HHP: Who's Chris Dickerson? - Pretty Nice Guy

BoltonBob

Met Chris during ST wearing number 60, entering a lot of games with guys wearing numbers 80-95 (without names on back.) Dickerson (born April 10, 1982....Regan and Thrasher were world leaders, inflation was down from 11% to 6%, gas was $1.20 a gallon, unemployment was 7.6%, Fed budget was $745 billion, deficit just went to 1 trillion, etc)...... is starting tonight in right against the BoSox, after signing a minor league deal this offseason. He has also played for the Reds who drafted him, Brewers, and New York Yankees, who also drafted him out of HS. Born in Hollywood Ca, he played college baseball for the Nevada Wolf Pack University of Nevada, Reno, 2001-2003. He made his major league debut with the Reds on Aug. 12, 2008. He hit his first career home run on Aug. 15, 2008, against the St. Louis Cardinals. In 2009, after Griffey and Dunn left the Reds he started in the outfield.

He really wanted to sign w/New York out of HS, but parents nixed that. He said, "My mom's side of the family is from NY, my grandfather was a NYPD detective for 30 years. My mom was born in Brooklyn and my grandfather took me to my first Yankee game when I was 6, and went every summer I came to visit. They lived in Queens, and no, we never bothered to go see the Mets."

On Spring Training and Buck, "True player's manager. Dead serious, intense, a wealth of baseball knowledge. Plus, he's willing to think outside the box and is quite the comedian at times from what I can tell which is great during spring training."

On his non-profit Players for the Planet and his first Reds call-up, "A day like that is so vivid and ingrained in your memory, that it's hard not to remember exactly how your heart felt when your manager comes and tells you that you're headed to the big leagues. It was an ordinary day for me, we had just finished batting practice and I was doing my usual routine that year which was reviewing environmental articles and putting together a business plan/mission statement for Players for the Planet, so I would always be on my laptop and eating my pre-game meal. The manager, Rick Sweet came into the lounge and yelled at me to "get the hell off your ******* computer (straight faced)....(smirk) Pack your stuff! Congrats! You're going to the big leagues" (cue the applause.)

On his first game. "Naturally you go and tell every one of your family members and friends, make a mad dash home and pack. Next thing you know, I'm headed to Pittsburgh that night and starting in left field in the lead off spot. My first AB I was so nervous, my back foot and leg were shaking uncontrollably. Luckily I walked and stole second, went to third on the over throw and scored on a Brandon Phillips home run. 2 at bats later, I doubled for my first MLB hit. Welcome to the big leagues!"

On his baseball idol, Ken Griffey, Jr. "Definitely the single most influential athlete for me. Probably in any sport. There was no one athlete in any sport that I tried to mimic and replicate more and I used to go out in the backyard and try to rob home runs over the fence like him, throw like him, run like him, and developed the type of kamikaze outfield play that I have now. I tried to hit like him but that ended up never catching on. My parents knew this and was the only reason exception to staying up late is to finish watching one of his games or if they went into extra innings on the east coast. Then, getting the chance to be in the same big league camp with Griffey was surreal and it took me almost 2 years to get enough courage to talk to him."

"I did a home run contest for SoCal High School Skills Competition and flipped my hat backwards just like he did in Home run Derbys. After awhile, it was hard to escape because we both have the same build and body type. I played center, hit and threw left handed so opposing teams would wear me out about being a 'Wanna-be Griffey', even though I hit nothing like him. He's the greatest in my book and I don't think there will ever be a player to have such an impact on an entire generation of players.

Formula for success. "Believing in your abilities and giving a FULL commitment to each task is very important. One of my biggest things in the off season is to make visits to my High School baseball team and make sure they know the importance of putting forth their best effort, both in the classroom and on the field."

Chris made the ML minimum ($400,000 'ish) the past 4 years, before signing the MiL contract, unlike some of the guys I write about. Hope he's the DH/Outfield answer we've been looking for! :)

From various sources and conversations.

BB

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lifetime OPS of .760 and plays a decent outfield. I'm wondering why this guy has never gotten more of a chance at the Major League level.
Lifetime OPS of .760 and plays a decent outfield. I'm wondering why this guy has never gotten more of a chance at the Major League level.

Let's see... C. Ganderson, Ichero, Gardner and any other "hired gun" his last team could buy.

On Aug. 9, 2010, Dickerson was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers for outfielder Jim Edmonds. Dickerson batted .208 with 5 RBIs in 25 games after the trade to Milwaukee.

On March 25, 2011, Dickerson was traded to the New York Yankees in exchange for pitcher Sergio Mitre. He made his Yankees debut on May 17, 2011 going 1-for-3 with one run batted in, and shortly sent down again.

He was promoted again to the Major Leagues in September. Dickerson cleared waivers before the 2012 season and was outrighted to the AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees. Dickerson was promoted to the Major Leagues again on September 1, 2012.

The Yankees had an abundance of left-handed hitting outfielders on their roster, so they designated Dickerson for assignment and subsequently released him in January 2013.

