SI.com grades the O's offseason.

ChaosLex

Just trying to keep this straight. So basically ESPN, SI, Keith Law, MLB Network etc etc all suck and don't have a clue. Running out of writers and publications that hold any kind of respect on this site.
In comparison to Buck and DD yes. Indeed they do. They rely on superficial analysis and stat cliche's to speak to a natioanl audience largely ignorant of who and what the O's players are. Yeah, Flaherty had lousy numbers at 2B last year in sporatic AB. But Buck saw enough in him to keep him on the roster and he was one of the best hitters the last two months of the season, .835 OPS from Aug 24, .875 OPS ALDS.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read their "expert" opinions from last year, and then come back and see us!

Of course they aren't going to be right every year on every team. It's unrealistic to expect that, but it's just not smart to think that because they're not 100% correct that their opinion is meaningless.

In comparison to Buck and DD yes. Indeed they do. They rely on superficial analysis and stat cliche's to speak to a natioanl audience largely ignorant of who and what the O's players are. Yeah, Flaherty had lousy numbers at 2B last year in sporatic AB. But Buck saw enough in him to keep him on the roster and he was one of the best hitters the last two months of the season, .835 OPS from Aug 24, .875 OPS ALDS.

This right here. Could not have said it better.

Casilla, a perennial disappointment in Minnesota who was plucked off the waiver wire after hitting just .241/.282/.321, is barely suitable as utility infielder fodder, let alone as a replacement if/when Roberts gets hurt again.

I still think Casilla is an upgrade over Andino.

Given the dearth of free agents and Duquette?s penchant for digging up long-lost players, one wonders if he might give Vlad Guerrero another shot.

No, this wasn't a sarcastic comment, they meant it.

I don't recall anyone seriously discussing calling Machado up.

I take umbrage at the idea that Schoop "struggled mightily" at AA last season. Sure he didn't dominate but he was 20 and his OPS was a whopping 79 points lower then Machado's. So 789 OPS is September callup worthy and 710 is "struggled mightily"? Seems like kind of a tight grouping there. Is 720-745 "struggling" and 746-777 "doing ok"?

Of course he also finished 17th in the AFL in OPS at 874, making their rising star game.

I didnt mean to come off as ripping Schoop, as you said he was only 20 years old. But I think based off of last year he will not be projected to get called up. Especially when we have Casilla, Flaherty, Roberts all around....not saying they are great options but I believe those 3 will be playing before Schoop this year.

I didnt mean to come off as ripping Schoop, as you said he was only 20 years old. But I think based off of last year he will not be projected to get called up. Especially when we have Casilla, Flaherty, Roberts all around....not saying they are great options but I believe those 3 will be playing before Schoop this year.

Gotcha.

I agree that they will play before Schoop does this year. However... I think that if he is doing fine and second base looks as bad as it could, he might end up getting called up like Machado did. I do not think that is the plan at this point. I think ideally they want to get him another full season in the minors.

Did you have us winning 90+ games and making the playoffs last year?

Nope. 82 wins was my prediction.

What does that prove? Only that they know as much as I do when it comes to predicting wins. Everyone is on the Jays train due to all their moves, but you just never know how a bunch of guys will play as a team. Anaheim showed last year that just because you sign all the big free agents doesn't guarantee you a spot in the playoffs. Its all about pitching. National Writers will not give the Orioles any props because our young guys don't have experience and track records yet. And MAYBE they are right and last year was a flash in the pan. Or maybe our young pitching is the early 90's Braves, ready to give us a decade of dominance? You don't know, which is why I say I wipe my arse with what national writers predict. Whether they predict us for 1st place or last doesn't matter. Their predictions are just something to talk about...nothing more, nothing less.

Gotcha.

I agree that they will play before Schoop does this year. However... I think that if he is doing fine and second base looks as bad as it could, he might end up getting called up like Machado did. I do not think that is the plan at this point. I think ideally they want to get him another full season in the minors.

I agree, if our guys are sucking eggs I think they may give Schoop a try depending on how he is doing...

I like Schoop, but am not as high on him as others seem to be. I think he is trade material if we can include him in a nice package for an impact player.

But D-? Whom do they suggest the O's should have signed? Other then Vlad I mean? Should they have traded Bundy+ for Upton? They don't even mention Schoop as a possible answer to the second base problem, even after DD called Machado up to fix third base last season.

So you really thnk it should be better than a D. Without the gaggle of retreads/ AAAA/ and independent league players the Orioles did nothing. I mean gosh .... I take a beating here when discussing the off season for being negative.

Realisitically the off season grade is accurate. I guess a fire sale would've got a E or F. Last season the Orioles had a lot go right and this season we will all be hoping that some guy who hasnt done much in MLB finds his A game. Just sayin

Nope. 82 wins was my prediction.

What does that prove? Only that they know as much as I do when it comes to predicting wins. Everyone is on the Jays train due to all their moves, but you just never know how a bunch of guys will play as a team. Anaheim showed last year that just because you sign all the big free agents doesn't guarantee you a spot in the playoffs. Its all about pitching. National Writers will not give the Orioles any props because our young guys don't have experience and track records yet. And MAYBE they are right and last year was a flash in the pan. Or maybe our young pitching is the early 90's Braves, ready to give us a decade of dominance? You don't know, which is why I say I wipe my arse with what national writers predict. Whether they predict us for 1st place or last doesn't matter. Their predictions are just something to talk about...nothing more, nothing less.

But their profession is to write about sports, and at times make predictions...so thats what they do. I agree its just something to talk about, but ripping them like many do on this forum is just ridiculous. Most of us tend to forget that they are also more "neutral" than us, of course they are going to think we are a flash in the pan, because we havent proven anything at all yet. I imagine if we put together another successful season of .500+ ball we will start getting more props as we are starting to prove ourselves.

I remember the media saying the 2005 White Sox were a flash in the pan despite winning the WS.....and for the most part they were correct.

So you really thnk it should be better than a D. Without the gaggle of retreads/ AAAA/ and independent league players the Orioles did nothing. I mean gosh .... I take a beating here when discussing the off season for being negative.

Realisitically the off season grade is accurate. I guess a fire sale would've got a E or F. Last season the Orioles had a lot go right and this season we will all be hoping that some guy who hasnt done much in MLB finds his A game. Just sayin

Excuse me, an E?

I would be fine with a "c". You can't say that they lost much from last year's team. To me a "d" ranking would indicate that the team should be weaker then last season. Even if the results don't reflect it there is no reason to assume that this year's team will be less talented then last year's.

Archived