Orioles Extend Showalter & Duquette through 2018

oriolefan123

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best aspect of this is that it's clear Angelos trusts both guys. Hopefully that means he'll continue to stay out of things. Would be nice if he'd start writing larger checks.

This is just sinking in to me now about what this means for Big Peter. This is a long time! He might continue to stay out. It all depends on when Angelos wants out, if he even does. Does this news mean PA plans to stay on that long too?

And I'm not getting on PGA's case. This is a tremendous move and I applaud him. :clap3:

I hope all those posters who were complaining about Angelos dragging the signing out now know why it took a little extra.

Personally, I'm surprised by the length of the extension--and even not so sure it's a good idea.

I actually agree. I'm as big of a Buck supporter as you can get...buy 6 extra years? Hey...if anyone would get 6 years from me it would be Buck...but damn...that's a long-term commitment.

Another thing... For those who think Peter Angelos :

Would Buck Showalter sign on to manage this team for SIX YEARS if he believed that was true?

Think this is a fair point. When people say Angelos "isn't committed to winning" and "only cares about money" I tend to think that what they really are saying is that Angelos is not committed to winning the way they would like him to. Delve deeper in conversations with these people and you inevitably find they want to sign Hamilton, sign Greinke, sign whoever else is the FA of the moment.

Do I wish Pete would spend a little more...ya. Do I think the fact that he does not mean that he wants to lose...certainly not. Personally if you look at it strictly from a business standpoint, there have been teams that have competed and won world series with budgets less than the O's have. Why is Pete a "loser" for expecting that those who spend his money, maximize its return? When you look at what other teams do with far far less, a payroll hovering around a 100 million should be enough to be very competitive

Compiled Player Reactions from the Sun, MASN, and Twitter (Roch, Britt, Encina, Connolly, Melewski, and AJ):

First and foremost, he's a guy who goes to bat for his players. He stands behind us and he's one of the guys in the clubhouse who's ready to go to war on the field. And on top of that, he's one of the best baseball minds in the game. And when you're able to learn from a guy with his knowledge and have him pushing the buttons, you feel pretty comfortable that he's going to hit the right buttons more times than not.
That's what you want. Its tough having a revolving door and people coming in and doing their things in a different way. You can see [Duquette] can build a championship team, and that's what we are shooting for. I'm most excited about picking [showalter's] brain and learning from him. He's got a great baseball mind.
It's so hard to be able to develop the consistency that makes it an easier workplace when you are constantly changing people at the top. And we are able to get two guys that are good at what they do to keep their positions for a while, which is a good step forward. As a player, it's nice to know who you are going to be working with, and especially Buck being back as the manager, seeing what he's done to this organization and what's been done since he got here.
I've always been interested [in staying long-term in Baltimore]. I'm a huge fan of Baltimore and what Buck and Dan have done. It's something to where it's a great baseball town, it's a fun place to play and it's a place where I enjoy playing. To have a manager like that and players like that [locked up], that definitely doesn't hurt.
[seeing a GM and manager sign long term deals together is] something in pro sports you rarely see happen. And, speaking from a player's point of view, it's something you like to see. These two signings are setting the precedent that we're not just looking to have a couple good years, but we want to be a great franchise

- Matt Wieters

I'm excited to hear about Buck and Dan's contract extensions. Knowing Buck will be our manager for many years to come makes me even more glad that I signed my contract last year. We made progress in 2012, but our goal is always the World Series and this announcement is only going to help us be better in the future
Me signing my 6year deal with the Orioles is arguably the smartest thing I've done. Not money wise but for the opportunity to play for Show.

- Adam Jones

Stability at the top is extremely important and this shows a huge commitment on behalf of the Angelos' as well as Buck and Dan to continue to build a winning organization for years to come. They've obviously done an incredible job in a very short period of time changing the culture and atmosphere of the organization.

- Brian Roberts

I think this is the best possible thing for the organization. Buck was a big part of reason I wanted to stay. Dan did a lot last year. Together I'm sure they'll be able to do a lot more.
No one likes to play for a new manager every year or every couple of years. That's no fun. A lot of the guys in the clubhouse are returning and we all respect and like Buck and we all respect and like Dan. And now you don't have to worry about it. It definitely helps as a player.
Hardy called Buck "brilliant" in managing & is pumped about the extension. Said he's glad to be here for next two years "hopefully more".

- JJ Hardy and Britt Ghrioli

Buck and Dan were able to put a good team on the field. It speaks to their relationship theyre able to work together for 6 yrs. It's a good fit for [buck]. I think you will see a lot more to come from him. It's a good time for Baltimore and the team and the fans. When you get asked to be part of this for a long time, it's something to be excited about.
That's what you want. That consistency. It's tough having a revolving door and people coming in and doing their things in a different way. If you look at Buck and Dan, they have track records and backgrounds of being successful. To have them both working with you and working for the organization, it's a big relief.
We have here a great group of guys. We are young and now we are starting to play together as a team. And that all goes back to Buck, what he brings and his approach to the game. If he is going somewhere, everyone wants to jump on board. You feel comfortable with his decisions.

- Nick Markakis

I think this is a smart move by PA and his family and the 6 years is his way of saying if top players can demand 6 year contracts why not give my GM and Manager 6 year deals? He's telling everyone he values his front office as much as top players and probably more becuase only a few players get 6 year deals . I guess the next big question is how much are they going to be paid? I don't believe this has been leaked anywhere or has it?