It's a little clearer why Dickerson was called up. He clearly impressed Buck in ST with this defensive ability and that can hit some though probably more for OBP then power. He will need playing time to be at his best and that will be the challenge. Its seem that Markakis is still not 100% in the field right now though Nick is doing fine with the bat. Still it will be hard for Buck to sit or DH Nick very much. Buck said the Nick drew the short straw between Adam and him last night. Well, the way Adam is hitting and playing the field it will be very hard to get him out of the lineup or the field. Adam and Chris Davis are carrying the team on their backs offensive so far.

Reimold was impacted by Dickerson's start last night as Nolan was put on the bench. Nolan and McLouth are most likely to see their PT impacted by Dickerson. With Nick DHing a little more. Buck is very coy about PT. He knows the issue it is with the players. Bumps and bruises may get more opportunity to heal with Dickerson around.

Well...there's a poster of Griffey in my room, so Dickerson's ok in my book.

The only things I really knew about him before this year were that Michael Gonzalez hit him in the head, and he homered off Tillman last year. After watching him play in ST, though, I would have had him on the team over Pearce and Jackson if we didn't need a RH DH. He's big, athletic, and has a great approach at the plate. Definitely a skill set that appeals to me.

Well...there's a poster of Griffey in my room, so Dickerson's ok in my book.

The only things I really knew about him before this year were that Michael Gonzalez hit him in the head, and he homered off Tillman last year. After watching him play in ST, though, I would have had him on the team over Pearce and Jackson if we didn't need a RH DH. He's big, athletic, and has a great approach at the plate. Definitely a skill set that appeals to me.

Rays $5 million man, Luke Scott not even ready for rehab. Wed starter Roberto Hernandez- $3.5 million makes $1.5 million more than their 3 starters all together not named Price. :laughlol::laughlol:

Wondering when Chris gets in again - against Price Thursday? BTW some folks asked me about Players for the Planet. http://www.playersfortheplanet.org/athletes has the list - includes Brian Matusz, Zach Britton, ex - Os Jeremie Guthrie & Connor Jackson, Curtis Granderson, Ryan Braun, C.L. Wilson and others.

Players for the Planet was founded by Chris and Jack Cassel, former Major League Pitcher. Players for the Planet believes the greening of the world must take place in all types of venues. :) Thus, the organization has dedicated its resources and the talents of the professional athletes who support its mission to educate all involved in youth, amateur and professional sports on how best to adopt environmental practices that will preserve the playing fields and stadiums where we all enjoy playing and watching sports.

The mission of Players for the Planet includes supporting one-on-one and group training and education with players, coaches, parents, team managers and owners and front office personnel. While many of the programs undertaken by Players for the Planet will be on-field, a significant portion of the efforts supported by the organization will be structured for classroom settings where focused learning about the future potential of smart environmental activities can be evaluated and discussed by today's generation and future leaders. :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

Hope Chris and his nice wife sticks around BMore!!

It's a little clearer why Dickerson was called up. He clearly impressed Buck in ST with this defensive ability and that can hit some though probably more for OBP then power. He will need playing time to be at his best and that will be the challenge. Its seem that Markakis is still not 100% in the field right now though Nick is doing fine with the bat. Still it will be hard for Buck to sit or DH Nick very much. Buck said the Nick drew the short straw between Adam and him last night. Well, the way Adam is hitting and playing the field it will be very hard to get him out of the lineup or the field. Adam and Chris Davis are carrying the team on their backs offensive so far.

Reimold was impacted by Dickerson's start last night as Nolan was put on the bench. Nolan and McLouth are most likely to see their PT impacted by Dickerson. With Nick DHing a little more. Buck is very coy about PT. He knows the issue it is with the players. Bumps and bruises may get more opportunity to heal with Dickerson around.

From Roch today:

"Dickerson pinch-ran for Reimold, which leads me to the Game 2 leftover.

Dickerson started in center field and went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts. However, he provided a moment that stuck with Showalter and most definitely earned him more points with the manager.

In the fourth inning, Dickerson grounded back to the mound and reached first base on pitcher Josh Beckett's throwing error. He hustled all the way, which didn't escape Showalter.

"Chris Dickerson running out a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher, that's something that will help my sleep habits," Showalter said. "That was about as cool as anything that happened tonight for me, other than the celebration of Earl (Weaver)."

Yes, the Orioles swept a doubleheader from the Dodgers, and Showalter clung to the image of Dickerson running out a ground ball to the mound. Sometimes, it's the seemingly little things that matter.

BB note:

From Players for the Planet website: (Chris's "passion" and co-founder)

15 Earth Day Tips that Really Make a Difference http://www.playersfortheplanet.org/

And with that said, Cathy and i did a small part yesterday (see below from Hangout Nite thread)

Hope everyone had a great time and felt "MY Spirit" travel up from FL. How were the Bro/Tron folks? Great drinking buddies. Spent the early part of "Earth Day" @ the Farmers/Growers market in Clearwater as volunteer. We did some workshops on gardening w/edibles - peppers, parsley etc. Health screenings; Lottery wheel w/Q and A's on environmental practices; rain barrel making, etc.

No Medical Marijuana, darn - Still not available in FL.

