O's are raking it in

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't he baited by Sangar:scratchchinhmm:
Yes. That's a good point. But I think it's a safe assumption that MSK would have been here sooner or later with ...... his take on the matter of increased sales of Orioles merchandise. Also, Sangar is (understandably) annoyed with MSK's schtick of turning almost every thread that he posts in into his usual attack on the front office, which was the reason for his facetious post, so I'll allow myself to be biased in his favor cut him some slack for his hijack of the thread.

I don't necessarily disagree with MSK. In fact, I've been know to give him rep for making a good point. Nevertheless, how many times does a broken record have to skip before one gets tired of the song?

EDIT: Also, I plead guilty for intentionally baiting MSK. I offer my apologies to both MSK and the OP for derailing an otherwise fruitful thread.

I don't necessarily disagree with MSK. In fact, I've been know to give him rep for making a good point. Nevertheless, how many times does a broken record have to skip before one gets tired of the song?

I hate my self for picking on MSK, but even a broken clock is right twice a day...

While the O's don't receive that much of the merchandising revenue (it is correct that it is shared by all 30 teams except when sold at the stadium), the article also discusses how quickly the ticket "five packs" went and hints that season ticket sales will make a big jump, though Greg Bader is being dumure on that subject. I do think the O's could have been more aggressive so far this offseason. I'm waiting to see what else they do, but I'm bothered by losing Reynolds (who they actually could have signed for less than they paid him last year) and not replacing him with someone who is clearly better. I said all along that I wanted both him and MsLouth back unless their replacements were clearly better than they were. McLouth came back cheap and Reynolds was relatively cheap, too, but they let him go anyway. Righ now I'm unhappy about it but will wait and see what the roster looks like in mid-February before I react too much.

Is DD the one deciding what to spend:scratchchinhmm:

I've always believed DD has had more flexibility this offseason than he's letting on. As wildcard pointed out in a different thread, if we re-sign Saunders and trade for Morse - both realistic possibilities - the 2013 budget approaches $100 million which is a significant bump from last year. DD is acting like these moves are already signed off on and not a special scenario requiring him to visit PA hat in hand looking for a raise.

The signings of DLee and Vlad under AM indicates to me that PA is open to persuasion in certain cases. I wouldn't be surprised if Duquette is holding that card in reserve for a time he felt was more advantageous. Personally, I think this year warrants a little more risk, but I remain fully willing to give DD the benefit of the doubt.

While the O's don't receive that much of the merchandising revenue (it is correct that it is shared by all 30 teams except when sold at the stadium), the article also discusses how quickly the ticket "five packs" went and hints that season ticket sales will make a big jump, though Greg Bader is being dumure on that subject. I do think the O's could have been more aggressive so far this offseason. I'm waiting to see what else they do, but I'm bothered by losing Reynolds (who they actually could have signed for less than they paid him last year) and not replacing him with someone who is clearly better. I said all along that I wanted both him and MsLouth back unless their replacements were clearly better than they were. McLouth came back cheap and Reynolds was relatively cheap, too, but they let him go anyway. Righ now I'm unhappy about it but will wait and see what the roster looks like in mid-February before I react too much.

Poetic justice for you FRobby. Cleveland suffers a ST injury to one of their starting pitchers and trades Mark Reynolds to the Orioles for Steve Johnson who they are secretly high on.

Winning sells? Really???? Sports Business 101.

The bandwagoners came out in full force this winter...NICE! Now if the team is average or below by like June or so where will they be?!

I've not taken Sports business, but I've had plenty of business classes. And yes, quality sells.

Aside from that you make a good point about the potential for loss if a big contract was signed and regression occurred. If the Orioles signed Hamilton for 25 per, then went back into 70 win mode.......

Archived