O's are raking it in

Frobby

Money is made of 75% cotton and 25% linen, so technically it does not come from a tree what so ever.

The cotton plant is a small bush that is grown from a seed. The seed requires 68 degrees to germinate and grows for over 100 days to maturity.

One could argue that a bush is a small type of tree ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im really not picking sides and MSK is a pretty easy target here lately.

But this is how I feel and I do agree with certain aspects of his argument. 1st IMO the Orioles and therefore Angelos has plenty of money to increase payroll. Could they afford a $125 Million payroll? I think they could at this point. But I think that's pretty close to the ceiling without a packed house every night.

In the past many members of the Hangout WarOriole in particular comes to mind.... have been against spending on big tickets free agents until " The Cavalry is ready" or "We are one or two players away" .... That position has turned into "________________ got way to much money and _______ Team will regret that contract". There seems to be a number of teams every year that can afford the contracts to the top players. But one bad move would cripple the Orioles for many seasons to come. The Marlins loaded up last off season and dumped this off season. They certainly had no problem dumping those players/contracts to other teams.

I think two things have happened ...First a critical error by our GM in his 1st full offseason after a 10 year layoff. The players he was willing to trade weren't nearly so valuable as he thought they would be. Perhaps he convinced Angelos that he didnt need to add free agents as they could keep cost down by dealing from the stock of young pitching that included the 1st gen Cavalry.

This thread (and the topic) is about the Orioles raking it in in regard to the increase in Orioles merchandise sales, not what the Orioles can or cannot afford in their payroll. If the increase in Orioles merchandise means $3 Million more overall for MLB, which would be $100,000 more for the Orioles, that is not significant in terms of the Orioles' ability to spend more. Even if you multiply that times ten and the increase in the sale of Orioles merchandise means $30 Million more overall for MLB, which would be $1 Million more for the Orioles, that would still not be a significant amount in terms of the Orioles' ability to spend more on their payroll, either on signing high-profile free agents, or on locking up their current player(s) to long-term contracts.

Unfortunately, MSK (not surprisingly) has tried to turn this into another "Angelos is a cheapskate/the Orioles should be spending more money" thread, and you have followed his bait.

This thread (and the topic) is about the Orioles raking it in in regard to the increase in Orioles merchandise sales, not what the Orioles can or cannot afford in their payroll. If the increase in Orioles merchandise means $3 Million more overall for MLB, which would be $100,000 more for the Orioles, that is not significant in terms of the Orioles' ability to spend more. Even if you multiply that times ten and the increase in the sale of Orioles merchandise means $30 Million more overall for MLB, which would be $1 Million more for the Orioles, that would still not be a significant amount in terms of the Orioles' ability to spend more on their payroll, either on signing high-profile free agents, or on locking up their current player(s) to long-term contracts.

Unfortunately, MSK (not surprisingly) has tried to turn this into another "Angelos is a cheapskate/the Orioles should be spending more money" thread, and you have followed his bait.

Must spread rep.

No. The facts are there.

We're making more money and don't spend on FAs.

This wasn't about calling out Angelos.

MSK

This was your first post in the thread:

Snark.

But it's true. The Orioles are broke right? Angelos has no money.

We can't compete.

Love the apologists.

MSK

oooooo

Wasn't he baited by Sangar:scratchchinhmm:

Wasn't he baited by Sangar? :scratchchinhmm:

Yes. That's a good point. But I think it's a safe assumption that MSK would have been here sooner or later with ...... his take on the matter of increased sales of Orioles merchandise. Also, Sangar is (understandably) annoyed with MSK's schtick of turning almost every thread that he posts in into his usual attack on the front office, which was the reason for his facetious post, so I'll allow myself to be biased in his favor cut him some slack for his hijack of the thread.

I am one of those 2500 pre-orders, and living in Colorado, the whole family pushed the national retail totals up quite a bit, updating our O's gear this season.

That aside, the cash flow will hopefully be reflected in further reinvestment into the roster. I still don't think the O's are done looking for trades or depth as of yet this Hot Stove season....

-Don

Good on you, Don. :thumbsup1:

BRob's contract isn't some massive albatross that destroys our ability to develop the minors or make a free agent splash every now and then.

That is the maddening aspect of all of this.

MSK

Splashes are for show. Not many of them improve much of anything. It is the smart moves that pay dividends.

The minors were run very poorly until the last four years. The MASNCASHMONEY was never given to the team. Even if it should have been or was promised to be. Guess if you want to be a fan you deal with that for now.

The team has only recently shed a direction that ended up being foolish and not in tune with the modern game. I am sorry we gave Roberts the contract and that meddling from the Owner had us keep him. But hind sight is 20/20 and I did not realize that the Orioles would accomplish so much in their 96 win season of 2012 either. I am glad the club is run better, more efficiently and that the owner is permitting the expenditures to keep our core together even with a high cost basis.

Archived