Spent afternoon @ Greektown Grill - educating staff on MLB channel use. Whole bar came outside 7th inning Red Sox game (or was it Mets?) to join us in singing "Sweet Caroline" w/Neil Diamond.

Much more but tired now.

BB & Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post

Reimold :mad: was impacted by Dickerson's start last night as Nolan was put on the bench. Nolan and McLouth are most likely to see their PT impacted by Dickerson. With Nick DHing a little more. Buck is very coy about PT. He knows the issue it is with the players. Bumps and bruises will have a chance to heal.

From Roch today:

"Dickerson pinch-ran for Reimold, which leads me to the Game 2 leftover.

Dickerson started in center field and went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts. However, he provided a moment that stuck with Showalter and most definitely earned him more points with the manager.

In the fourth inning, Dickerson grounded back to the mound and reached first base on pitcher Josh Beckett's throwing error. He hustled all the way, which didn't escape Showalter.

"Chris Dickerson running out a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher, that's something that will help my sleep habits," Showalter said. "That was about as cool as anything that happened tonight for me, other than the celebration of Earl (Weaver)."

Yes, the Orioles swept a doubleheader from the Dodgers, and Showalter clung to the image of Dickerson running out a ground ball to the mound. Sometimes, it's the seemingly little things that matter.

BB note:

From Players for the Planet website: (Chris's "passion" and co-founder)

15 Earth Day Tips that Really Make a Difference http://www.playersfortheplanet.org/

And with that said, Cathy and i did a small part yesterday volunteering @ Clearwater Growers/Farmers Market - handing out edible plants for takehome and doing a workshop on "Making Rain Barrels." ;):D

Bunt single and a "seeing eye" blooper - 2 two out hits [2 of O's 6 hits so far to lead the team after 5 innings, one with a man on.] :) Not afraid to try a steal w/2 outs (caught:cussing:) Pure baseball player in my book, humble and glad to be here. Adam, take note or your 162 game streaks may be in jeopardy. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post

Reimold :mad: was impacted by Dickerson's start last night as Nolan was put on the bench. Nolan and McLouth are most likely to see their PT impacted by Dickerson. With Nick DHing a little more. Buck is very coy about PT. He knows the issue it is with the players. Bumps and bruises will have a chance to heal.

Bunt single and a "seeing eye" blooper - 2 two out hits [2 of O's 6 hits so far to lead the team after 5 innings, one with a man on.] :) Not afraid to try a steal w/2 outs (caught:cussing:) Pure baseball player in my book, humble and glad to be here. Adam, take note or your 162 game streaks may be in jeopardy. :eek:

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you implying that Adam is not a pure baseball player, humble nor glad to be here? He seems very happy to be in Bmore, the face of the franchise and accessible to fans. And he's all sorts of talented.

Again, not trying to put words in your mouth, just wondering. Don't think Mr. Dickerson's bloop singles are threatening Jones's spot at this point.

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you implying that Adam is not a pure baseball player, humble nor glad to be here? He seems very happy to be in Bmore, the face of the franchise and accessible to fans. And he's all sorts of talented.

Again, not trying to put words in your mouth, just wondering. Don't think Mr. Dickerson's bloop singles are threatening Jones's spot at this point.

IMHO.....AJ is what he is, Nick is what he is. Both are talented, Jones more so probably than Markakis. :scratchchinhmm: AJ prides himself on being able to play 162 games a la Cal. :cool: Nick is not obsessed with playing 162, nor being in the "spotlight" as a Leader/Face of Franchise, but will step up if necessary - do what is needed. :thumbsup1:

Dickerson, Lew Ford, Steve Johnson, Travis Driscoll, Melvin Mora, Rick Dempsey...the list goes on with guys who are pieces to make it through 162 games, playoffs, WS, year after year - they have the "want to" and some ability Buck, Earl Weaver and other "Puzzle Masters" have to bring this about. :scratchchinhmm: (See Boston last year for a guy who either did not have the "right" $200 million pieces.... or was a terrible manager).

Guys with the "want to" can infect the whole "team" to produce maximum effort,.... guys with the ability hopefully can sustain the effort necessary and the auxiliary pieces help this happen. :clap3:

Would you have SAT AJ for not hustling down the line or lackadaisal effort on a fly as some have noticed during his carer so far for an inning or 2 or a game like Billy Martin or Tommy LaRosa would have? :rolleyes: Probably would not have the desired effect, given AJ's personality, but........

I think/beiieve that he needs to take a day or 2 off, like most players and be available to pinch hit, run, etc. to get a win and also keep at his peak. Imagine bringing him in for Flaherty, Pearce or even Dickerson in a tie game with one on in the 9th or 10th inning = could very likely lead to a win as opposed to a lackluster 0 for 4 night tonight with a walk and a K. And/Or keep him Fresh like Nate was tonight, after a night off!

My opinion :)... certainly not gospel. Maybe Drungo has a stat to measure this? Drungo you up yet? FRobby? Weams? Paul F.? You guys have a good take on a lot of things "ouside the box" and are long time O's fans....for your ages.

Archived