Before the book is completely closed on Mark Reynolds

Believer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
El Gordo, do the "dropped ball" stats only include dropped throws, or also dropped pop-ups? I recall Reynolds occasionally getting turned around and missing a pop-up. I really can't remember him dropping an accurate throw from an infielder in 2012, which Davis did at least twice last year. I do seem to remember Reynolds dropping a throw from the pitcher or catcher on a slow roller up the 1B line where the play was going to be bang-bang sometimes in the second half of 2011.
Actually it is errors on catches, so I would assume it includes missed pop ups as well.

Davis' problem is that of the 4 dropped balls in his entire career at 1B, 3 happend last season. His play last season was a snapshot. It would be like watching Brooks Robinson play in the game he had 3 E in one inning and assuming he was a lousy 3B. Davis has 4 Cch E's 4 Fld E's, 2 Thr E's compared to Reynolds' 4 Cch E's 10 Fld E's and 2 Thr E's, in 500 more innings played at 1B. That's s pretty fair indication of their relative abilities IMO. Davis is less flashy, but steadier with better range.

Yeah, I'm with you. Unless Davis has developed some sort of baseball catching dyslexia, I think we'll probably be ok.

Check out the Huffmeisters numbers at 3B compared to Reynolds.

By career UZR Huff is better than Reynolds who is better than Wigginton (all at third). Wigginton actually had a 300-inning stint with the Pirates where he registered a -53 UZR/150. Which is kind of like going 11-for-133 at the plate. Reynolds' '11-12 numbers are only in the -35 range. Huff never dipped below -30 in any 100+ inning stint.

Laughable that Chris Davis is a better 1b. Did you watch the games Davis played in the field last year? He dropped a perfect strike from Hardy or one of the other infielders in Chicago. Sorry you're in the big leagues. That should NEVER happen. He also had about as many errors as Reynolds at 1b in about 60 less games.

He actually dropped 4 balls right in his hands last year. 2 at first base, and 2 in the outfield.

He actually dropped 4 balls right in his hands last year. 2 at first base, and 2 in the outfield.

You know what? Overall, he played a better outfield than I expected, by far. I think he will be solid defensively at 1B this year. But, he'll have to prove it after some of his miscues there in 2012.

By career UZR Huff is better than Reynolds who is better than Wigginton (all at third). Wigginton actually had a 300-inning stint with the Pirates where he registered a -53 UZR/150. Which is kind of like going 11-for-133 at the plate. Reynolds' '11-12 numbers are only in the -35 range. Huff never dipped below -30 in any 100+ inning stint.
Knew the Huffmeister was better than Reynolds(interesting note no Cc E's at 3B ever) thought Wigginton was bad but not that bad. In his defense Wigginton was a UT and Reynolds was supposed to be a starting 3B How does Reynolds compre historically to starting 3B?

You know what? Overall, he played a better outfield than I expected, by far. I think he will be solid defensively at 1B this year. But, he'll have to prove it after some of his miscues there in 2012.
Reynolds had as many E's at 3B in the few innings he played there, as Davis had for the whole season at 3 different positions. Davis 4E's 1B, 1E RF, 1E LF. Reynolds 6E's 3B, 5E's 1B.

Reynolds had as many E's at 3B in the few innings he played there, as Davis had for the whole season at 3 different positions. Davis 4E's 1B, 1E RF, 1E LF. Reynolds 6E's 3B, 5E's 1B.

Not really a fair comparison, though. In 2012, the average team made 20 errors at 3B, 10 at 1B, 5 in RF and 5 in LF. So, 3B is by far a more error-prone position than the positions Davis played. I will grant you that Reynolds was making errors at an absurd rate over a quite small sample (6 errors in 15 games).

The book on Reynolds will not be closed unless they O's win the World Series or Reynolds is so bad that Cleveland benches him. Anything in-between, and there will be a chorus of Birds fans singing the "Should have signed Reynolds" song.

I'm fine with them not bringing him back.

Not really a fair comparison, though. In 2012, the average team made 20 errors at 3B, 10 at 1B, 5 in RF and 5 in LF. So, 3B is by far a more error-prone position than the positions Davis played. I will grant you that Reynolds was making errors at an absurd rate over a quite small sample (6 errors in 15 games).

Also, the comparison of errors at 1B was not complete, and the 1B comparison is the most important one since Davis is replacing Reynolds at that position. He pointed out that Reynolds made 5 errors at 1B, while Davis only made 4, which is true ...... but Reynolds had more than 2 and-a-half times the chances than Davis had at 1B. Reynolds had 5 errors in 971 chances, while Davis had 4 errors in 374 chances.

I'm not lamenting the loss of Reynolds. The Orioles made the right move in letting him walk IMO. While I like Reynolds and his approach to the game, he really was a disappointment in a lot of ways. His play at third last year was atrocious at best. This is after he lost weight in order to improve his defensive play at the position. Most importantly, he really was not that much of an offensive force last season. In comparison, Davis is younger, cheaper, and was much more productive at the plate. He has as much power as Reynolds and is a much better hitter. Davis will be fine at first base this season. I wish Reynolds luck, but the Orioles have a player in Davis who can play the same position and hit in the meat of the lineup.

Also, the comparison of errors at 1B was not complete, and the 1B comparison is the most important one since Davis is replacing Reynolds at that position. He pointed out that Reynolds made 5 errors at 1B, while Davis only made 4, which is true ...... but Reynolds had more than 2 and-a-half times the chances than Davis had at 1B. Reynolds had 5 errors in 971 chances, while Davis had 4 errors in 374 chances.

Instead of looking at Davis' limited play at 1B last season, why not look at his play there over his career and compare it to Reynolds at 1B over his career. Pointing out that Davis made 2 errors in the OF last season to somehow bolster your argument that he is a poor 1B was lame.

Instead of looking at Davis' limited play at 1B last season, why not look at his play there over his career and compare it to Reynolds at 1B over his career. Pointing out that Davis made 2 errors in the OF last season to somehow bolster your argument that he is a poor 1B was lame.

You made the comparison of errors between the 2 players last year.

I pointed out the major factor that you omitted. Trying to weasel in an errors comparison as you did when one player had more than 2 and a half as many chances as the other is lame.

You made the comparison of errors between the 2 players last year.

I pointed out the major factor that you omitted. Trying to weasel in an errors comparison as you did when one player had more than 2 and a half as many chances as the other is lame.

Who said this? "He actually dropped 4 balls right in his hands last year. 2 at first base, and 2 in the outfield." You want to make a case that Davis is a poor 1B because he dropped some balls in limited play last season? Try using his career numbers. Prior to last season Davis had one missed catch in 1749 innings at 1B. Reynolds had 4 in 604 innings at 1B.

Archived