Everyone has off nights, bounce back tomorrow, Buck

MachadOboutManny

Of course you do. The shift that got Markakis was not as extreme as Buck's. If you are using data from the previous year for your shifts, they may not be quite the same this early in the season. Bats may not be quite as quick, pitchers are not necessarily hitting spots.

Now THAT is over-analyzing. Do you have some data on bats not being as quick in April? Chris Davis' bat is looking pretty quick.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mind Manny hitting there so much as having the shift on with Strop pumping 96mph heat to a lefty.

Someone must've missed a signal.

I don't like it with a man on base, with no one on base it makes sense. Johnson might have a different approach with no one on base. The Orioles know what Strop has and it isn't like you want him only to use the inside part of the plate. We also have to give credit to Johnson for not rolling over on the ball.

Really? I just checked the Manny AB in the 9th. No one first guessed that he shouldn't hit. Not one post before he made the out. A lot afterwards.

Most.. I don't know if I posted before Manny made an out or not but I know I would have pinch hit Casilla there since Casilla was 4-for-7 off Rodney and Machado is not at a point in his career where he deserves to hit in that situation if a better option exists. Regardless, we totally agree with each other here. The game thread is not a good place for you or anyone else who doesn't understand the ebb and flow and emotions of the fans during a game. Most people find them fun and they like to second guess the manager. It's a good place to keep all of that so it doesn't spin off into 10 different posts on the main board.

Just about every move or non-move Buck made tonight backfired. It happens. We'll get them tomorrow.

Dempsey has already proclaimed Davis will be the toughest out in the majors this year. I remember he said Nolan Reimold will hit 50 home runs last year after his hot start.

Hahaha, I heard that. Made me chuckle a bit. Davis is looking pretty darn good, but he has a long way to go before he's the toughest out in the majors. Dempsey loves his hyperbole, doesn't he. :D

He will win more for us than he loses, things just worked against him tonight. He and Joe Madden going at it is always fun to watch, Joe got the better of this one and stole it from us. I'd take Buck over anyone. We all know Buck is looking at this games and figuring out ways he can improve how he manages this team. Just one of those nights really.

As you noted, when Hunter came back out in the 9th, I think a lot of us were scared of the HR. Sure enough, a flat, high, slow (compared to his first inning) FB is annihilated. We had arms and we were given new life and Buck rolled the dice when he didnt have to. Tommy Hunter has an inning of electric stuff, he does not have two.

People have tough nights as Posters on the forums lol, Buck had a bad one and I hate it for him more than anyone because he wont sleep tonight. Its amazing that with a huge strike zone, so many runs didnt net us a win @ TB. It was great to see Roberts, again, with a late game clutch hit. One of my all time favorites. Roberts with opposite field doubles .... it used to seem like he hit them every single night. As he gets comfortable, Im sure Buck will adjust the lineup and let Manny go back down and gain some experience with less pressure to produce/move runners. Thats not something Manny is ready for, but we have guys who can do it and Buck will sort it out.

It honestly was an entertaining game. We just came up on the short end. The guys will be ready tomorrow night to get the series win!

Yeah, Buck had a bad one tonight. He either over managed or under managed, but in the end, pretty much everything he did or didn't do back fired tonight. It happens. Glad to see the offense have quality at bats. Terrible night by the bullpen of course, but what in the world is Tommy Hunter doing pitching in a tie game in the 9th? With his penchant to give up the long ball, he should never be in a tie or one-run game in the 9th or later unless he's the only option. Not a good choice by Buck, but like we said, it was a tough game for Buck tonight.

Why not Matusz against Joyce in that situation if you want to save Jim Johnson? Bounce back tomorrow O's!

Why not Matusz against Joyce in that situation if you want to save Jim Johnson? Bounce back tomorrow O's!

With the game tied in the ninth, I think you have to start preparing for the possibility of the game going several more innings. You probably don't want to go too matchup-crazy at that point. Hunter only threw 8 pitches in the 8th. He was throwing hard, throwing well. I could see a scenario where Hunter goes three innings if necessary, saving the pen for a few days.

I didn't get to watch the game, but this is what I was coming on here to post.

Matusz proved last year that he is best used to get one or two of a team's tough left-handed hitters out during the most crucial time of a game.

I thought he should have been used in the 7th to face Joyce (a pinch hitter at the time) and Kelly Johnson, but he probably wasn't warmed up.

Then, I definitely think he should have been used in the bottom of the 9th.

He had a fresh Matusz. I'm taking my chances with Matusz in the 9th then a second inning of Hunter, but maybe Buck was trying something out there. Either way, I hope he learned his lesson. Hunter is not be trusted with a tie or one run leads late in games.

He had a fresh Matusz. I'm taking my chances with Matusz in the 9th then a second inning of Hunter, but maybe Buck was trying something out there. Either way, I hope he learned his lesson. Hunter is not be trusted with a tie or one run leads late in games.

Or, apparently, for a second inning.

Archived