Doubles Machine 2.0

tinamodotti

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Double #22 today.

On May 26th 1931, Earl Webb hit his 15th and 16th doubles of the season. Interesting note, Webb never hit more than 2 doubles in a game. Not in 1931 or any other year.

When Webb broke the record, it was only 5 years old, having been set by George Burns in 1926*, who won the MVP for the effort. Webb and Burns were both 33 in their recording setting years. Charlie Gehringer was 33 in 1936 when he hit 60 doubles(the only MLB player to hit exactly 60 in a season, he finished 4th in MVP voting).

Of the ninety-one 50 double seasons in MLB history, only one was accomplished prior to age 23. The aforementioned Arod. Notable players who went 50+ in their age 23 season: Stan Musial, Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and Enos Slaughter.

Webb 1931 doubles by Month

Apr 5

May 16

Jun 9

Jul 18

Aug 6

Sept 13

*1887 Tip O'Neill 52

1899 Ed Delahanty 55

1923 Tris Speaker 59

1926 George Burns 64

1931 Earl Webb 67

Eh, did some work for no good reason:

Webb 1931

0x 3-Double Games

11x 2-Double Games

45x 1-Double Games

95x 0-Double Games

11x Multi-Double Games

56x Double Games

67x Doubles

Machado 2013 Through 51 Games

2x 3-Double Games

1x 2-Double Game

15x 1-Double Games

33x 0-Double Games

3x Multi-Double Games

18x Double Games

23x Doubles

On Pace:

6x 3-Double Games

3x 2-Double Games

47x 1-Double Games

105x 0-Double Games

10x Multi-Double Games

57x Double Games

73x Doubles

Double #24 today.

May 29th 1931 was an off day for Webb and the Red Sox.

What a gorgeous piece of hitting this was. He's got the magic hands, for sure.

ibxPbBCqdZZA0P.gif

Yes, a perfect example of what Manny does so well: the magic hands, but also look at his head (down on the ball) and the footwork (shifting to a new arc) as he adapts to the pitch and drives it.

For accuracy sake, I should note that the 1931 season started in mid-April, as opposed to the beginning of April.

Today was team game #54 for Manny. On the 54th game of the 1931 Red Sox season, Earl Webb hit doubles #26 and 27. So they are neck and neck.

Also to note, of course, seasons were 154 games at that point. Manny would need 71 doubles to beat Webb's per game average.

For accuracy sake, I should note that the 1931 season started in mid-April, as opposed to the beginning of April.

Today was team game #54 for Manny. On the 54th game of the 1931 Red Sox season, Earl Webb hit doubles #26 and 27. So they are neck and neck.

Also to note, of course, seasons were 154 games at that point. Manny would need 71 doubles to beat Webb's per game average.

I'll be happy if he just gets 68 by game 154. That'll do for me, even if he hits no more for the remaining games.

Thanks for the clarification on game numbers. Going forward I find that comparison more useful than the date comparison.

For accuracy's sake, the American League of 1931 was probably about on par, talent-wise, with the Japanese League of today.

Get the 71, Manny. You don't need no stinking astrerisk next to your record.

I was actually thinking about it before the season started but the double is such an awesome hit. I of course love homers and triples too heh but a double there's just something

about doubles that I just love. Maybe it's because when you hit one, you almost always score a guy on first and you all but eliminate the chance for the double play (supposing the

opponent doesn't intentionally walk the next guy.) What's great about Machado's doubles is these will turn into homers as he gets older and stronger. I'd be happy if he got 50 and

it looks like he's on his way for more than that. What a great hitter this guy is. He's the most excited Oriole prospect I've seen in a long time.

Archived