Should Andy Etchebarren be in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame ???

OFFNY

Should Andy Etchebarren Be in the Orioles Hall-Of-Fame ???  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Etchebarren Be in the Orioles Hall-Of-Fame ???

I say no. Andy was a part time player who couldn't hit. What is the point of a hall of game if you put everybody in?

For better or worse, the bar has been set pretty low. Andy played more games in an Oriole uniform than Elrod did, and had a higher WAR. I know Elrod was the bullpen coach forever, but Andy also was a long time coach. For what this HOF is, longevity and a history of playing on the greatest Oriole teams is pretty important.

Or, they could just stop letting anyone in for a while. They feel the need to induct someone every year, but if you think about it, that's probably too many.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For better or worse, the bar has been set pretty low. Andy

By setting the bar low, and not putting in everyone above a certain level, or even agreeing that there is a certain level, you've turned the O's HOF into a popularity contest. And a popularity contest among The Oriole Advocates, which 98% of the population, including me, has no idea who they are or why they exist or what their agendas or objectives are. Being baseball we're probably safe in assuming that they're overwhelmingly old white guys who have some pretty heavy biases in favor of teams from 30, 40, 50 years ago. And the results aren't surprising: a large majority of regulars from the good teams of ~40 years ago have been inducted.

Halls of Fame are good for at least one thing: giving people something to talk about. But the O's make it hard with theirs, since the criteria really is "do the Orioles advocates like you right now?" It's pretty hard to find any ex-Oriole you could completely exclude from eventual enshrinement.

By setting the bar low, and not putting in everyone above a certain level, or even agreeing that there is a certain level, you've turned the O's HOF into a popularity contest. And a popularity contest among The Oriole Advocates, which 98% of the population, including me, has no idea who they are or why they exist or what their agendas or objectives are. Being baseball we're probably safe in assuming that they're overwhelmingly old white guys who have some pretty heavy biases in favor of teams from 30, 40, 50 years ago. And the results aren't surprising: a large majority of regulars from the good teams of ~40 years ago have been inducted.

Halls of Fame are good for at least one thing: giving people something to talk about. But the O's make it hard with theirs, since the criteria really is "do the Orioles advocates like you right now?" It's pretty hard to find any ex-Oriole you could completely exclude from eventual enshrinement.

Meh, I just don't take this very seriously.

All time games by Orioles catchers (1954-present):

Dempsey 1245

Triandos 953

Hoiles 894

Etchebarren 730

Hendricks 658

Wieters 535

The Orioles' HOF is heavily stacked with players from the '66-'74 and '79-'83 teams. That's OK by me, because when the fan base thinks about great Orioles teams, that's who they think of.

Meh, I just don't take this very seriously.

All time games by Orioles catchers (1954-present):

Dempsey 1245

Triandos 953

Hoiles 894

Etchebarren 730

Hendricks 658

Wieters 535

The Orioles' HOF is heavily stacked with players from the '66-'74 and '79-'83 teams. That's OK by me, because when the fan base thinks about great Orioles teams, that's who they think of.

I've probably used more electrons on this than is warranted. But when you say Hall of Fame it just starts the ball rolling.

I do think it's a little crazy they have about 70 people in the O's HOF, maybe 40-50 players. The modern team has only existed for 59 years. There's actually more than one person per year the team has been here. Geez, if this were the Cubs they'd have 150 people in their Hall (Yea, I just looked, I don't think they have one. But they do have about 40 guys in Cooperstown.)

By the way, Matt Wieters has moved past Triandos into 3rd place in rWAR among O's catchers. He's still about 8 wins behind Dempsey and 10 behind Hoiles so it'll be at least next year, and probably 2015 before he moves into first place.

Which shows you how despite his flaws, Wieters is easily the best all around catcher in Orioles history. Dempsey couldn't hit for much, Hoiles wasn't a good fielder. Wieters isn't what most of us wanted him to be offensively, but when you combine the two, he's going to be the best catcher in team history. Frankly, I'd argue he's already there.

I do think it's a little crazy they have about 70 people in the O's HOF, maybe 40-50 players.

I count 43 modern Orioles who are in primarily as players:

1B: 4 (Gentile, May, Murray, Powell)

2B: 4 (Alomar, Dauer, Grich, Johnson)

SS: 4 (Aparicio, Belanger, Bordick, Ripken)

3B: 2 (DeCinces, Robinson)

C: 4 (Dempsey, Hendricks, Hoiles, Triandos)

LF: 3 (Buford, Surhoff, Woodling)

CF: 3 (Anderson, Blair, Bumbry)

RF: 2 (Robinson, Singleton)

DH: 1 (Baines)

SP: 10 (Barber, Boddicker, Brown, Cuellar, D. Martinez, Flanagan, McGregor, McNally, Mussina, Palmer, Pappas)

RP: 6 (Hall, Miller, T. Martinez, Olson, Watt, Wilhelm)

I have to admit, I had to look up Hal Brown. Never heard of him, though he went 62-48 with a 3.61 ERA in an Orioles uniform from 1955-62. Also, not sure why Jack Dunn III is in the Orioles' Hall of Fame, but none of the other "Old Orioles" are.

Some notable players who are eligible and not in yet: Palmeiro, Roenicke, Lowenstein, Devereaux, Snyder, Rettenmund.

Not sure who all is in the O's HOF (I know Dauer was voted in fairly recently) and I am sure Belanger is in there. So with defense in mind, and the value that a catcher brings to a pitching staff, plus his coaching in the minors, sure I think he ought to be in there. I also think Elrod should be in there as well because of his overall career as a player and coach.

Alan Wiggins would never make it in. I think Elrod doesn't deserve to be in by his efforts as a player. I think his likeablility and his tenure as a coach is what got him in.

• 3 years later...
Etchebarren has two things going for him that the others don't:

1. A pretty long career as an Oriole (12 years)

2. Several more years in the organization as an Orioles coach

For this type of HOF, longevity and organizational loyalty count for a lot. Heck, his eyebrows alone should put him in.

As this will likely get moved to the Orioles History section .......

Etchebarren still is not in.

He does have longevity in the organization as a player, and especially as a player and as a coach combined.

I'm shocked he's not in the O's Hall. I would think being a starter or platoon catcher( later with Elrod) during their magnificent '66 to '71 run (and ALCS in '73-'74) would have had him in easily. Maybe with the '66 team being celebrated at the Yard later this summer, this is the year to honor him, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Etchebarren has two things going for him that the others don't:

1. A pretty long career as an Oriole (12 years)

2. Several more years in the organization as an Orioles coach

For this type of HOF, longevity and organizational loyalty count for a lot. Heck, his eyebrows alone should put him in.

I agree. But you have to be careful here, the Orioles probably have too many players in their HOF already. At least that what people like Tom Davis has mentioned in the past.

As I recall, Etchebarren used to be pretty blunt when discussing prospects at Bluefield. He was fired, no? Is he still in the organization? Is there any possibility of bad bloood?

According to his wiki page, he retired in 2012 from baseball.

Melewski had this to say:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/05/orioles-announce-plans-to-celebrate-the-1966-world-series-champs.html

BTW, I believe he managed at Aberdeen and not Bluefield and was fired in 2007.

Some truth to that. He was fired in 2007 by the Orioles. But, it looks like he did manage after that.

In 2001 and 2002 Etchebarren was manager of the Rochester Red Wings of the International League. He served as manager of the Aberdeen IronBirds of the New York–Penn League for three seasons until his dismissal from that position on October 22, 2007. He was the manager of the York Revolution of the Atlantic League, and retired from baseball following the 2012 season.

• 1 month later...

Archived