O's are raking it in

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snark.

But it's true. The Orioles are broke right? Angelos has no money.

We can't compete.

Love the apologists.

MSK

You know I don't rip on you MSK so you know this is an honest question.

When was the last time you saw someone on this board saying that the O's could not exceed say 100 million in payroll without losing money?

Now as you go higher then 100 million I would expect you to start losing folks at around 125 million, then some more at 140 million.

When was the last time you saw someone on this board saying that the O's could not exceed say 100 million in payroll without losing money?

Now as you go higher then 100 million I would expect you to start losing folks at around 125 million, then some more at 140 million.

It's not about people saying that the Orioles can't spend the money, it's the idea that there are people that believe we shouldn't as if any large expenditure will permanently bankrupt the team. The fact that so many other teams have improved while we still haven't made a major IMPROVEMENT move for the major league roster is very bad for our success in 2013.

I've seen a million arguments over the years on the OH about why we can't and/or shouldn't spend more. It gets hilarious.

I know for a fact - before the article - that the increased merchandizing has led to increased profits for the Orioles. We also have MASN loot that disappears.

Oh well.

MSK

I don't mind his point of view. I mind his method of viewing.

I know for a fact - before the article - that the increased merchandizing has led to increased profits for the Orioles.

MSK

Did you miss the part where it was explained that all merchandise profits are split equally among all teams? Or did you choose to ignore that.

Did you miss the part where it was explained that all merchandise profits are split equally among all teams? Or did you choose to ignore that.
Yes, but if the Orioles make more, it leads to more revenue in the overall pot. Which leads to more money evenly split. Not counting MASN of course.

MSK

He is right. If 3 million in profits is earned on O's merchandise, that would not have otherwise been spent on MLB products, then the O's would indeed get an additional 100K.

He is right. If 3 million in profits is earned on O's merchandise, that would not have otherwise been spent on MLB products, then the O's would indeed get an additional 100K.
You'd also have to assume total profits from the other 29 teams didn't go down. For example, I'd bet sales of pink Red Sox hats went way down. ;)

It's not about people saying that the Orioles can't spend the money, it's the idea that there are people that believe we shouldn't as if any large expenditure will permanently bankrupt the team. The fact that so many other teams have improved while we still haven't made a major IMPROVEMENT move for the major league roster is very bad for our success in 2013.

I've seen a million arguments over the years on the OH about why we can't and/or shouldn't spend more. It gets hilarious.

I know for a fact - before the article - that the increased merchandizing has led to increased profits for the Orioles. We also have MASN loot that disappears.

Oh well.

MSK

You don't think the Roberts contract has restricted the moves that AM and DD can make?

Didn't Dan spend that on a rule 5 pick and a waiver claim?

Either that, or about 21 percent of one of our players that was getting the major league minimum salary ($480,000) last season.

It's too bad, because that extra 100 grand probably would have been enough to lure Josh Hamilton here to solidify our offense with his bat. Damn rookies. :angryfire:

Archived