Think this is a fair point. When people say Angelos "isn't committed to winning" and "only cares about money" I tend to think that what they really are saying is that Angelos is not committed to winning the way they would like him to. Delve deeper in conversations with these people and you inevitably find they want to sign Hamilton, sign Greinke, sign whoever else is the FA of the moment.

Do I wish Pete would spend a little more...ya. Do I think the fact that he does not mean that he wants to lose...certainly not. Personally if you look at it strictly from a business standpoint, there have been teams that have competed and won world series with budgets less than the O's have. Why is Pete a "loser" for expecting that those who spend his money, maximize its return? When you look at what other teams do with far far less, a payroll hovering around a 100 million should be enough to be very competitive

bravo.jpg

I'll be the lone wolf and say the extension is too long for Buck and too soon for DD.

2012 was a special season. Everyone feels warm and fuzzy and 48 hours before fanfest and a few weeks from spring training is a great time for a positive jolt.

But lets remember that as good as he seems, Buck has been fired from his previous 3 managerial gigs and never stayed in one place for more than 4 seasons. He was fired even after being named manager of the year -- by two different GMs. When he came here, Buck had the rep of being sharp and detailed but one who had a short shelf life. The word was, his exacting nature would wear on players after a while and he'd have to go.

Maybe he has mellowed. Maybe the others got it wrong. I can see rewarding him with a couple of years...but 6?

While I can see some justification for Buck, the DD extension makes me much more nervous. It's been one year. You can count on 1 hand the number of moves of consequence he made last year. He was out of baseball for a long time and there's a reason for that. It's only been a year but it's hard to see much difference in our minor league system. And when you say, "well, it's only been a year" you are justifyng exactly why we don't know enough to make a 6 yr committment.

As we all know and discussed many times, there's plenty of data suggest that the Orioles played over their head last year. There's also data that provides reason for optimism. We don't need to go over it again. But there has to be some doubts even among the believers. Given the competitiveness of the division, would you really be shocked if we finished in last place this year? shocked? How about 4th? If we end up with 78 wins, there will be plenty of frustration and many will look back to the quiet winter of 2013 and wonder why we made a 6 year commit so quickly.

Sorry to be a non-believer and I'll be thrilled to admit later that 6 years was actually too short.

I'll be the lone wolf and say the extension is too long for Buck and too soon for DD.

2012 was a special season. Everyone feels warm and fuzzy and 48 hours before fanfest and a few weeks from spring training is a great time for a positive jolt.

But lets remember that as good as he seems, Buck has been fired from his previous 3 managerial gigs and never stayed in one place for more than 4 seasons. He was fired even after being named manager of the year -- by two different GMs. When he came here, Buck had the rep of being sharp and detailed but one who had a short shelf life. The word was, his exacting nature would wear on players after a while and he'd have to go.

Agree. He wore out his welcome in his previous stops. On the plus side, when he does leave the odds are good that his team will go to the WS the following year.

Once we get past the initial reaction to the length of these deals, the next conversation will almost certainly move toward organizational direction.

DD (especially) and Buck have operated like they're thinking about a long-term re-build, IMO. The relatively quiet offseasons have provided more financial flexibility and, aside from minor deals, DD has not traded away our highest upside chips. I suppose a lot of that has to do with the apparent fact that other teams aren't placing the value on our chips that we are.

I like the Wieters quotes; makes me think (or is it just more hope?) he might be willing to extend.

With so many years to plan, it gives Buck and DD an opportunity to really discuss roster composition and payroll. This conversation will include everyone from Markakis to Gausman and Schoop.

Once we get past the initial reaction to the length of these deals, the next conversation will almost certainly move toward organizational direction.

DD (especially) and Buck have operated like they're thinking about a long-term re-build, IMO. The relatively quiet offseasons have provided more financial flexibility and, aside from minor deals, DD has not traded away our highest upside chips. I suppose a lot of that has to do with the apparent fact that other teams aren't placing the value on our chips that we are.

I like the Wieters quotes; makes me think (or is it just more hope?) he might be willing to extend.

With so many years to plan, it gives Buck and DD an opportunity to really discuss roster composition and payroll. This conversation will include everyone from Markakis to Gausman and Schoop.

Well -- that's one way to view an offseason of inactivity. There's something to what you say but on the other hand, our payroll has increased as our young players have it arbitration. That's likely to continue as more young guys acrue time. So, I don't really see how we will achieve more financial flexibility unless we are willing to increase payroll and there is no evidence of that. If flexibility or "long-term rebuild" were really the direction, its hard to see how "do nothing" makes the most sense.

Well -- that's one way to view an offseason of inactivity. There's something to what you say but on the other hand, our payroll has increased as our young players have it arbitration. That's likely to continue as more young guys acrue time. So, I don't really see how we will achieve more financial flexibility unless we are willing to increase payroll and there is no evidence of that. If flexibility or "long-term rebuild" were really the direction, its hard to see how "do nothing" makes the most sense.

Increasing payroll is not a sure way to win. And most times it's a poor decision, at least with Free Agents. The Orioles are signing their young players to reasonable extensions to take advantage of their prime years. That's a very good decision. The financial flexibility will happen once the Minor League system begins producing players that can cheaply replace higher priced players that can, and should, be traded.

Archived