Tommy Hunter Today, 2013

OFFNY

Hunter can give us 2 quality innings out of the bullpen if needed. That is pretty freaking valuable and I wouldn't want to lose that on the slim chance if we stretch him out, he can continue to throw fireballs for 6/7 innings.

I don't like Garcia any more than anyone else, but with Chen coming back soon and Wada or maybe even Mike Wright a potential call up, attempting to stretch hunter out at this point in the season is a huge risk.

Our bullpen has been shaky enough lately with Patton sucking, Johnson and strop on the DL and Johnson's recent struggles, although he's getting better.

Hunter has been lights out lately so taking him out of the pen just makes it that much worse which we can ill afford right now. He's been filthy lately though and it's a pleasure to watch.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOMMY HUNTER O (vs. D-RAYS, 6/09)

IP:. 1 *

H:o 2

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 2

Pitches: 23 (15 Strikes, 8 Balls)

2013 ERA: 1.85

* Hunter entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and two outs.

Not awesome results, but really good looking stuff today. Curveballs, changeup (including a right on right), cutter that looked like a nasty slider. Tommy can pitch.

Yep, and if weren't for the save rule he would have finished up.

Yep, and if weren't for the save rule he would have finished up.

And gotten a save himself. He entered the game with 2 outs in the 8th inning, and the tying run on deck.

It would have been his second save this season (and of his career.)

Not a perfect outing, but nice to see him throwing off speed pitches as the first pitch. Could be a closer at some point.

When you realize Johnson is more expensive and Hunter can do the same job for a third of the cost, yes. They'll both be due raises next year, but when you figure in the save totals that Johnson has been racking up then Hunter will be the better option.

I thought that Hunter was squeezed on the plate appearance to Trout, particularly the very first pitch.

He threw all strikes to the 4 batters that he faced that he didn't walk.

TOMMY HUNTER O (vs. ANGELS, 6/10)

IP:. 1

H:o 1

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 28 (20 Strikes, 8 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.06

TOMMY HUNTER O (vs. D-RAYS, 6/09)

IP:. 1 *

H:o 2

BB: 0

SO: 2

Pitches: 23 (15 Strikes, 8 Balls)

2013 ERA: 1.85

* Hunter entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and two outs.

He did get squeezed and neither of the balls hit were scalded.

Not worried about TH.

TH's transformation has been remarkable. 2+ innings, 20 pitches or so. It goes to show you. Here was HR Tommy, pitch to contact Tommy to a pretty dominant presence on the mound. 97, 98 and a nice breaking pitch. Many players never find their niche, TH has. They gave star of the game to Davis (really???, he's looking a litttle lost), to me Hunter was the most impressive and star.

TH's transformation has been remarkable. 2+ innings, 20 pitches or so. It goes to show you. Here was HR Tommy, pitch to contact Tommy to a pretty dominant presence on the mound. 97, 98 and a nice breaking pitch. Many players never find their niche, TH has. They gave star of the game to Davis (really???, he's looking a litttle lost), to me Hunter was the most impressive and star.

Maybe they should have just given the star of the game to McPhail and called it a day.

Archived