Nick Delmonico and Christian Walker

steve4

I agree, but I would expect the number of hitters having "success" at Frederick after escaping Delmarva to be better than our system has experienced.

The jump in competition is certainly one aspect as only a handful of our hitting prospects have emerged with much stronger Frederick numbers than Delmarva. I expected more from guys like Tripp, Welty, Spears and several others decent prospects in Frederick. What Delmonico is doing is what I remember Markakis doing, but few others.

Well the biggest problem is that we haven't had very many hitting prospects. Machado and Schoop both did well at Delmarva despite the hitting condition and not surprisingly, they are both pretty solid guys (Obviously Machado is at a different level). I'm just glad I was able to see his BP last year because that really cemented his power projection for me. I'm hoping to see him again this weekend.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that while Delmonico was a HS selection, he was old for his class (and would actually be a draft eligible sophomore this year had he attended college). The numbers this year are definitely promising this far. BB/SO ratio is very good. BB/PA (19%) is very good and SO/PA (20%) is not very good -- particularly since we know from history that BB/PA tends to decrease as you move up the ranks (since pitchers give away fewer ABs), and SO/PA tends to increase as you move up the ranks and face better stuff with more consistent execution.

Raw power and playable power both need to be considered, as do the adjustments he'll be making as you progresses and has to evolve against better arms. It's just way too early to let stat lines weigh too heavily on future projection, though it's obviously better to have good numbers.

If he starts at HiA next year, he'll essentially be on track as compares to an early-round college bat selected in this draft. Looks like he's keeping pace fine, but (as has been said above) his defensive position will set a high bar from the bat, and there are lots of tests ahead in that department.

Are we talking about Delmonico? He's in High A now. The way he's hitting, there's no way he's starting next year in High A, unless something weird happens.

You're right -- I misread the spreadsheet. He is in HiA right now. If he is at Double-A next year and performing well as a 22-year old, that will be solid progress for sure. Outside chance that he breaks into the back half of Top 100 lists, though that of course depends on how he looks over the course of the whole season, offense and defense included.

Just to be clear, Nick Delmonico was a little bit old for his draft class. He was 18 when drafted but his birthday is July 12. So he'll turn 21 in July and start out next season at age 21.

Apologies, I am not good with relative statements as relates to player age. From a drafting standpoint, 18y 10m would be considered "older" for a class. That's all I meant. For comparison's sake, 18y 10m would make him one of the top seven or eight oldest HS players in this draft class with a shot at top 10 round selection.

Just to be clear, Nick Delmonico was a little bit old for his draft class. He was 18 when drafted but his birthday is July 12. So he'll turn 21 in July and start out next season at age 21.

Have to point out -- he's one week younger than Manny Machado.

Apologies, I am not good with relative statements as relates to player age. From a drafting standpoint, 18y 10m would be considered "older" for a class. That's all I meant. For comparison's sake, 18y 10m would make him one of the top seven or eight oldest HS players in this draft class with a shot at top 10 round selection.

I think the "old" for the class discussion pertains more to guys who are 19 or so on draft day and were held back a year. I think Bryan Bass and Corey Shafer were poster children for the old HS kids who flamed out quickly. Not sure if they were older than ND on draft day.

So, if you advance him a class, how does ND compare to the HS hitters from the class before. How many of those hitters are in High A or AA and what are they hitting?

Then why do we have hitting coaches? If we cann't help the younger players. Must not be doing there job then.

There is more to it then just helping him. If his swing isn't fast enough to catch up to good fastballs. There isn't much you can do about it. You can try and cut it down but that depends on the player and the swing he already has and if it's able to be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more HR's for Delmonico today and Walker just keeps on rolling too. Looks like Duq and co. had a pretty good draft last year so far. I can't remember and O's prospect putting up the HR numbers like Delmonico is this year that is actually the right age for his league. Probably Wieters was the last. Hopefully these two guys stay healthy and get a taste of AA eventually this year.

Archived