Mike Carp is on the trading block (update: traded to Red Sox)

NIGHTHAWK

The real question is if he's a better fit than Ishikawa. Carp is a weird left handed hitter in that he actually hits significantly better against lefties. Ishi has a more balanced split with a slight edge to righties. Basically their stats don't separate their bats enough for me to make a call.

But then there's defense.

Carp sucks at 1B (so far in the majors anyway). He's put up slightly worse than Davis so far but doesn't sniff a candle to Ishikawa's defensive prowess who far outstrips him.

I say, thanks but no thanks. We already have our backup 1B

Ishikawa Fielding

Carp Fielding

Davis Fielding

Carp is on the trade block because he was DFA and out of options.

No way do I claim Carp, use a 40 and even 25 man roster spot for him, and have to DFA one our players already on the 40 man. If he clears waivers and you want to use another minor league spot for him, while also having to find at bats for Ishikawa, Jackson, Pearce, Canzler... go for it. I just don't think he adds anything above and beyond what we already have. For a starting 1Bman, I'd rather have Davis. For defensive depth at AAA, I'd rather have Ishikawa. For a left handed bat on the bench, I'd rather have Dickerson and we already have Betemit (supposedly a switch-hitter, but we know better). I just don't see a fit for Carp given the players we've already added for depth.

It's a moot point, but Wada can be moved to the 60 Day DL to open up another roster spot.

I don't believe you can make that move, ie. place a player on any DL, until the end of spring training. Until opening day, at least, he has to remain on the 40 man roster. If we claim a player now, the corresponding roster move has to be made now. At least that's how I understand it.

I don't believe you can make that move, ie. place a player on any DL, until the end of spring training. Until opening day, at least, he has to remain on the 40 man roster. If we claim a player now, the corresponding roster move has to be made now. At least that's how I understand it.

3 (or 4) players have already been placed on the 60 Day DL this spring in corresponding roster moves.

3 (or 4) players have already been placed on the 60 Day DL this spring in corresponding roster moves.

2/18 Daniel Hudson (Arizona) for the incoming Tony Campana.

2/15 Josh Tomlin (Cleveland) for Michael Bourn

2/14 Edwar Cabrera (Colorado) for Reid Brignac

2/13 Alex Rodriguez (NYY) for Shawn Kelley

2/12 Felipe Paulio (KC) for Elliot Johnson

I was under the assumption it was end of ST but apparently it is first day of ST.

2/18 Daniel Hudson (Arizona) for the incoming Tony Campana.

2/15 Josh Tomlin (Cleveland) for Michael Bourn

2/14 Edwar Cabrera (Colorado) for Reid Brignac

2/13 Alex Rodriguez (NYY) for Shawn Kelley

2/12 Felipe Paulio (KC) for Elliot Johnson

I was under the assumption it was end of ST but apparently it is first day of ST.

Thanks. I had no idea this was possible.

I still wouldn't do it for Carp, but it's good to know that the option is available if another, better, opportunity come up.

Archived