Duquette on Sirius XM Today

Os84

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I think the real story is some of the demands coming from these players are absolutely outrageous."

"We believe it is time to get this spiraling payroll situation under control. We believe that to keep the game within the reach of the average baseball fan, payroll stabilization needs to occur."

So, the FO views the current payroll as a "spiraling" situation? That's both alarming and unreal.

The Blue Jays have signed Maicer Izturis and Melky Cabrera. Not exactly big names.

Sure ...But they made a monster trade that seriously tipped the scales. The guys you mentioned are complementary moves. The Orioles have picked up a AAAA outfielder and a AAAA infielder. The Blue Jays were decimated by injuries last season. The Blue Jays are trying to improve their team by making moves...So far the Orioles are dumpster diving.

Quote?

I've provided quotes on Angelos not backing big free agent signings.

Angelos not willing to back big FA signings, is the point.

“I'd find it difficult to justify a $20 million salary per year for anybody. The economics of the game don't support that type of salary for any player.”

Yet, teams like the Rockies, Reds, and Cardinals remain to stay afloat, and carry players making 20+ mil a year. The economics of baseball will support that. It's Angelos that won't.

Can you please link to articles where you take quotes from?

I don't have the articles. Just the quotes. The first one was when Tejada criticized BJ Ryan not being resigned. The second was during the negotiation for a CBA. I'll remove them if you think they are wrong, or could be misconstrued.

He hasn't mentioned money. But, he has made comments that could lead fans to believe otherwise. Comments like "This year it will literally happen" and "We'll be back next year".

I think the first quote was nine years ago. And the second, I assume was in NY this year?

He hasn't mentioned money. But, he has made comments that could lead fans to believe otherwise. Comments like "This year it will literally happen" and "We'll be back next year".

I didn't take the quote "We'll be back next year" as saying we are going to pay Josh Hamilton big money. Those who want Josh Hamilton took that quote that way.

Angelos not willing to back big FA signings, is the point.

Yet, teams like the Rockies, Reds, and Cardinals remain to stay afloat, and carry players making 20+ mil a year. The economics of baseball will support that. It's Angelos that won't.

The Cardinals had noone on their roster this year that was making 20mil. They don't next year either. Same with the Reds.

Duquette said that the payroll would increase with the attendance. The fans did their part.

I never heard that. I heard that they would be able to increase the budget with better attendance. I assume that means the 20 million that they will increase the payroll this year. Maybe not.

I don't have the articles. Just the quotes. The first one was when Tejada criticized BJ Ryan not being resigned. The second was during the negotiation for a CBA. I'll remove them if you think they are wrong, or could be misconstrued.

Where do you pull random quotes from? A notebook?

I don't think they are wrong, it would just be nice to have context with them.

Where do you pull random quotes from? A notebook?

I don't think they are wrong, it would just be nice to have context with them.

http://www.successories.com/iquote/author/21660/peter-angelos-quotes/1

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/peter_angelos/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LlQcKmFxRrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.famousquotes.com/author/peter-angelos/

Quote?

I've provided quotes on Angelos not backing big free agent signings.

Yes, general manager Dan Duquette said.

“I was just trying to stay within our budget,” Duquette said. “The budget is based on the revenue generated by the team

Revenue's are up across the boards. What's the excuse now?

There are a lot better places that money can go then to Josh Hamilton. No matter how bad you and some others don't want to believe that.
Show me one time where I lobbied for Hamilton. I'll let you spin your wheels looking.
Quote?
"But I think it will probably be flat this year to the extent that we build the team, make it interesting and exciting and more people will come out. Then we'll have more resources to invest in the team.
Source - Nov. 19, 2011

Archived