Wieters Comes Into His Own

Il BuonO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump.

Probably not going to be an MVP candidate anytime soon but if he finishes strong with the bat for us it would be huge.

Matt would have to do it over a long stretch to convince me. To me he is a good defensive catcher that's a .240 ish hitter with 20 homer power until proven otherwise.

Bump.

Probably not going to be an MVP candidate anytime soon but if he finishes strong with the bat for us it would be huge.

I love this place. We're always a one-week hot streak from turning "I'd be better with Chris Snyder and Taylor Teagarden taking most of his ABs" into "probably not going to be an MVP candidate... but he's huge."

I love this place. We're always a one-week hot streak from turning "I'd be better with Chris Snyder and Taylor Teagarden taking most of his ABs" into "probably not going to be an MVP candidate... but he's huge."
Yeah, it was more a reference to all that had been said about him in this thread at the START of the year, but thanks for playing.

Maybe go back and read the thread. It includes an article by Posnanski.

Yep, Wieters is streaky, like a lot of guys. His swing looks really good right now. Ride the wave!

It is all about timing with him. He has a long stride up and down. When he is going well he has his foot right on key with the bat comming threw the zone. IF not he gets ahead or behind and has a loopy swing which causes him to roll over a bunch or if he early pop ups to left and short.

• 8 months later...

Bump

Well, he started off hot last year, too. Can he sustain it? Does the fact that he's closer to FA matter? I doubt it. He is what he is at this point and any offense we get from him is gravy. I'm not sure if he had success that we'd be able to afford him anyway, but it would be nice to see it happen on a contending team.

If anything, perhaps he sees his FA year quickly approaching and is trying to turn it on.

Did you see how pissed he was in his last at bat on Monday? He flied out to center on a fastball down the middle and made an very audible and obvious yell of disgust.

I am well beyond the point of getting excited by a hot week in April from Matt Wieters. He had an .826 OPS in March/April 2011, .937 in March/April 2012. I have a higher opinion of Matt's overall contributions to this team than many posters around here, but I'm not expecting any dramatic improvement from him as a hitter. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Glad to see Matt start off hot. Clearly a good start is better than a bad one. What I am interested to see from Matt before the O's sink big money into him is one season were he is a consistent offensive force while maintaining his defensive prowess.

His numbers since last July give me hope that maybe its clicking and he will raise his offensive game to the next level. With that in mind though my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by the fact that its still only 7 games in and if after say 30 games he is hitting .218 ....well I am figuring a lot of people will be saying very different things...rightfully so. Its early so lets see how it plays out but remain cautiously optimistic

Archived