Duquette on Sirius XM Today

Os84

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't take the quote "We'll be back next year" as saying we are going to pay Josh Hamilton big money. Those who want Josh Hamilton took that quote that way.

The Cardinals had noone on their roster this year that was making 20mil. They don't next year either. Same with the Reds.

My mistake. Holliday still signed a 120 mil dollar deal, and Votto will make 20-25 mil per year the last 8 years of his contract. The point is, the Orioles can make ONE big splash, and manage to survive.

Revenue's are up across the boards. What's the excuse now?

Our payroll is going to go up by at least 20M this year. You want us to spend every cent of the extra revenue we made on free agents?

Again, I'd rather that money go to scouting, and other parts of our organization. I'd rather find another Miguel Gonzalez.

My mistake. Holliday still signed a 120 mil dollar deal, and Votto will make 20-25 mil per year the last 8 years of his contract. The point is, the Orioles can make ONE big splash, and manage to survive.

I think they'd be able to survive also. I can just think of better places of putting 20M a year then Hamilton. I lobbied HARD for Prince Fielder. I am not con big time free agent. I am con spend a ton of money on top free agent just because we have it.

I think the first quote was nine years ago. And the second, I assume was in NY this year?

That's the point Weams. It's been the same spin for a decade. It get's old. I know we all here want the same thing. Our opinions on how to get there differ. But, if PA isn't soley commited to winning, we're all going to be disappointed. I want a WS team. I don't care if we do it with a 50 mil payroll or a 150 mil payroll.

That's the point Weams. It's been the same spin for a decade. It get's old. I know we all here want the same thing. Our opinions on how to get there differ. But, if PA isn't soley commited to winning, we're all going to be disappointed. I want a WS team. I don't care if we do it with a 50 mil payroll or a 150 mil payroll.

Me too. I was the guy who said he would gladly go through 14 years of losing again if the Orioles could win a WS.

Our payroll is going to go up by at least 20M this year. You want us to spend every cent of the extra revenue we made on free agents?

Again, I'd rather that money go to scouting, and other parts of our organization. I'd rather find another Miguel Gonzalez.

It doesn't add up. Our payroll will increase 20 mil. Yet MLB will be paying every team 25 mil, the revenues from the playoffs and added attendence is around 10 mil. That doesn't even include the atleast 29 mil that MASN paid the O's. Thats over 50 mil dollars. Where's the other 30* mil going?

Wieters due for an extension. Hammel a possible extension candidate. Jim Johnson a possible extension candidate. Mark Reynolds possibly getting a 2-3 year deal. If not him then someone else. Darren O'Day an extension candidate after next year. Continue to get better, spend more, and have a larger scouting department. Both college and international. There are a lot better places that money can go then to Josh Hamilton. No matter how bad you and some others don't want to believe that.

You have mentioned Willingham alot. You have a strong feeling he is a strong option?

DD keeps saying he believes the O's need a MOO bat. He also says they are not going for expensive FAs = no Hamilton. Butler and Willingham have been widely mentioned as targets for DD. The O's have young pitching as their biggest trading chip. Guys with 5.00+ ERAs like Arrieta, Britton, Matusz are not going to bring back Butler IMO. The Twins highest priority is to get three starters this off season. Willingham is widely mentioned as available.

Add it all up and a Twins/O's trade could happen. I didn't say I like it. I just said it may happen.

I like keeping Reynolds, the young pitchers, signing McLouth and Saunders. Then Lets play ball.

It doesn't add up. Our payroll will increase 20 mil. Yet MLB will be paying every team 25 mil, the revenues from the playoffs and added attendence is around 10 mil. That doesn't even include the atleast 29 mil that MASN paid the O's. Thats over 50 mil dollars. Where's the other 30* mil going?

MLB TV $25M doesn't start until 2014.

True. But, contracts can be set up to make the numbers work. The revenue is guaranteed.

The revenue is for every team. Why do you have in stuck in your head that we are the only one that has the extra money to poney up the extra money. If us and 3 other teams are going after Hamilton, it's not like we have 25M in extra money that the other teams aren't getting to outbid those teams. It's common math.

We get 25M. They get 25M. Our benefit in free agency = 0

The revenue is for every team. Why do you have in stuck in your head that we are the only one that has the extra money to poney up the extra money. If us and 3 other teams are going after Hamilton, it's not like we have 25M in extra money that the other teams aren't getting to outbid those teams. It's common math.

The benefit is to the players, who will receive the extra monies in contracts. I would assume that arbitration awards will go up because of it.

That simply isn't true. Teams have shown an aversion to going past the salary threshold. An additional 25 million will give the O's an advantage against any team that is within 24 million of the threshold.

Why do you keep bringing up Hamilton? Where did I say spend it all on Hamilton? Swisher and Upton could be had for far less then Hamilton. Where are bringing back guys like McLouth, Saunders, and Reynolds going to eat up 25 mil? And we also had something that every team did NOT have, 10 mil in playoff revenue, and huge revenues from a RSN.

Are you saying, that because the other teams get 25M also, the O's need to just stand pat?

The estimated payroll if the O's don't bring back Reynolds is roughly 83M. And that includes the ARB estimates. The O's should easily be able to carry a 110M payroll. Believe it or not.

Archived