O's are raking it in

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either that, or about 21 percent of one of our players that was getting the major league minimum salary ($480,000) last season.

It's too bad, because that extra 100 grand probably would have been enough to lure Josh Hamilton here to solidify our offense with his bat. Damn rookies. :angryfire:

I do understand that point though. Peter could mortgage MASN for 500 million. ANd he could have signed 5 Premium players who would be good during the next 3 to 5 years. He could win before he passes on. Of course his heirs would be massively upset with that.

I do understand that point though. Peter could mortgage MASN for 500 million. ANd he could have signed 5 Premium players who would be good during the next 3 to 5 years. He could win before he passes on. Of course his heirs would be massively upset with that.

He's already started winning, Weams. 93 wins, and a playoff birth last season. :)

I know what you mean, though. ;) Win at least a pennant, or maybe even a World Series or 2.

Not that it's a huge percentage by any means, but revenue from merchandise sold at the ballpark goes entirely to the team.
When the Orioles warehouse store sells Yankees or Red Sox gear, who gets the revenue? My guess is the profits goes to the Orioles, but since the Orioles are buying the merchandise to resell, NY and Boston gets a cut from that.

When the Orioles warehouse store sells Yankees or Red Sox gear, who gets the revenue? My guess is the profits goes to the Orioles, but since the Orioles are buying the merchandise to resell, NY and Boston gets a cut from that.

Cool! I bought an Os hat the only time I was in old Yankee Stadium.

You don't think the Roberts contract has restricted the moves that AM and DD can make?

Yes, to a degree.

As much as I love BRob, I believe we should have traded him a few years back before his injuries when his stock was high.

It's not like keeping him here has led to contention.

However, BRob's contract isn't some massive albatross that destroys our ability to develop the minors or make a free agent splash every now and then.

The money, as always, is there. It's been there.

That is the maddening aspect of all of this.

MSK

It's a sad state of affairs when a contract that represents what a #4 pitcher gets these days restricts the moves of a professional baseball team - but in our case it probably has.

True.

How many yrs have we been hearing that we "arent close enough to contending" to "waste" money on elite FA's ?

Well, we made the playoffs and we are still shopping at the bargain rack and pinning our hopes on reclamation projects

I have no doubt that we will improve on our 29-9 record in 1 run games. Who cares if it was the best recoird in 1 run gms since 1900?

I'll bet vital organs that we can eclipse that mark .... and then some

True.

How many yrs have we been hearing that we "arent close enough to contending" to "waste" money on elite FA's ?

Well, we made the playoffs and we are still shopping at the bargain rack and pinning our hopes on reclamation projects

I have no doubt that we will improve on our 29-9 record in 1 run games. Who cares if it was the best recoird in 1 run gms since 1900?

I'll bet vital organs that we can eclipse that mark .... and then some

That was the apologist's creed.

Now, they are "okay" with standing pat.

I swear, I wonder how many of these folks take the anti-forward-momentum-stance just because?

MSK

And Rule 5 picks unless you think the money for TJ McFarlands just grows on trees! Well money is made from paper which comes from trees so I guess technically the money for TJ McFarlands does grow on trees.

Money is made of 75% cotton and 25% linen, so technically it does not come from a tree what so ever.

Either that, or about 21 percent of one of our players that was getting the major league minimum salary ($480,000) last season.

It's too bad, because that extra 100 grand probably would have been enough to lure Josh Hamilton here to solidify our offense with his bat. Damn rookies. :angryfire:

Im really not picking sides and MSK is a pretty easy target here lately.

But this is how I feel and I do agree with certain aspects of his argument. 1st IMO the Orioles and therefore Angelos has plenty of money to increase payroll. Could they afford a $125 Million payroll? I think they could at this point. But I think that's pretty close to the ceiling without a packed house every night.

In the past many members of the Hangout WarOriole in particular comes to mind.... have been against spending on big tickets free agents until " The Cavalry is ready" or "We are one or two players away" .... That position has turned into "________________ got way to much money and _______ Team will regret that contract". There seems to be a number of teams every year that can afford the contracts to the top players. But one bad move would cripple the Orioles for many seasons to come. The Marlins loaded up last off season and dumped this off season. They certainly had no problem dumping those players/contracts to other teams.

I think two things have happened ...First a critical error by our GM in his 1st full offseason after a 10 year layoff. The players he was willing to trade weren't nearly so valuable as he thought they would be. Perhaps he convinced Angelos that he didnt need to add free agents as they could keep cost down by dealing from the stock of young pitching that included the 1st gen Cavalry.

Archived