All purpose NCAA tourney bid thread

Max Power

It's not funny, they went 7-9 against a much tougher schedule, so regardless of what team your talking about it's obvious that your record will improve when your schedule becomes much easier. That's common sense.

And you didn't acknowledge that your alleged great Pierce point was incorrect.

And it's also funny that you actually used two close loses to Illinois as an argument for Iowa while saying on another thread that Illinois is very overrated.

Overrated or not, they are still #1 in the country and have been for most of the year. And my Pierce point is not incorrect. While you are right that they do not have him back, i still believe the committee takes that into consideration. As i said, i think that it effected their seeding but not enough to keep them out of the tourney.

And it is funny. MD played to the level of their competition all year, so you have no idea how they would have done. They should have won 9 or 10 games in this conference but they played like a JV team for alot of the year.

They had a poor road record, finished the season poorly and had very few marquis wins.

Iowa finished better and better marquis wins. Period. No denying that.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overrated or not, they are still #1 in the country and have been for most of the year. And my Pierce point is not incorrect. While you are right that they do not have him back, i still believe the committee takes that into consideration. As i said, i think that it effected their seeding but not enough to keep them out of the tourney.

And it is funny. MD played to the level of their competition all year, so you have no idea how they would have done. They should have won 9 or 10 games in this conference but they played like a JV team for alot of the year.

They had a poor road record, finished the season poorly and had very few marquis wins.

Iowa finished better and better marquis wins. Period. No denying that.

Yes the committee does take into account, in a negative way.

Simple statement: If a team goes 7-9 playing a hard schedule, they will do better than 7-9 playing an easy schedule. If you want to say that is funny than I don't know what's happened to you. Go to the doctor, I hope your ok.

Speaking of road records, who did Iowa beat on the road in the Big Ten? Penn St and Michigan, that's it. Two awful teams. And who did they beat out of conference on the road? The answer to that is no one!!!!!!!!!!! So don't use MD's road record against them in this argument. At least MD beat Duke on the road.

Marquee wins: Iowa: Louisville, Texas, Texas Tech, Minn all with Pierce. Without him: Mich St.

MD: Memphis, GTech, Duke twice.

So Iowa didn't beat anyone close to Duke and their only real good win without Pierce is Mich St which compares to beating GTech.

The only good argument for Iowa over MD is the finish. However, if MD got to play Penn St, Michigan, and Purdue 3 out of their last 4 regular season games, along with Ohio St at home, we wouldn't be talking about how bad they finished.

The only good argument for Iowa over MD is the finish. However, if MD got to play Penn St, Michigan, and Purdue 3 out of their last 4 regular season games, along with Ohio St at home, we wouldn't be talking about how bad they finished.

I disagree with this. Ohio St. is very comparable to Va. Tech, and Michigan is fairly comparable to Clemson.

MD blew every chance they got, and they just didn't deserve to get in. Period. It's not a matter of whether they deserved to get in over Iowa. They just plain didn't belong.

Now, once that's been established, who is the best option to put in to an open slot? Oh, Iowa is available? OK, let's go with them.

I disagree with this. Ohio St. is very comparable to Va. Tech, and Michigan is fairly comparable to Clemson.

MD blew every chance they got, and they just didn't deserve to get in. Period. It's not a matter of whether they deserved to get in over Iowa. They just plain didn't belong.

Now, once that's been established, who is the best option to put in to an open slot? Oh, Iowa is available? OK, let's go with them.

MD didn't deserve it, but neither did Lowa, I would be more content with Miami(OH) or Buffalo making it.

Ohio St is comparable to VaTech, but Michigan isn't even close to Clemson or Virginia. Especially after they lost one of their best players.

BTW, just to throw a little wrench into this, I will say that the Chair of the committe is the AD of a bubble team that got in and another committee member was the AD of another bubble team.

The chair is from Iowa, the other committee member from N. Iowa. Hmmmm....

BTW, just to throw a little wrench into this, I will say that the Chair of the committe is the AD of a bubble team that got in and another committee member was the AD of another bubble team.

The chair is from Iowa, the other committee member from N. Iowa. Hmmmm....

When voting is done or discussion is done on a team from a committe members conference then that committee member has to leave the room while that discussion is had. They also don't get to vote when it comes to that team and cannot be present when the voting is done.

I do agree with your earlier post that Buffalo or Miami (OH) got hosed, but I don't think MD did. They didn't do enough to warrent a bid to the tournament.

GO WVU!!

When voting is done or discussion is done on a team from a committe members conference then that committee member has to leave the room while that discussion is had. They also don't get to vote when it comes to that team and cannot be present when the voting is done.

I do agree with your earlier post that Buffalo or Miami (OH) got hosed, but I don't think MD did. They didn't do enough to warrent a bid to the tournament.

GO WVU!!

Well the Iowa guys might of had each other's back. Plus they still get to rip on the other bubble teams all they like. And being the chair of the committee has to have some influence. When he comes back after they talk about his team do you think anyone wants to tell the guy his team isn't in? But I was just throwing that out there, not sure if it mattered. I don't think those teams deserve it though.

ACC 5-0 through round 1, including fairly convincing wins by the two lower seeds (GT and State). You think maybe this league should've got a 6th bid?

No the Big Ten is clearly just as deserving. :rolleyes:

Great win for WV and the Big East, as they send Wake Forest to yet another tourney flame-out. I think WF has taken Maryland's place (pre-2001) as the biggest tournament choker.

I only got to see the beginning and end of the game -- is there a reason why some guys named Joyce and Feather were playing at the end of the game instead of Visser and Danelius?

Great win for WV and the Big East, as they send Wake Forest to yet another tourney flame-out. I think WF has taken Maryland's place (pre-2001) as the biggest tournament choker.

I only got to see the beginning and end of the game -- is there a reason why some guys named Joyce and Feather were playing at the end of the game instead of Visser and Danelius?

WVU WVU WVU WVU WVU WVU WVU WVU!!!!!!

HUGE WIN!!!!!!! BIG EAST BABY!!!! BIG EAST!!!!!

All year Wake Played no defense, and it cost them against a briliantly coached team. West Virginia seemed to have a confidence that Wake didnt down the stretch. Great season for the Deacs, and a shame to see them lose.

Archived