Before the book is completely closed on Mark Reynolds

Believer

You don't see Reimold batting greater than .221 and hitting more than 23 HR in 500+ PAs??

The numbers speak for themselves. The whole Reynolds thing has been beaten into the ground numerous times on this board. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, to improve the club, and Duquette handled the Reynolds situation exactly the way he intended. He felt he had a better (offensively and defensively) and cheaper option in Davis - case closed.

How soon we forget. Just about everyone on this board was ready to run Reynolds out of town at the A.S. break last year. Many suggesting outright release.

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of Reimold replacing the 23HR's that Reynolds hit last year.... however that was the worst year of Reynolds career and I don't think anyone on the O's roster will match the HR's & RBI's that Reynolds will have for Cleveland this year. I'm predicting 35+ HR's 110+ RBI's for Reynolds in Cleveland.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its 60-40 that they shouldnt have lost him. I think he'll hit 30 HRs this year or more. Thats alot to give up in any lineup. Reimold and a full time

Nick may not cover that and what they were getting from their replacements last year.Hope I'm wrong.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about losing Reynolds were also whining about how much he sucked when he was here.........(ahem Roy);)

Mark and I won Roy over in the end ;)

If Reynolds is 1B then Davis is full time DH and Reimold is platoon LF and Betemit is a PH. So essentially they are giving Reynolds PA to Reimold/Betemit, not just Reimold. So how well will the combined numbers of Reimold/Betemit compare to Reynolds' this season?

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of Reimold replacing the 23HR's that Reynolds hit last year.... however that was the worst year of Reynolds career and I don't think anyone on the O's roster will match the HR's & RBI's that Reynolds will have for Cleveland this year. I'm predicting 35+ HR's 110+ RBI's for Reynolds in Cleveland.

But is that really worth anything? He's already among the all time leaders in 20 homer seasons worth one win or less. Many times he's been the poster boy for having good counting stats on top of a pretty empty overall contribution.

Leaders with 20+ homer seasons worth 1.0 rWAR or less:

[TABLE]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TH]Rk

[/TH]

[TH][/TH]

[TH]Yrs

[/TH]

[TH]From

[/TH]

[TH]To

[/TH]

[TH]Age

[/TH]

[TH][/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1

[/TD]

[TD]Dante Bichette

[/TD]

[TD]7

[/TD]

[TD]1994

[/TD]

[TD]2000

[/TD]

[TD]30-36

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2

[/TD]

[TD]Joe Carter

[/TD]

[TD]5

[/TD]

[TD]1990

[/TD]

[TD]1997

[/TD]

[TD]30-37

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3

[/TD]

[TD]Rob Deer

[/TD]

[TD]5

[/TD]

[TD]1986

[/TD]

[TD]1993

[/TD]

[TD]25-32

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]Dave Kingman

[/TD]

[TD]5

[/TD]

[TD]1977

[/TD]

[TD]1986

[/TD]

[TD]28-37

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5

[/TD]

[TD]Mark Reynolds

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]2008

[/TD]

[TD]2012

[/TD]

[TD]24-28

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6

[/TD]

[TD]Adam Dunn

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]2006

[/TD]

[TD]2012

[/TD]

[TD]26-32

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Stevens

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]1997

[/TD]

[TD]2001

[/TD]

[TD]29-33

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8

[/TD]

[TD]Eric Karros

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]1992

[/TD]

[TD]2000

[/TD]

[TD]24-32

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9

[/TD]

[TD]Ruben Sierra

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]1987

[/TD]

[TD]2001

[/TD]

[TD]21-35

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10

[/TD]

[TD]Dave Parker

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]1986

[/TD]

[TD]1990

[/TD]

[TD]35-39

[/TD]

[TD]Ind. Seasons

[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

If Reynolds is 1B then Davis is full time DH and Reimold is platoon LF and Betemit is a PH. So essentially they are giving Reynolds PA to Reimold/Betemit, not just Reimold. So how well will the combined numbers of Reimold/Betemit compare to Reynolds' this season?

Ding. Ding. Ding. This is the point exactly. Reimold doesn't have to do it by himself, but the combination of Davis at 1B and Reimold/Betemit at DH is better than Reynolds at 1B and any combination of players we had at DH last season. I have no problem with any of Reynolds, Andino, or Saunders leaving this roster. Unless the Bosox start beating us again. Then I want Andino back just to sit on the bench!

