Doubles Machine 2.0

tinamodotti

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but if he gets three more tomorrow he breaks Ty F'ing Cobb's record.

I thought that was career hits by a guy who wasn't allowed to pencil his own name into the lineup long after he'd become a replacement-level player. Manny has 15-20 years before he breaks that one.

I thought that was career hits by a guy who wasn't allowed to pencil his own name into the lineup long after he'd become a replacement-level player. Manny has 15-20 years before he breaks that one.
I have no idea of what you are trying to say with your baroque/rococo style efforts at wit, but I was referring to the fact the he is tied for Cobb's record of 5 consecutive road games with 3 hits.

I have no idea of what you are trying to say with your baroque/rococo style efforts at wit, but I was referring to the fact the he is tied for Cobb's record of 5 consecutive road games with 3 hits.

The record is actually five consecutive road games with three or more hits by a player under 21.

My guess is that some other players over the age of 20 have also accomplished this "feat".

Rococo? Is she the one that dances at Art's Performing Center on Saturday nights?

Double #22 today.

On May 26th 1931, Earl Webb hit his 15th and 16th doubles of the season. Interesting note, Webb never hit more than 2 doubles in a game. Not in 1931 or any other year.

When Webb broke the record, it was only 5 years old, having been set by George Burns in 1926*, who won the MVP for the effort. Webb and Burns were both 33 in their recording setting years. Charlie Gehringer was 33 in 1936 when he hit 60 doubles(the only MLB player to hit exactly 60 in a season, he finished 4th in MVP voting).

Of the ninety-one 50 double seasons in MLB history, only one was accomplished prior to age 23. The aforementioned Arod. Notable players who went 50+ in their age 23 season: Stan Musial, Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and Enos Slaughter.

Webb 1931 doubles by Month

Apr 5

May 16

Jun 9

Jul 18

Aug 6

Sept 13

*1887 Tip O'Neill 52

1899 Ed Delahanty 55

1923 Tris Speaker 59

1926 George Burns 64

1931 Earl Webb 67

The minor league record for doubles is 100, by a guy named Lyman Lamb in the Western League in 1924. Lamb briefly played for the St. Louis Browns in the 20s.

That's one of the more astounding minor league records, as I'm pretty sure nobody else ever hit 80 doubles in a season, not even in the 200+ game schedules of the PCL. Lamb really was a minor league doubles machine, and in '22-'24 across several different leagues he hit 71, 68, and 100.

In his 54 games with the Browns he hit 11 doubles, which is a pace for 38 per 600 PAs.

On the topic of meaningless and arbitrary records Machado holds [in this case most hits before June 1st by a player under 21] I will say that it is impressive that he has nine more hits then the #2 guy, with four games to play. He just shattered that record nobody knew about three weeks ago.

With three of the current top six AL doubles-hitters being Orioles, it looks like the whole team is a doubles machine! Where might we stand in terms of team doubles records?

I believe the team doubles record is 373, held by both the '97 and '04 Red Sox. The O's are on pace for 365. It'll be tough to beat a team that played in front of the Green Monster. I'd be willing to bet Fenway is the most doubles-friendly long-term park in MLB history.

Edit: Sorry, El Gordo beat me to it. bb-ref is playing havoc with my ancient work-mandated web browser and I had to piece together a search that missed the '08 Rangers.

Archived