Nick Delmonico and Christian Walker

steve4

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How has the transition to third base gone for you?

It's been good. When I fail, (coach Torre Tyson) picks me up and tells me what I did wrong so I've learned a lot. It's my first year over there taking ground balls everyday. Espo (Jason Esposito) has helped me more than anything. He's one of the best third baseman I've ever seen, especially when I watched him at Vanderbilt. It's great to have a teammate like that that cares about you.

What goals do you have both individually and with the team heading into the second half?

Trying to make the playoffs. I've never been a part of that in pro ball, so I think that'd be pretty special. Individually, defense more than anything. I still have to work offensively, but just day-by-day work with (Torre) Tyson and working on things I'm not really good at.

First, I'm really happy to hear that Esposito is such a good teammate. I remember there was some unhappy fan who posted some negative things about him last year, and some other people posted and either supported or disputed the original poster. So, it's good to hear positive things about him from Delmonico, especially considering that Esposito is really struggling at the plate himself. It's good that he has found other ways to help his teammates.

Second, I'm glad to see that Delmonico is a hard worker and understands that he needs to put a lot of effort into upgrading his defense.

His Dad calls everyday?! That's a little much Pops even though you were a college coach. He's in the Pros now Daddy.

Why? Even if he is in the pros he is still a teenager living away from his parents. Hell I am 41 years old and talk to my parents every day. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

His Dad calls everyday?! That's a little much Pops even though you were a college coach. He's in the Pros now Daddy.

I don't think you understand the strain mentally competing at elite levels. His Dad has experience at elite levels it helps to have someone you trust to help keep your head straight when you are going through the ups and downs that come when competing. A lot of guys have someone that fills that role especially when they are young like Nick. I coach football and I have guys that call or text all the time that are playing in college. I don't change the message they are getting from their coaches I just help the player stay on task, try to help them stay focused on where their going not the grind of what happened today. Remind them it is the work that matters. Nick's support system is obviously working so they condescending remarks about Daddy are probably off the mark IMO.

Not to pile on Esposito, but he is a terrible 3B. I hope Nick's not taking too many pointers from him.

Esposito made a lot of errors last year, but I've heard some very good things about his defense from some credible sources (not just from while he was at Vandy, but while he's been in our organzation). Have you seen him play, or are you just looking at numbers?

It's not his fault.

The O's drafted him in the second round.

This is, IMO, a great point worth repeating. He appears to have been an overdraft and that's not his fault.

Esposito has had a rough experience in the minors, some by his own doing, and it is refreshing, as Frobby has pointed out, to hear some nice words about the kid from a teammate. It must make some posters feel better to "pile on" the criticisms with words like "terrible" or "bust" - pointing out the obvious in a less than respectful manner. I am not a fan of Esposito's, but at least he is not a quitter after encountering the setbacks he's had, and it speaks nicely of the kid that he is out there offering advice his younger teammates find useful.

Taking the fam to Saturday nights game (thanks for the 6:00 start time Keys!). Pumped to see Nicky and Christian knock the ole Pelicans around. I'll have my hands full with a 5 year old in a cast halfway up his thigh and a 6 week old. But I'll post anything I find relevant.

As a side note Sgt Slaughter is there tonight for Fredneck Night. Running a Redneck Boot Camp. Quality effort Keys promotions staff.

Esposito wasn't an overdraft. He was a potential first-round pick entering the season and was projected to go right around where he went in the second round. Some scouts liked him a lot as a power-hitting 3B with a great glove, and some (Keith Law, most vocally) didn't think he had the bat speed for the pros. We're finding out who was right and who wasn't. There are always differences of opinion, but the consensus seemed to be that someone would take Esposito pretty high. It wasn't the Orioles liking someone more than everyone else.

This is, IMO, a great point worth repeating. He appears to have been an overdraft and that's not his fault.

Esposito has had a rough experience in the minors, some by his own doing, and it is refreshing, as Frobby has pointed out, to hear some nice words about the kid from a teammate. It must make some posters feel better to "pile on" the criticisms with words like "terrible" or "bust" - pointing out the obvious in a less than respectful manner. I am not a fan of Esposito's, but at least he is not a quitter after encountering the setbacks he's had, and it speaks nicely of the kid that he is out there offering advice his younger teammates find useful.

Esposito wasn't an overdraft. He was a potential first-round pick entering the season and was projected to go right around where he went in the second round. Some scouts liked him a lot as a power-hitting 3B with a great glove, and some (Keith Law, most vocally) didn't think he had the bat speed for the pros. We're finding out who was right and who wasn't. There are always differences of opinion, but the consensus seemed to be that someone would take Esposito pretty high. It wasn't the Orioles liking someone more than everyone else.

Sorry hoosiers I wasn't calling him a reach. I was commenting on the bad results the O's have gotten out of their second rounds picks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived