Wieters Comes Into His Own

Il BuonO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Socalbird...I watching the game from the other side of the country as you (Vermont) yesterday...same pitch 2-2 to Weiters and I had the same exact reaction... I popped out of my chair with some "loud sound" coming out of me. Not even sure what it was. It wasn't a monster home run or an amazing catch. It was a "take" on a 2-2 count that sent my cats scurrying and startled my wife. She was half watching with me and half locked into her Jodi Arias trial when I jumped and grunted...That pitch for the last 15 years results in a swing an miss or weak double play ball back to the pitcher. That pitch was almost as exciting as Jones laser to plate two runs...Incredible AB by Weiters that ran up the pitch count and finally made Price look less "Koufax-ish" against us.

There's a picture taken from a game during a 17 inning affair last year at Fenway Park. The Oriole catcher has been knocked down and sits knowingly, holding the ball in his catchers mitt. He doesn't show it to the umpire, although the umpire can clearly see he has it, he shows it to the opposing player smiling as he does so. Almost as if to say, "Were you expecting me to drop this?"

I spent a little time last summer turning this picture into an old 1991 TSC baseball card for S&Gs.

mattwieters1991sccard.png

Matt looks like Hellfire right handed. Tomorrow we'll know more.

I don't know how much more we'll know after one game. I was talking about his whole approach at the plate.

That's what I was thinking. Let's see how much we think this after he faces a few righties

This was my concern with him last year, but if you look at his career it hasn't always been so. He started out raking from the left side for the first two years and then in the last two he's been stronger from the right side. 100 points higher OPS as a RHB and a .402 SLG PCT. as a LHB compared to .478 as a RHB.

When Matt is fresh he is a darn good hitter. June, July and August in the heat he catches too many games to maintain good hitting. Matt plays in 87 degree average heat in Baltimore during the summer. Posey plays in 68 degree average temperatures in SF during the summer. It a big difference.

"Cold winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco." - Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

I went back and read my OP and calling a game I'm not happy with, but I can't hang that entirely on him. That look he gets, though, you saw it after he threw an absolute laser to Hardy to nail Jennings.

He said something to the ump, too. I would have paid to hear what that was. And a few good swings from the left side takes care of the detractors pretty quick.

He's defensive gold when it comes to stopping the running game. Even if he doesn't turn out to be an MVP were alright behind the plate.

Archived