Doubles Machine 2.0

tinamodotti

Here's an answer I didn't expect:

Did the foreign substances put on the ball prior to the spitball ban have a quantifiable impact on runs as the games progressed? In other words, in 1917 were there more runs scored early in the game than in later innings because the ball became a black, oblong mush? Tried to look this up on retrosheet and bb-ref and they don't have the splits to that level prior to WWII.

Asked by: jwilt

Answered: 6/12/2013

<!--Bill's Reply...

-->(Bill James) I wouldn't think so. Even then, the baseball was replaced 10 or more times a game. A typical game NOW uses dozens of baseballs (I think about 100 is the average). It wasn't a hundred at that time, but the baseballs certainly were replaced repeatedly throughout the game.

<!--back to top

-->

I'm sure I've read dozens of times that MLB used as few balls as humanly possible prior to 1920. That it was common to have black, misshapen, soggy balls continue in play. Bill's response seems to call that into question.

I guess we'll have to wait for the folks at retosheet to get the pre-WWII data up to snuff to really check.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double #28 today in team game 66.

Thru 66 Red Sox games in 1931, Earl Webb had 31 doubles.

Manny is still maintaining a tremendous record breaking pace of 69. He is seven doubles ahead of the pack, with Chris Davis actually second in MLB right now at 21. Perhaps Davis deserves his own XBH thread, as he is on pace for 52 HR and 52 2B. There have only been fifteen 100 XBH seasons in MLB history.

Here's an answer I didn't expect:

I'm sure I've read dozens of times that MLB used as few balls as humanly possible prior to 1920. That it was common to have black, misshapen, soggy balls continue in play. Bill's response seems to call that into question.

I guess we'll have to wait for the folks at retosheet to get the pre-WWII data up to snuff to really check.

Thanks for asking.

Double #28 today in team game 66.

Thru 66 Red Sox games in 1931, Earl Webb had 31 doubles.

Manny is still maintaining a tremendous record breaking pace of 69. He is seven doubles ahead of the pack, with Chris Davis actually second in MLB right now at 21. Perhaps Davis deserves his own XBH thread, as he is on pace for 52 HR and 52 2B. There have only been fifteen 100 XBH seasons in MLB history.

4 of which happened in 2001 alone.

Per ESPN stats, Manny Machado is the 5th AL player in his age 20 season or younger to hit 30 doubles in a season. The last to do it was Alex Rodriguez in 1996.

Boom.

And it's not even the first day of summer yet. I know Harper is injured and he's a good player but man am I glad that this is our guy. This is a great kid. Love rooting for him and

watching him become a great player.

Doubles #29 and 30 today in team game 68.

Thru 68 Red Sox games in 1931, Earl Webb had 32 doubles.

Manny is not slowing down. Only 6 players in MLB have even 20 doubles yet, and MM has 30. He is going to deserve mainstream coverage sooon.

Speaking of which....

MLB ‏@MLB 23m

The last time anybody had 60 doubles in a season was 1936. Manny Machado just clocked his 30th. It is June 14.

Retweeted 670 times

In a season or at this point?

In an entire season. Most players don't have an age 20 season in the bigs. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone else on our current roster had one.

edit: Jonesy is the only one. His age 20 was a cup of coffee with the Mariners. 548 OPS in 74 ABs

Archived