Anyone else starting to get worried?

sfosfan

Anyone but Roy that is, he's a given. :D

But this time, I'm with Roy. #1 starter looks bad and seems to be getting worse. Closer getting roughed up on a weekly basis it seems. Wieters still trying to hit higher than his weight, and there doesn't seem to be any more scotch tape should another pitcher go down. The only places I'm not worried are outfield and 3b. The All Star Break can't come soon enough for me.

On the plus side, Manny is just being Manny, Tillman was not a one year wonder, McLouth is back to normal, Davis is more than a hr and strikeout machine, Jones has really progressed as a hitter and the depth we have in AAA is doing a decent job when called upon. If you had told me at the start of the year all these good things were going to happen I would have thought we'd be in first by 5 games now. No way did I see the Hammel and Johnson issues, although it's still probably too early to call Johnson an issue yet. But still, it's causing me some angst. Anyone else feel this way, and if not, why not?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short term worry: hold the starting rotation together with scotch tape until Chen and Wada are here. Long term worry: is Hammel able to turn things around? Can Gausman be effective when called upon. Not worried about JJ, O'Day, Wieters, etc.

Yes, I'm worried. But since there's nothing that I can do about it, I'll just do what I always do ...... take it one game at a time, and if we win today, I'll be very happy about it, and glad that we are 24-19 instead of 23-20.

Then, I'll look forward to no further than tomorrow's game against the Yankees, and if we can manage to win that and improve our record to 25-19 overall, I'll be thrilled with that.

Unless it's late-August and we have a lead in our division by at least 9 or 10 games or more, that's the only way that I can look at it without driving myself up a wall.

Yes, I'm worried. But since there's nothing that I can do about it, I'll just do what I always do ...... take it one game at a time, and if we win today, I'll be very happy about it, and glad that we are 24-19 instead of 23-20.

Then, I'll look forward to no further than tomorrow's game against the Yankees, and if we can manage to win that and improve our record to 25-19 overall, I'll be thrilled with that.

Unless it's late-August and we have a lead in our division by at least 9 or 10 games or more, that's the only way that I can look at it without driving myself up a wall.

Do we even know who is pitching tomorrow?

I think a lot of people were predicting a .500ish team. This is what that looks like. They still have a plenty of chances to "right" the ship, but DD may need to look outside of the organization.

I think DD and Buck will be willing to add as needed, but how much PA allow in extra contracts? Just about everything went right last year, this year not so much. It is still early, but they are not playing as crisp as before.

Do we even know who is pitching tomorrow?

As Marv Albert would say, YES! My point exactly. The uncertainty is not fun right now.

Buck is the best manager in baseball. Anyone that tells me a manager is only good for a few wins a year is foolish.

Having said that, when the team fails to address both glaring needs in the offseason (cleanup hitter, TOR pitcher) there is only so much a manager can do.

I have no idea why we signed virtually nobody this offseason but DD doesn't exactly have a track record of being cheap so that tells me that comes from another source.

Money doesn't solve all our problems, but it gets us closer to being a serious playoff threat.

Maybe I don't want to know who is pitching tomorrow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a> starters for NYY series beginning Monday are Garcia, Gonzalez (coming off DL) and Hammel.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ebbs and flows. Buck is always going to overachieve with what he is given but I am worried PA is growing content. This team has a lot of needs if we want to get to a WS and I worry that we aren't seizing the opportunity. A few minor trades for supporting castmembers at the deadline might not cut it this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a> starters for NYY series beginning Monday are Garcia, Gonzalez (coming off DL) and Hammel.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They are actually going with Garcia tomorrow against the Yankees? I have nothing positive to say about that.

Archived