Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty mediocre if you ask me.

I disagree. Considering we had 14 years of losing followed by one magical year where everything went right for the team, I'd say a 10% increase in one year is HUGE!

Then again, I'm one who knows that people have other priorities in life than attending every single Orioles game, so what do I know (says the guy who still found a way to 15+ games this season).

I disagree. Considering we had 14 years of losing followed by one magical year where everything went right for the team, I'd say a 10% increase in one year is HUGE!

Then again, I'm one who knows that people have other priorities in life than attending every single Orioles game, so what do I know (says the guy who still found a way to 15+ games this season).

I could have written this, only substitute "gal" for "guy"! :thumbsup1:

Seriously, I think people forget that passion for baseball around here died a slow, painful death over a decade and a half. One good season plus one just OK season, albeit a winning one, garnered a 10% increase in attendance. I think that's pretty good. Better marketing this year might have helped it a bit. Upgrading the roster before 2014 might too.

Baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

27,498 in the series finale vs. the Blue Jays last night.

They got to see us take the season series from those Jays, 10 games to 9.

It was a great crowd. Baltimore, the biggest small town in America, did not disappoint. I ran into at least a dozen people I know in the center field bar when I went up there after the 6th. The nice thing about last night was that it was all Orioles fans.

I have tickets to all three games this weekend and I'm dreading the Sox/Os fan split. I hope we make a good showing.

Some perspective:

The Yankees drew an AL-high 3,279,589, their lowest attendance in five seasons at new Yankee Stadium and down from 3.54 million last year. Their average of 40,488 was their lowest since 40,346 in 2000, according to STATS. The Yankees had just seven sellouts.

So the Yankees, who will finish over .500 and were in the playoff chase until this week, had nearly 300,000 fewer fans in attendance this season. That's a drop of 9.2%. That's kind of incredible if you ask me. To be fair, that's still a great number and their attendance probably had nowhere to go but down, but nearly a 10% drop for a contending team? I'm a little shocked.

Some perspective:

So the Yankees, who will finish over .500 and were in the playoff chase until this week, had nearly 300,000 fewer fans in attendance this season. That's a drop of 9.2%. That's kind of incredible if you ask me. To be fair, that's still a great number and their attendance probably had nowhere to go but down, but nearly a 10% drop for a contending team? I'm a little shocked.

Didn't they have a monster ticket price increase?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>30,774 here for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23RedSox&src=hash">#RedSox</a>. A robust Friday night crowd.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">September 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Attendance up 8.3% from 79 dates in 2012. Two extra gates this weekend will inflate that percentage for the year.

Some perspective:

They really weren't a contender up until August. And they were playing without the stars that their fans come to see. And, their fans are incredibly spoiled by their past success.

They really weren't a contender up until August. And they were playing without the stars that their fans come to see. And, their fans are incredibly spoiled by their past success.

I know all of that. Attendance is often a reflection of the previous year's record. Well, the Yankees got to the ALCS in 2012, and yet their attendance dropped this year. The O's have now had 2 winning seasons in 15 years, and their attendance went up 10%. My point is that's nothing to sneeze at, and I'm not sure it was realistic to expect more.

I know all of that. Attendance is often a reflection of the previous year's record. Well, the Yankees got to the ALCS in 2012, and yet their attendance dropped this year. The O's have now had 2 winning seasons in 15 years, and their attendance went up 10%. My point is that's nothing to sneeze at, and I'm not sure it was realistic to expect more.

This is a 50 page long thread (at least, in the form it sppears on my iPhone), so it's difficult not to repeat things I've said several times in the prior 49 pages. In summary, I'm not disappointed in any way that reflects on the loyalty of Orioles fans. But based on my review of other teams which had a long track record of losing, had a turnaround season where they made the playoffs, and then followed that up with another winning season where they were in the race almost all season, I would have expected a larger increase. The 2006-07 Tigers had increases of 570,000 and 450,000 back to back. The 2012-13 Nats improved by 430,000 and 280,000. So, I'm a bit disappointed with our 350,000 and 250,000 (estimated). Our increases are not very far behind the Nats', either on an absolute or percentage basis, but I thought we'd be a little more like the Tigers given the longevity of our franchise in Baltimore compared to the Nats relatively short tenure in DC. And I'm surprised the Orioles are still 270,000 fans below where they were in 2005, which was their 8th consecutive losing season and a year in which the brand-new Nats drew 2.73 mm fans. The Nats were within 80,000 of their 2005 debut season total this year. So, it's pretty clear we've lost some market share to the Nats after their initial, top drawing season. That disappoints me, and frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that the total draw in the region isn't back to 2005 levels. Total major league attendance this year will be almost exactly what it was in 2005 (74.9 mm), yet the O's are still down about 10% and the Nats 3% from that time. Frankly, the Nats are a bit more understandable, since 2005 was their debut season and you'd expect attendance to be artificially high that year. For us to still be down 10% from where we were in our 8th straight losing season is harder for me to understand. I do think the premium pricing policy has hurt our attendance some, as evidenced in that final Yankee series, which for me was the most disappointing home series of the year attendance-wise (and maybe results-wise, too).

Archived