Erik Bedard, 2013

sfosfan

Because. Look around baseball at what his peers are saying. You don't ask out of a no-hitter. He gave up the runs after he left.. why not just give them up yourself and THEN be done. At least allow a hit first.

He gave up his THIRD run after he left. They already had two on the board before that inning started.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9496985/houston-astros-manager-defends-erik-bedard-choice-leave-no-hitter

Removed himself from the no-hitter. Of course he did. Because he's Erik Bedard, and that's what he does.

As soon as someone mentioned the no-hitter in the game thread, I immediately thought, "not gonna happen because he'll ask out by the 7th or 8th at the latest". And that's exactly what he did.

Here's a guy who views baseball as a day job, not as something he loves to do. He's good at it, he protects his (fragile) health, and he's not going to give you more than 7 innings most nights because by that point he's "done enough", so screw you.

You want to know why the O's would never trade for Bedard again or sign him as a free agent? Here's why. That ain't a nugget, folks.

I don't know how to answer this. Porter was going to take him out at 120 anyway.

I mean, he's the only pitcher I can think of that actually informs the manager that he's done. And for some reason, no manager has yet to say "like hell you are" and send him back out there.

Personally I would rather have the pitcher be honest with me then lie to my face, stay in the game, and get lit up.

I put winning above bravado.

My guess is other pitchers do it as well but for some reason (probably the media's dislike of him) it has only been mentioned about Bedard.

1. Bedard last pitched here in 2007. He has spent more time pitching for other teams than he spent as an Oriole. So why is this thread on the Orioles board, especially when there already is a thread on the MLB board?

2. Bedard had already thrown 109 pitches through 6.1 innings. He was toast, and he wasn't going to get through 9 IP in any event.

3. In Bedard's last year here, he won 15 games. No Oriole pitcher has won more than 12 since then. I'm hoping Tillman can win more than 15 this year. But no Oriole pitcher will throw 6.5 IP/start this year, as Bedard did in 2007.

Did Milacki act like a douche to reporters/fans/teammates and ask out of every game he's ever pitched in the bigs? No.

Maybe reporters should stop asking stupid/cliched questions. Maybe he just expects more. As CoC said, I'd rather a guy be honest when he's done, so we can figure out the best way to go forward and win the game.

Did Milacki act like a douche to reporters/fans/teammates and ask out of every game he's ever pitched in the bigs? No.

I have never heard of Bedard acting badly with teammates. The media yeah but not teammates. BTW he has as many complete games (career) as the O's pitching staff does for 2012-2013 combined.

Maybe reporters should stop asking stupid/cliched questions. Maybe he just expects more. As CoC said, I'd rather a guy be honest when he's done, so we can figure out the best way to go forward and win the game.

Bedard is d-bag. It had nothing to do with "stupid" reporter questions. The guy is a heartless tinman and every time something goes bad for him I have to laugh a little. Thankfully, Showalter does not allow guys like this in his clubhouse. Respect for the media is respect for the fans and Bedard has little for either.

Bedard is d-bag. It had nothing to do with "stupid" reporter questions. The guy is a heartless tinman and every time something goes bad on him I have to laugh a little. Thankfully, Showalter does not allow guys like this in his clubhouse. Respect for the media is respect for the fans and Bedard has little for either.

I like a guy who calls the media out on stupid questions. He wants them to put a little thought into their work, since he clearly does the same with his work.

I like a guy who calls the media out on stupid questions. He wants them to put a little thought into their work, since he clearly does the same with his work.

This said, he clearly wouldn't fit in on this team, especially with Buck. Still I've always like the guy.

1. Bedard last pitched here in 2007. He has spent more time pitching for other teams than he spent as an Oriole. So why is this thread on the Orioles board, especially when there already is a thread on the MLB board?

2. Bedard had already thrown 109 pitches through 6.1 innings. He was toast, and he wasn't going to get through 9 IP in any event.

3. In Bedard's last year here, he won 15 games. No Oriole pitcher has won more than 12 since then. I'm hoping Tillman can win more than 15 this year. But no Oriole pitcher will throw 6.5 IP/start this year, as Bedard did in 2007.

Thank you Frank, on the merge request/redirection of the thread.

And, good overall post.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407853#gameType='R'?ionType=career&statType=2&season=2013&level='ALL'

Another nice line yesterday:

Houston IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Bedard 4.0 1 0 0 2 3 0 0.00

He's 34, so who knows how many Erik is going to get, but I love Houston for taking a chance on him. It's early no doubt, but if Erik keeps this up it will be hard to NOT give him comeback player of the year award.

On another note, Erik's 2007 season was simply awesome. Does anyone see a Baltimore pitcher who could duplicate that now or in the immediate future (aka, Bundy, Gausman? I'd like to say yes, but I can't.

sfosfan

Unfortunately, your otherwise very good thread inherited the wind (a one-star rating, due to another thread being started in a different section, and then being merged with this one.) :(

Unfortunately, your otherwise very good thread inherited the wind (a one-star rating, due to another thread being started in a different section, and then being merged with this one.) :(

Sorry folks but I would rather 1 star a thread for being redundant then neg rep the poster.

On Bedard, Curt Schilling said Bedard is a career under achiever and a career under performer. Said the guy should have been competing for Cy Young's with the stuff he has. He commended him for 10 yrs in the big's, but said he played with guys like this and wouldnt want him in his clubhouse.

This was Schilling talking to Colin Cowherd just now.

Archived