Duquette on Sirius XM Today

Os84

Thanks for the recap Paul. Can you elaborate a little on the call he made to Angelos about bringing up another pitcher after the 18 inning game. Did it sound like he had to get permission to bring up a pitcher? I sure hope not.

Im sure he had to get approval for that bump in pay going from the minors to the majors.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then we have Britton and Steve Johnson "who other teams like"

That is good news. Of all the names mentioned, those two are my first choices as trade bait. I like Steve Johnson, but I dont think his stuff is good enough to sustain success. Sell high on him. And Britton, his shoulder issues is a concern. If a team is willing to take them for a solid bat or a veteran SP, I say go for it.

Is the opposite side of that sweeping description the "I love penny-pinching so Angelos can get richer" crowd?

I mean to just group us all in the "spend the money" crowd because we don't celebrate solely dumpster diving would create an equally polarizing opposite reaction.

I like DD quite a bit but I think if he's saying he wants to only look for bargains it's because of constraints his "impoverished" owner has bestowed on him.

Yes, but you are in the "use your brain crowd" too. As you know, I can be convinced to come over to your side in an argument. Not everyone has that ability.

That is good news. Of all the names mentioned, those two are my first choices as trade bait. I like Steve Johnson, but I dont think his stuff is good enough to sustain success. Sell high on him. And Britton, his shoulder issue is a concern. If a team is willing to take them for a solid bat or a veteran SP, I say go for it.

I have limited belief in the long term therapeutic effects of the "Blood Spinning" voodoo. Unless it is done in Europe. Or maybe Canada.

Cant rule out Hamilton and Grienke until after Christmas. Season ticket plans make nice stocking stuffers. The hint of Hamilton and/or Grienke is just to string the fans along. I give in, and have accepted it. I just wonder how many of tjose wanting the O's to save money, will be caling for DD job, when the O's are back in 5th place and back to the out of it by july norm? Im sure most will use it as bait to start calling for the trades of Wieters, Hardy, Markakis, and Hammel. That wat Angelos can pocket even more money.

Reach much? So if we don't sign Greinke or Hamilton we will all of the sudden be last in the league by July and calling for DD head? Come on man, the team can upgrade, and will, in other ways!

1) Duquette doesn't understand how Gomes can go from 1mm last year to 5mm in Boston as a part time DH. "Those kind of economics don't work in Baltimore"

2) We will be active in the free agent market

3) Likes Casilla. Switch hitter, good arm, speed, good defender

4) on Trayvon - switch hitter, real good speed, power potential

5) on Reynolds, we turned down an 11mm option on him. We could bring him back, but if not, we have in house options

6) We have told clubs we are looking for a 1b, LF, or DH, and one that would preferably be a MOO bat

7) Really wants to see what Urrutia can do

8) When pressed on Greinke and Hamilton, he said that he wouldn't count us out of it, but the value for us is in the draft. Again reiterated that the economics in Baltimore don't work for us as big time spenders in FA

9) When asked about our rotation he seemed to say that our first four guys are Tillman, Chen, Hamel and Gonzalez.

10) Then we have Britton, and Steve Johnson "who other teams like"

11) We are going to look for more pitching because you can never have enough

12) on Gonzalez, outstanding control and two plus pitches. Pitched great again the Yankees in the playoffs

13) Tillman won 17 games last year between the minors and majors. Pitched like a TOR last year for us, said Duq

14) McLouth - real good last couple months for us and we want him back. Buck likes him. He would be a good compliment to Reimold

15) What it is like working for Angelos - Peter wants nothing more than to give the fans a good team to root for. He was engaged with the team. The 18 game affair in Seattle had over 60k viewers at 4am when the game went over. Said he talked to Angelo's the next day to tell him he wanted to bring a pitcher up and Angelo's said he should have called him after the game was over as he stayed up to watch it himself. He was loving the fact of being in NY for the playoff games

