Tommy Hunter Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's 8 consecutive scoreless outings for Tommy Hunter.

These 7, plus today:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/29198/tommy-hunter

TOMMY HUNTER O (vs. ROYALS, 5/07)

IP:. 1.33 O(WIN)

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 12 (7 Strikes, 5 Balls)

2013 ERA: 1.69

I had said in another thread Tommy "Top Gun" Hunter, but with 8 consecutive scoreless outings maybe Shutdown Tommy. I really don't care about the nickname, as long as he throws strikes and mixes pitches I'm always going to believe he's a better option than Strop. Command is huge.

Basically. Or Wieters is getting smarter with Tommy. Either way, when you can huff it up there at 97-100, anything 90 and below is going to be so much more effective.

Yeah that's a great point. But one thing I noticed tonight was he really took some mph (88) off that cutter tonight and it pretty much replicated a slider. Just much better than a 93 mph cutterwith little movement and little speed differential.

Yeah that's a great point. But one thing I noticed tonight was he really took some mph (88) off that cutter tonight and it pretty much replicated a slider. Just much better than a 93 mph cutterwith little movement and little speed differential.

In fact, if I recall the announcers referred to it at one point as "cutter-uh-slider". You don't usually see sliders at 88-89, but it had way more movement than your typical cutter. Big pitch to strike out their big boy Billy Butler.

And maybe the most important thing Hunter did was save O'Day's arm. The O's needed someone to step up as the 3rd guy in the bullpen, and he should fill that role for the rest of the season, imo.

Hunter's been fun to watch lately. Seems like he and Matt have finally arrived at a nice place visa vis pitch selection. I've been a bit nervous about the bullpen arms of late (Strop's wildness, O'Day's over-use), and it's starting to look like Tommy's a guy that can succeed in any role - short or long, early or late. Hope it continues!

29 other teams would love that arm.

I would say mayber 20 teams would love to have our entire bullpen.

Also, I'm guessing because we have so much depth in the bullpen I had a dream last night we traded O'Day for Chase Headley so take it for what is worth. An omen maybe? :)

I guess the people who thought that we should have gotten rid of Hunter instead of Ayala are quiet. Hunter is the same age as Arrieta and a year younger then Strop. I think Teagarden got him throwing more of his other pitches because he worked with him before in Texas.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131702-Tommy-Hunter-nickname-poll

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131702-Tommy-Hunter-nickname-poll/page7

That's 9 consecutive scoreless outings for Tommy Hunter.

TOMMY HUNTER O (vs. TWINS, 5/10)

IP:. 2.33 O(WIN) *

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 36 (21 Strikes, 15 Balls)

2013 ERA: 1.47

* Hunter entered the game with a runner on 2nd base and two outs.

Archived