing flashes of something.

Jason just flat out sucks. Straight up.

Amen to that.

I'm very encouraged with Hobgood. He's getting ground balls, and reports are that there have been quite a few bloops. He just needs to get his innings in. I think we start judging the results more next year, when he's hopefully starting in Frederick.

Following Matt on Twitter over the past year has me feeling very good about what the Orioles have. That draft was weak overall, and it's not his fault where he was drafted. It's not like we missed on Buster Posey by picking him. He's clearly working hard, and he seems to be a first class young man. There are no tantrums and he's not 'Big-Leaguing' as far as it seems. He's easy to root for.

I would love to see Hobby do well. Would be a great redemption story. But holy crow - what a terrible pick, it's looking like. Not that about 90% of the board didn't disapprove when it went down.

Still, I pull for the kid. Obviously.

With friends like you...

Archived