Is Jones overrated Defensively?

Orioles2012

A story going around my work today is that Jones has an endorsement deal with Bazooka and gets paid on plays where he is photographed blowing a bubble. Does anyone know anything about this? Thinking back to when I played, I can't conceive of doing anything that would take away from my concentration while in the midst of executing a play. I am an Adam Jones fan, but I just don't like the bubble thing. If it's true that he gets paid for it, and if it's taking away from his concentration, he needs to be traded.

That's just ridiculous. And Jones is going to be an Orioles for the next six years, so we might as well get used to him.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones isn't the best defensive CF in the league, but hes a good one. Its really frustrating to see our "leader" look as if he isn't taking the job seriously in the field at times, but its not likely to be something that will plague him for long. He is a great person, great for the community, wants to be a great example, and I think he'll make the adjustments he needs to. I'd rather us be dealing with the few lame defensive plays from Adam Jones than anyone else..

A story going around my work today is that Jones has an endorsement deal with Bazooka and gets paid on plays where he is photographed blowing a bubble. Does anyone know anything about this? Thinking back to when I played, I can't conceive of doing anything that would take away from my concentration while in the midst of executing a play. I am an Adam Jones fan, but I just don't like the bubble thing. If it's true that he gets paid for it, and if it's taking away from his concentration, he needs to be traded.

Knowing Jones personally, I can tell you that is not true at all.

Number one, that's an absurd endorsement deal, where is the marketing at? The brand name?

Secondly, he doesn't even chew Bazooka, he chews sugar free Double Bubble.

He is in a field slump and TRUST me, he is more frustrated than anyone on this board. He is hard on himself.

Do you work at a mental hospital? That's an absurd claim from beginning to end and you should have punched the person saying it right after hearing the word "Bazooka" for insulting your intelligence.

Since you know him, I will trust what you say but I really don't understand why you blow a bubble in the middle of tracking a ball. It's got to take something away.

It's honestly just habit. The same way some guys can spit or chew seeds while batting. It doesn't affect your play. Jones or anyone for that matter doesn't have to TRY or CONCENTRATE to blow a bubble. It's just natural, just habit.

Blowing bubbles doesn't take away from his play.

It's honestly just habit. The same way some guys can spit or chew seeds while batting. It doesn't affect your play. Jones or anyone for that matter doesn't have to TRY or CONCENTRATE to blow a bubble. It's just natural, just habit.

You'll never be able to explain this to people who have bubble gum on the brain.

I noticed Jones does not blow a bubble as the pitch crosses the plate, as he does when he's just about to make a catch. And I've never seen him blow a bubble while swinging at a pitch.

But, what would be the call if Jones blew a bubble as the pitch enters the inside portion of the plate and the ball hits the bubble and bursts it. It hits nothing else but the bubble. Would the ump call a 'hit-by-the pitch' since the bubble is part of the body?

Tough call. You be the judge.

I noticed Jones does not blow a bubble as the pitch crosses the plate, as he does when he's just about to make a catch. And I've never seen him blow a bubble while swinging at a pitch.

But, what would be the call if Jones blew a bubble as the pitch enters the inside portion of the plate and the ball hits the bubble and bursts it. It hits nothing else but the bubble. Would the ump call a 'hit-by-the pitch' since the bubble is part of the body?

Tough call. You be the judge.

I always wanted the O's to sign an anti-Gaedel pinch hitter, using one of those guys from The Discovery Health Channel who weighs 1000 pounds. If he's able to stand, there's a good chance his body will be in the strike zone while he's stading in the batter's box, so he's almost guaranteed to get hit by most strikes. At the very least it would force a ruling on what happens when a batter is physically unable to position himself at bat so that his body is not covering up the strike zone.

Finally a lucid explanation of this dilemma. Thanks Mikey...oh wait....

I always wanted the O's to sign an anti-Gaedel pinch hitter, using one of those guys from The Discovery Health Channel who weighs 1000 pounds. If he's able to stand, there's a good chance his body will be in the strike zone while he's stading in the batter's box, so he's almost guaranteed to get hit by most strikes. At the very least it would force a ruling on what happens when a batter is physically unable to position himself at bat so that his body is not covering up the strike zone.

I believe if you are hit by a pitch in the strike zone, it is still just a called strike.

Hmmm... then we would have to devise some kind of a girdle that just barely kept our PHers mass out of the strike zone. That might limit his effectiveness.
I wouldn't draw any comparisons between Hardy's GG and Palmeiro's. Do you think Hardy was undeserving. I would prefer they go with the Fielding Bibles process applied to each league. But I don't think Hardy's award was as egregious as some others.

I wouldn't draw any comparisons between Hardy's GG and Palmeiro's. Do you think Hardy was undeserving. I would prefer they go with the Fielding Bibles process applied to each league. But I don't think Hardy's award was as egregious as some others.

No, not at all. With the GGs I'm pleased if they manage to give out awards that aren't awful. If the guy played most of the year at a position and was probably above average that's a decent outcome given the process. Hardy was legitimately in the running, so it's all good.

Archived