Ding. Ding. Ding. This is the point exactly. Reimold doesn't have to do it by himself, but the combination of Davis at 1B and Reimold/Betemit at DH is better than Reynolds at 1B and any combination of players we had at DH last season. I have no problem with any of Reynolds, Andino, or Saunders leaving this roster. Unless the Bosox start beating us again. Then I want Andino back just to sit on the bench!
I'd just let Davis pitch when we play the Sux. Think of Reimold/Betemit as one player who costs 3M and will give you about an .830 OPS with a .335 OBP, 25 HR and 80 RBI's. I don't want to take 400 PA away from that guy, to make room for Reynolds at 7M.

Yes, you have a point. But when i said he "sucked" and wanted him gone, it was valid. Then he started hitting and played first base. It was valid that he

was alot better too.The fact is, if they had replaced him with a better first baseman and more consistent hitter(Mike Morse?) it would be fine with me,

but they didn't.

Chris Davis is both of those things.

Except that Betemit had 341 at bats last year with Davis and Reynolds on the team. Betemit probably doesn't get to 400 at bats this year as the lefthanded DH who is on the bench vs the NL for 13 games.

Except that Betemit had 341 at bats last year with Davis and Reynolds on the team. Betemit probably doesn't get to 400 at bats this year as the lefthanded DH who is on the bench vs the NL for 13 games.
I see Betemit getting about 300 PA at DH vs RHP and Reimold getting 350 PA vs LHP and RHP. Last season Betemit hit against LHP too often because of Reynolds atrocious play at 3B, and Markakis' injuries forcing Davis to the OF.

Every time I hear them say that we didn't "lose" anyone, I think of Mark Reynolds. I will "remember" Reynolds as a pretty significant part of last year's team - at least in the 2nd half. His defense at 1B solidified a shaky infield. It seemed like the team rallied off of his competitive fire (diving into the stands, calling out an ump...). His hot streak late in the season carried the team at a pretty important time.

I will remember Reynolds as a guy who was absolutely despised by the fans from April-July because he couldn't field and wasn't hitting as a DH (they get paid to hit, IIRC). He racked up 150+ strike outs and severely hampered this team for most of the season in the field and at the plate. His departure from the team seemed very similar to what forced Luke Scott out of Baltimore.

Yes, you have a point. But when i said he "sucked" and wanted him gone, it was valid. Then he started hitting and played first base. It was valid that he

was alot better too.The fact is, if they had replaced him with a better first baseman and more consistent hitter(Mike Morse?) it would be fine with me,

but they didn't.

I like this quote because it is so perfectly right....and wrong.

He sucked and many wanted him gone. It was valid

It was valid to feel that way but management chose not to, and that decision turned into....

Then he started hitting and played first base. It was valid that he was alot better too.

This too is valid, but again, management chose to go another direction.

While the ultimate determination of good move bad move of letting Reynolds go will unfold as the season goes forward, clearly there is no straight, clear answer. If he was replaced when you (and most of us) were down on him, when it was valid to want him gone, we do not know if the season unfolds the way that it did, but it is certain, that his performance justified not following this line of thinking when he "sucked". Therefore, him being gone would have been the wrong choice at that time. In essence you got your wish, although in a time frame that proved to be very beneficial to the team. We really cannot debate that point.

If we only take the last part...if they replace him with a better first baseman and more consistent hitter, we get to the final point...which we cannot answer. However, will we judge the replacement (Davis at the present) by the player Reynolds was that you (we) wanted out? Or will we judge him as the guy you (we) wanted to see again at 1st. I smile reading your quote because I agree with both sides. But so far at least, it would appear that the decision makers here have gotten it right and we have gotten it wrong. Of course past performance does not guarantee future results and yada yada...

But in reality Reynolds is/was both of those players so eloquently described in your post. Of course we want the Orioles to keep the second Reynolds and to have cut the first. The O's went a different direction and only time will tell if letting him go was correct. But in hindsight where 20/20 is always present, the decision to keep him when our conventional wisdom said otherwise proved precient. I am fine giving the benefit of the doubt on the decision to let him walk, even as I join you in saying I have no problem judging his replacement against the second Reynolds and not the first. And I think that is the beautiful thing about your post...whether intentional or not.:D

Chris Davis is both of those things.

Laughable that Chris Davis is a better 1b. Did you watch the games Davis played in the field last year? He dropped a perfect strike from Hardy or one of the other infielders in Chicago. Sorry you're in the big leagues. That should NEVER happen. He also had about as many errors as Reynolds at 1b in about 60 less games.

Archived