Orioles Extend Showalter & Duquette through 2018

oriolefan123

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool! Seems a little long to me, but I'll take it. I guess we know why it took so long now. Tomorrows 10am press conference should be very interesting! Great news for the O's today! It will be really good to have stability in the front office IMO.

Great news! However, lot's of managers and GM's get fired before their contracts expire. I'd be shocked if they both made it through to the end of those deals. But it's a win-win for us. Most likely if they don't make it through those deals, things went south anyhow.

Did anyone really have too much of an issue with how long it took? I dont recall any real complaints, we all had heard that it was coming in January.:noidea:

Anyways, I like it. :thumbsup1:

Yes, there were complaints, in the context of comparing the owners of various teams.

I wonder if the long contract idea came mainly from Angelos or Buck/Duquette.

These extensions are HORRIBLE ideas.

Showalter is 56, Duquette is 54, both on the wrong side of 50. Past their primes, both are bound to regress.

Showalter is on a walk year after coming off injuries that required 2 surguries.

Duquette is being extended after a career year in team win turn-around numbers, and he wasn't even playing in the majors the previous year.

I doubt if either is going to be worth their salaries in the last 2 years of their contracts. They'll be albatrosses around the neck of this franchise for years. After all, we're a mid-market team. We can't afford to trhrow our money around on contracts that don't pay according to the proper dollar-per-win equation.

We obviously are paying them for past performance instead of what we think their future performance will be.

Let's just hope one of them can extend their career by DH'ing.

Does anyone know if either one cost us a draft pick?

Two winners at the helm. I like it.

And for the dude whining about age, take a look at the ages of Jocketty/Baker, or Johnson/Rizzo, or Dombrowski/Leland, or hell, even Bochy/Sabean! That's most of the playoffs and all of the WS, all well over 50/50, many of them way way over!

The young guys have been no more impressive as a group than the older generation.

Showalter is 56, Duquette is 54, both on the wrong side of 50. Past their primes, both are bound to regress.

Two winners at the helm. I like it.

And for the dude whining about age, take a look at the ages of Jocketty/Baker, or Johnson/Rizzo, or Dombrowski/Leland, or hell, even Bochy/Sabean! That's most of the playoffs and all of the WS, all well over 50/50, many of them way way over!

The young guys have been no more impressive as a group than the older generation.

He simply missed his smiley ;)

Showalter is on a walk year after coming off injuries that required 2 surguries.

Duquette is being extended after a career year in team win turn-around numbers, and he wasn't even playing in the majors the previous year.

I doubt if either is going to be worth their salaries in the last 2 years of their contracts. They'll be albatrosses around the neck of this franchise for years. After all, we're a mid-market team. We can't afford to trhrow our money around on contracts that don't pay according to the proper dollar-per-win equation.

We obviously are paying them for past performance instead of what we think their future performance will be.

Let's just hope one of them can extend their career by DH'ing.

Does anyone know if either one cost us a draft pick?

Plus, I thought our owner liked to have managerial flexibility so he could rotate guys in and out of the position when they needed a break from having a successful career.

What, does he expect to have the same success with the exact same GM-manager combo? That worked last year, but it was clearly a fluke. We have to improve at GM and manager if we want to have success. I would have lured Tony La Russa out of retirement for 10 years/$100 million. It's not my money so I don't care.

Edit: ;)

Archived