The 2013 New York Yankees

isestrex

So now they will only have $86M to play with? With no closer, 2B, nor a starting rotation (Pettite, Kuroda, Hughes are FA).

That is still more then the O's entire payroll last season. It can be done.

I agree it was a very bad move on their part just saying it doesn't eliminate their chances of getting under the cap next season.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have about that much just committed to ARod (25M), Tex (22.5M), Sabathia (23M). That's 70.5M tied up in three guys. Another 6.5M to Suzuki. That's 77M. The buyout on Jeter's 2014 options is 3M, which brings us up to 80M. Wells would bring us up to 101M. Now, that doesn't include any of the FA's and arbitration eligible guys on the team. Should be interesting.

Yes, I am looking forward to it. I am hoping Jeter still wants to play.

Jeter's salary would only be $8M in 2014.

Actually it had an escalator, I think it is over 10 mil right now.

His player option is worth a base of $8 million, but it could potentially reach as high as $17 million if he reaches certain plateaus at the plate.

I forget what all of them were, but one was a silver slugger and another was 3000 hits.

Actually it had an escalator, I think it is over 10 mil right now.

I forget what all of them were, but one was a silver slugger and another was 3000 hits.

Here are some more. I don't know if he achieved any of these.

• $4 million if he wins an MVP award in 2011, '12 or '13.

• $2 million if he finishes second through sixth in any of those years.

• $1.5 million if he wins a Silver Slugger in any of those years.

• $500,000 if he wins a Gold Glove in any of those years.

• $500,0000 if he wins an LCS MVP award in any of those years.

• $500,000 if he wins a World Series MVP award in any of those years.

What a desperation move if true. Can't see how it is though. Even if the Angels send 42M back it still counts against the Yankees payroll for next year and that's the year they are trying to get under 189M. LOL
This.

This one move will completely undo their entire attempt to get under the luxury tax unless they dump ARod or Tex on someone.

I'm really dumbfounded by this move. I understood their need to get below the threshold but Vernon Well is making $21M bot this year and 2014. It doesn't just scream desperation... it screams looney bin. Like Cashman has actually snapped and is running around the office flapping his arms screaming "I am batman".

They MUST have a financial plan for this somehow that the rest of us aren't seeing.

IMO,they are setting up to sell the team,simple as that. I will say,the trainwreck this year will be more enjoyable because the Yanks won't be able to go out and spend $400 million dollars like they did in 08.

You don't take out expensive, valueless assets in order to sell a team, you do the exact opposite, you have a firesale.

This move makes ZERO sense.....just like Frank Drebin, I LOVE IT!

IMO,they are setting up to sell the team,simple as that. I will say,the trainwreck this year will be more enjoyable because the Yanks won't be able to go out and spend $400 million dollars like they did in 08.

I would be shocked if the Steinbrenner sons sold the Yankees. They may not love it as much as their father did... but they do love money and the Yankees are a golden goose: they poop money.

The Angels are sending a load of cash with Wells to NY. Reports are that the Yankees will only be on the hook for $13 million total, and none of that will count towards the luxury tax reset in 2014. I have a bad feeling that Wells will have one more killer offensive season before heading off into the sunset, single handedly dragging the Yankees into the playoffs this year or the next.

Archived