Wieters Comes Into His Own

Il BuonO

There's a picture taken from a game during a 17 inning affair last year at Fenway Park. The Oriole catcher has been knocked down and sits knowingly, holding the ball in his catchers mitt. He doesn't show it to the umpire, although the umpire can clearly see he has it, he shows it to the opposing player smiling as he does so. Almost as if to say, "Were you expecting me to drop this?"

Matt Wieters exudes that same confidence behind the plate when he's calling a game or just standing there. The Oriole pitching staff gives him free reign to call whatever pitches he sees fit no matter who takes the mound. He's steadily made a progression defensively since being called up in 2009. So much so that he's won two consecutive Gold Glove awards. He was arguably better in 2011 when he had no errors before the AS break. That's right. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. He actually did have a slightly higher percentage of runners thrown out last year(39% in 2012 to 37% in 2011).

Some analysts have said this might be the year Wieters breaks out. This years after being labeled a "bust". Well, I guess everything comes around.

If Opening Day in 2013 is any indicator then Matt Wieters won't be disappointing the prognosticators or baseball fans around the country for that matter.

He started off the game by absolutely tattooing a David Price offering well into the left centerfield seats on a pitch left up by Cy Young winner David Price. Matt Wieters is not impressed.

The at bat that stood out for me was in the third inning. Wieters worked Price for a walk with one out that loaded the bases. Within that at bat he looked to have as much confidence as I have seen him have as he does when he is wearing the gear. One pitch in particular, the count was 2-2, and Price threw a beautiful pitch down and in. A pitchers pitch. Wieters didn't budge and the pitch dipped inside and low off the plate. I can't count how many times I've seen hitters swing at that pitch and they never see it end up where they expected to be. He showed great patience throughout the at bat and fouled off countless difficult pitches finally winning the battle.

I stood up out of my chair. "Yeah!" I bellowed, startling my 11 year old daughter who had been following some of the action in between playing with her cats. "Dad!" "Sorry, honey. Great at bat right there. You're missing it."

I can't remember getting so excited about a base on balls before, but something else occurred to me after that at bat and the ones that followed for Wieters. The double especially because with that he had three excellent plate appearances and looked comfortable. Comfortable? Against David Price? Maybe that's not right. No, he looked like there wasn't a pitch for which he wasn't ready.

And I have seen Matt Wieters get hot before but maybe we're seeing something else this year. Some Orioles fans have said "hellfire will be unleashed" referring to Wieters this year. That says it pretty well.

Maybe this year Matt Wieters comes into his own.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I said hellfire will be unleashed, but I also know I am not an analyst. Never the less this is his year.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/130987-Dave-Cameron-confirms-unleashing-of-hellfire

This is from an OP by Sr. Meow Meow. So, I had wrongly attributed it to Cameron(it's since been changed). I am almost certain it is where I saw the phrase first used.

Great post, and I agree yesterday felt, well, different than merely one of Matt's hot streaks. But he'll still have to prove it over 162 games.

One correction, though: Matt made 5 errors in 2011. All after the all star break, if I recall.

"Yeah!" I bellowed, startling my 11 year old daughter

Ha ha ha...I do this to my two girls constantly.

Great win yesterday, and I think Wieters is going to put it all together offensively this season.

Palmer made a good point yesterday during the broadcast when he talked about how the O's have a top-2 or 3 player in the AL at a couple of positions, which is very different than a few years ago.

Great post, and I agree yesterday felt, well, different than merely one of Matt's hot streaks. But he'll still have to prove it over 162 games.

One correction, though: Matt made 5 errors in 2011. All after the all star break, if I recall.

Yep, thanks. Looked at the wrong line in BBRef.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/130987-Dave-Cameron-confirms-unleashing-of-hellfire

This is from an OP by Sr. Meow Meow. So, I had wrongly attributed it to Cameron(it's since been changed). I am almost certain it is where I saw the phrase first used.

KLaw first used it. I think he predicted that in 2011 Wieters would unleash hellfire on the AL East. Folks were using the quote as a sig back when we were allowed sigs.

I found and posted a nice hellfire gif that I might use in game threads when he homers.

KLaw first used it. I think he predicted that in 2011 Wieters would unleash hellfire on the AL East. Folks were using the quote as a sig back when we were allowed sigs.

I found and posted a nice hellfire gif that I might use in game threads when he homers.

Figures. I should have left it alone. I had edited the word "analyst" after not finding anything linking it to Cameron's article.

Archived