Orioles Extend Showalter & Duquette through 2018

oriolefan123

Maybe the best aspect of this is that Buck probably knew that Duquette was getting a co-extensive extension, and Duquette knew Buck was getting one, and that was perfectly fine with both of them. That suggests they are not worried about not being on the same page, either short or long term.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Showalter was asked about the extensions coming for both him and Duquette.

"I think if you look at one common denominator in baseball, there is a direct correlation between the manager and general manager. It's a team," he said. "It's something I'm comfortable with, Dan is comfortable with. Dan has strengths that I don't have and I like to think I bring some things. It's a good complement. I like the idea there will be some continuity and consistency. Everyone is going to know who to blame and I'm OK with that."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/01/os-announce-duquette-showalter-sign-extensions-through-18.html

Could Peter be giving both Buck and D D salary protection, in case he sells the team sometime down the road?

I think its more of a case of Angelos committing to these guys long term so that they can put a long term organizational plan in place. I doubt that PA would worry to much about what would happen to these guys after PA sold the team. If anything, I think this represents a strong signal that PA isn't going anywhere either.

I for one am excited at the length of the deals. The revolving door at the warehouse and the clubhouse is over. No more hiring managers and forcing them to keep coaches from the previous regime, no more co-GMs, no more sweater vests. So nice for the Orioles to have an identity in the front office and the dugout. Cheers Orioles management!

As far as I'm concerned,Buck earned it. He turned this franchise from the laughing stock of the AL East to a team that hosted postseason games for the first time in 15 years.

Same with Dan Duquette,who never gets the credit he deserves for his part in the 04 Red Sox. Yes,Theo Epstein made a couple of moves but Duquette is the one who laid the groundwork for it.

Plus, I thought our owner liked to have managerial flexibility so he could rotate guys in and out of the position when they needed a break from having a successful career.

What, does he expect to have the same success with the exact same GM-manager combo? That worked last year, but it was clearly a fluke. We have to improve at GM and manager if we want to have success. I would have lured Tony La Russa out of retirement for 10 years/$100 million. It's not my money so I don't care.

Edit: ;)

I'll bet neither one is even making $3 million either. More Angelos dumpster diving for cheap talent. :angryfire:

smiley

Archived