All purpose NCAA tourney bid thread

Max Power

Since this spilled over into the Good Luck Terp thread I thought we should start something new so markpolis didnt need to read it :)

Nuclear Dish said:

Joe Lunardi doesn't have ND anywhere in sight, not even in his "last Four Out" or his "Next Four Out".

Georgetown was in his "Next Four Out" as 6th overall in line. Indiana was first in line, and VT was 2nd.

I think WVA has secured their ticket with today's win, and Maryland likely falls out.

I'm anxious to see if State can secure their spot with a win right now.

Anyway here is Lunardi's latest from today. I am guessing that this predates Maryland's loss but I dont have insider so I cant tell for sure.

LAST FOUR IN

Maryland

New Mexico

North Carolina State

Kent State

LAST FOUR OUT

Notre Dame

Indiana

Virginia Tech

Vanderbilt

NEXT FOUR OUT

Wichita State

Georgetown

UAB

SW Missouri State

NC St looks ok but with some slip ups it is still very possible for ND to get in. I still think he is nuts for VT but we've discussed that in the other thread. Copy and paste my comments from over there if you want to debate further.

Big games today and tomorrow should figure out who has a chance and who doesnt from this list.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why Tech wasn't in. Essentially there was a four way tie for fourth place. All season long, Tech's worst losses are worse than MD's are. But Maryland's continued slide and regression as a team opens the door for the Hokies. I can't see them beating Ga Tech, but if they do then they're in.

I can see why Tech wasn't in. Essentially there was a four way tie for fourth place. All season long, Tech's worst losses are worse than MD's are. But Maryland's continued slide and regression as a team opens the door for the Hokies. I can't see them beating Ga Tech, but if they do then they're in.

I agree with you that I dont see Va Tech winning tomorrow, but neither Va Tech or Ga Tech have been easy to figure out this year.

Lot of wins today for some bubble teams that didnt seem to have much of a chance at the start of the week. While this doesnt put any of them in the field it does give them a legit shot with another win or two. Among the winners,

Iowa - finishing very strong right now

Buffalo - laugh, but they have a solid RPI and good record

NC St - I think they still need to beat Wake Forest

Iowa St - up and down season

UTEP - I think they get in if they make the WAC finals

UAB - 10-2 to close the game and win, they won some games last year which helps them

Some more interesting games tonight including UCLA, Texas A&M, New Mexico, Vandy, and Kent St.

Lot of wins today for some bubble teams that didnt seem to have much of a chance at the start of the week. While this doesnt put any of them in the field it does give them a legit shot with another win or two. Among the winners,

Iowa - finishing very strong right now

Buffalo - laugh, but they have a solid RPI and good record

NC St - I think they still need to beat Wake Forest

Iowa St - up and down season

UTEP - I think they get in if they make the WAC finals

UAB - 10-2 to close the game and win, they won some games last year which helps them

Some more interesting games tonight including UCLA, Texas A&M, New Mexico, Vandy, and Kent St.

UCLA is in right now.

UTEP is in if they get to the WAC Finals against Utah. Three teams from the WAC don't go though. Pac 10 is still pretty weak, I wouldn't assume more than UW and Arizona.

St. Marys has to be a lock. HAS to be.

Buffalo? Nah, sorry, no shot unless they win the MAC.

NC State takes the bid Maryland has been giving away the last three weeks.

Maryland [16-12 (7-9), RPI: 50, SOS: 8] Terps found disaster scenario by losing for third time this season to Clemson in ACC opening round. Some experts say Terps still have a chance, but can't see it with four straight losses to end the season, a decaying RPI and, despite a sweep of Duke, a soon-to-be 5-11 record against the RPI Top 100 (after Clemson enters tomorrow).

Is that Lunardi saying that?

I honestly can't understand why anyone would PREFER to get into the NIT over the NCAAs, even with our dreadful record and recent lack of success. You always want your team to get to the big-time. That's what being a fan is all about. You can call it naivety, but I still hope that the rest of the bubble teams lose and by some miracle we get in - and I do think there's still a chance of that happening. That's what every Terp fan should hope for - not be embarrassed if we get in, or hope we just go to the "second tier" championship and lose. I can't see how you can be a supporter and lose faith this easily.

Look, NO WAY do I want the Not Interested Tourney. I'm still depressed that it's gotten this bad. I want IN the tourney. I want to have earned it. I'll gladly take another berth. But if they got in, I'd feel like I'm wearing jeans and a tee shirt to a fancy restaurant. I'd be somewhat embarassed it happened, but happy to be eating with the big wigs.

Archived