16) Buck and Peter are old pros

17) When asked about Marlins trade, it's a real interesting trade. Backloaded a lot of contracts and it didn't work and they dismantled it. BJ's paid a fair price in the young players they gave up. They spent a lot of money, but they have put people on notice that they want to win. Duq thinks that the way they Marlins work is a viable way of winning in today's game

18). We know who we are in Baltimore and we know what we can support (financially)

19) Chris Davis had a breakout year. Apparently he is up for a Gibby (Gibbie) award for breakout hitter

20) Machado is up for a Gibby award for play of the year against TB (the spin play where he caught the guy off of 3rd)

21) We are not going to spend 175 mm to get into contention

22) We will get some more "Casilla and Robinson" type players in the coming weeks

23) Bundy came along in his development of his change-up last year. Doesn't know where he will start this year

24) Gausman has an excellent sinker, top notch change up and advanced control. Both (Bundy) have a chance to help our team next year

25) Viewership was up over 50% on our network (MASN)

Ok we don't have to have a 175 payroll but it would nice to have more than 80. But if we take the"stand pat" routine, after making the playoffs and continue to bargain hunt, I will be disappointed You can spend money without giving out bad contracts. .

Reach much? So if we don't sign Greinke or Hamilton we will all of the sudden be last in the league by July and calling for DD head? Come on man, the team can upgrade, and will, in other ways!

Never said that. But the names being thrown around sure wont improve this team either. When I say last place, you do know its possible to win 82 games, and still finish last in the AL East? Im not saying this will be a 100 loss team, but the Yankees are still the Yankees, the Rays' pitching will krep them in it. The BJ's will be better. And no way does Boston settle for a repeat of last year. Minir moves like Robinson and Casilla gives good depth. But, it's not over the top moves. I like the moves DD has done. But, if he isnt alotted the recources needed to compete, he has his hands tied. He has to hope every buy low guy has rebound or career years. Its like buying scratch off tickets, and every one is a winner. The odds arent there. Just like the odds of repeating last year arent probable. Thats just my view on it.

Never said that. But the names being thrown around sure wont improve this team either. When I say last place, you do know its possible to win 82 games, and still finish last in the AL East? Im not saying this will be a 100 loss team, but the Yankees are still the Yankees, the Rays' pitching will krep them in it. The BJ's will be better. And no way does Boston settle for a repeat of last year. Minir moves like Robinson and Casilla gives good depth. But, it's not over the top moves. I like the moves DD has done. But, if he isnt alotted the recources needed to compete, he has his hands tied. He has to hope every buy low guy has rebound or career years. Its like buying scratch off tickets, and every one is a winner. The odds arent there. Just like the odds of repeating last year arent probable. Thats just my view on it.

So the Gomes contract was a good one? The BJ trade could really blow up in there face! Why don't we wait until the winter meetings are over before we start saying we are 11 games worse than last year!

If you were a fan of the Red Sox would you be encouraged by any of the moves they have made thus far?

No. But the fact they made a big push to trade for Reyes and Johnson, shows they are willing to trade prospects and/or take on payroll. The O's have shown a reluctance to do either.

So the Gomes contract was a good one? The BJ trade could really blow up in there face! Why don't we wait until the winter meetings are over before we start saying we are 11 games worse than last year!

No I dont think the Gomes contract was good. However, if we are to believe DD we shouldnt expect big moves? So, if McLouth is the guy they want in LF (seems to be) then whats holding it up? Are they negotiating a 200k difference in aski.g price? McLouth probaly could have been had for a 2/6 deal. Now, the price is higher because of Gomes. Dragging their feet on a minor move like McLouth, has probably pushed him out of their price range. Sure the winters not over, but nothing has given me a reason to believe this will be anything more then another winter of shopping at Ollies.

If the Orioles dont upgrade they will certainly regress. There's no way the Orioles will do as well in the tight games. It took a incredible perfect storm for the Orioles to get that old record this year. Dumpster diving will almost assure a return to the .500 or less club. The Blue Jays are much better and its hard to say what the Red Sox will do at this point...But it sounds like they are committed to spending some money. The Yankees will still be around the top and so will the Rays.

Archived