ERIK BEDARD O (vs. D-RAYS, 7/02)

IP:O 5.33

H:o. 6

R:O. 4

BB:. 6

SO:. 3

Pitches: 95 (54 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.59

And just like the game against Milwaukee on June 19th, he left a man on base and the relief pitcher (Josh Fields this time) gave up a home run to the next batter. But yeah, 6 walks (a career high for Erik) are bad.

A 3-run home run in the first inning, then 1 more earned run the rest of the way.

6.33 innings, 4 earned runs. He might have gone 7 innings if not for the error that led to the unearned run in the 5th.

5 walks is very high, though.

ERIK BEDARD O (vs. RANGERS, 7/07)

IP:O 6.33

H:o. 5

R:O. 5

ER:) 4

BB:. 5

SO:. 4

Pitches: 104 (61 Strikes, 43 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.67

Well, I'll admit it. Looks like I was wrong about him. Just when he had strung together quite a few good games, back to back clunkers. The walks are alarming for a guy who has always had good command. Feldman was a much better pickup since we already have too many guys with command issues.

• 2 weeks later...

6th inning:

1. Mike Zunino strikes out swinging.

2.Michael Saunders walks.

3.Brad Miller walks. Michael Saunders to 2nd.

With Nick Franklin batting, passed ball by Jason Castro, Michael Saunders to 3rd. Brad Miller to 2nd.

4.Nick Franklin out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Brandon Barnes. Michael Saunders scores. Brad Miller to 3rd.

On-field Delay.

With Raul Ibanez batting, passed ball by Jason Castro, Brad Miller scores.

5.Raul Ibanez walks.

6.Kendrys Morales lines out to right fielder Justin Maxwell.

He gave up a walk in the 7th before leaving and the runner came around to score later in the inning.

Burying the lead, aren't we? Bedard had a no-hitter when he left the game.

No, I didn't "bury" it.

I also didn't mention the fact that he had a no-hitter when he left.

He pitched one out into the 7th inning, and gave up 1 earned run, and 2 unearned runs.

In almost all of my previous posts in almost every pitcher's thread (Bedard's and everyone else's), I always focus on the earned runs more so than the overall runs, regardless of the circumstances.

And I always post the results, no matter how bad or how good they are.

No, I didn't "bury" it.

I also didn't mention the fact that he had a no-hitter when he left.

He pitched one out into the 7th inning, and gave up 1 earned run, and 2 unearned runs.

In almost all of my previous posts in almost every pitcher's thread (Bedard's and everyone else's), I always focus on the earned runs more so than the overall runs, regardless of the circumstances.

And I always post the results, no matter how bad or how good they are.

That's what "burying the lead" means. Not mentioning that a guy pitched 6.1 no-hit innings, and instead focusing only on earned runs, is missing the important story. Thus, burying the lead.

That's what "burying the lead" means. Not mentioning that a guy pitched 6.1 no-hit innings, and instead focusing only on earned runs, is missing the important story. Thus, burying the lead.

The no-hit bid isn't really an important story when you almost manage a WHIP of 1.00 because you give up 5 BBs and still manage to take the loss.

I didn't miss the important story. I posted about Bedard being in the process of the no-hitter several times on the Orioles/Rangers game thread.

I like Bedard a lot, and I didn't want to make it look like I was championing his 6.33 no-hit innings, and/or hiding the fact that his team was losing by a score of 3-2 when he left, so I just posted his numbers, and commented accordingly that he pitched a good (but not great) game.

I'm sure that the other posters could/can sift through it all on their own, and make of it what they want to. :)

"Burying the lead" is a journalistic technical term. In journalism you want the part of the story most readers will want to read about at the top of the story with the less important stuff afterwards.

If someone was writing a sports article for the Baltimore Sun or The Washington Post or SI or something, you would want the no-hit bid to be at the top of the story.

Of course, this isn't a sports page. So, take it as you will...

Archived