The 2013 New York Yankees

isestrex

The Angels are sending a load of cash with Wells to NY. Reports are that the Yankees will only be on the hook for $13 million total, and none of that will count towards the luxury tax reset in 2014. I have a bad feeling that Wells will have one more killer offensive season before heading off into the sunset, single handedly dragging the Yankees into the playoffs this year or the next.

He's raking in spring training. Wouldn't surprise me to see those pinstripes work magic on a has-been yet again.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Angels are sending a load of cash with Wells to NY. Reports are that the Yankees will only be on the hook for $13 million total, and none of that will count towards the luxury tax reset in 2014. I have a bad feeling that Wells will have one more killer offensive season before heading off into the sunset, single handedly dragging the Yankees into the playoffs this year or the next.

Why wouldn't it count against the luxury tax?

From the discussions on BTF there appears to be a loophole or loopholes involving trades where the previous team is paying a large sum of money to the new team. Don't quite understand the subtleties myself, but I certainly agree that unless NY is able to avoid the payroll hit wrt the luxury tax this trade makes zero sense no matter how much the Yankees might need his bat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/weight-wells-contract-crush-yanks-article-1.1298453

That means the Yankees will pay Wells $13 million over the next two years, but some fancy accounting could actually make it so the three-time All-Star doesn't count against the team's luxury tax payroll figure at all in 2014 ? or even better, earn them a credit. Wells' seven-year, $126 million contract carries an average annual value of $18 million, which is the figure that is used by MLB for luxury tax purposes. That figure decreases based on the money being paid by another team, so if the Yankees were to split the $29 million evenly, it would leave them with a $3.5 million tax figure on Wells' deal in each of the two seasons. But according to a source, the Yankees are expected to pay Wells about $12 million in 2013, leaving the Angels to pick up the other $9 million. That means that the Angels would pay $20 million of Wells' $21 million salary next year, not only erasing the entire $18 million luxury tax figure for the Yankees, but adding a $2 million credit.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/weight-wells-contract-crush-yanks-article-1.1298453

That means the Yankees will pay Wells $13 million over the next two years, but some fancy accounting could actually make it so the three-time All-Star doesn't count against the team's luxury tax payroll figure at all in 2014 ? or even better, earn them a credit. Wells' seven-year, $126 million contract carries an average annual value of $18 million, which is the figure that is used by MLB for luxury tax purposes. That figure decreases based on the money being paid by another team, so if the Yankees were to split the $29 million evenly, it would leave them with a $3.5 million tax figure on Wells' deal in each of the two seasons. But according to a source, the Yankees are expected to pay Wells about $12 million in 2013, leaving the Angels to pick up the other $9 million. That means that the Angels would pay $20 million of Wells' $21 million salary next year, not only erasing the entire $18 million luxury tax figure for the Yankees, but adding a $2 million credit.

If this is true then the competition committee should look at it. It stinks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/33988/twenty-seven-reasons-yankees-will-collapse

I wish I could quote this whole article :D But here's the most important part IMO

1. From 2002 to 2011 (10 seasons), 77 teams won at least 90 games. Seventeen of those won at least 15 fewer games the following season -- 22 percent. Six teams dropped 20 or more wins the next season. (Only 11 of the 77 won more games the following year.) Collapses can happen overnight.

This article was basically everything I wish I were eloquent enough to say when I started this thread.

Yankees complete trade for Vernon Wells, Bombers send two minor leaguers to Angels for veteran outfielder

Wells tells reporters that he's 'quietly been a Yankees fan' since he was a 20-year-old minor leaguer and he played against Darryl Strawberry for the first time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/officially-yankee-wells-smile-told-trade-article-1.1299565#ixzz2OgSkZer7

Yankees complete trade for Vernon Wells, Bombers send two minor leaguers to Angels for veteran outfielder

Wells tells reporters that he's 'quietly been a Yankees fan' since he was a 20-year-old minor leaguer and he played against Darryl Strawberry for the first time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/officially-yankee-wells-smile-told-trade-article-1.1299565#ixzz2OgSkZer7

Dont lots of guys say this? They always wanted to be on the Yankees.

Archived